1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about Americans representing China in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Major

Major Member

I thought you loved Elon Musk.

VooDooPope and Nook like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eileen Gu has a lot of reasons to compete for the PRC, including 30 million reasons.. As I said in the thread about her I'm not sure it's just the money but that probably has a lot to do it.

Zhu Yi / Beverley Zhu is the more interesting case. She is the skater that was born in CA and lived a big part of her life there. Her parents are PRC citizens with her dad a computer science professor at UCLA. Apparently the PRC had a program they started a few years ago to try to woo top athletes especially ethnic Chinese athletes to compete for the PRC. Unlike Eileen Gu who has been coy about her citizenship Zhu Yi actually relinquished her US citizenship. As an American she had an outside chance to compete for Team USA so it her case it might've given her a much better shot to at the Olympics for Team PRC. As is she was chosen as the lone PRC women's figure skater over some native athletes.

Her Olympics haven't been like Eileen Gu's either after falling and crying during her team performance which cost the PRC a chance at the podium she's been flamed on Chinese social media. I also don't know how much endorsement money she's getting and unless she pulls off a miracle this week likely won't medal.

Also is the the PRC Hockey team that is made up mostly of American and Canadian players. Many of these players had played in Beijing for a team that was part of the Russian KHL league. It sounds like in that case the PRC is being mum about dual citizenship as it doesn't sound like they've rejected their original citizenship. For these players it sounds like they have developed bonds in the PRC playing for the Beijing team but also given that this was the worst hockey team in the KHL and Team PRC is one of the worst in the Olympics they likely don't have a shot making it for the Canadian and US teams.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-the-american-made-team-china-011658456.html
    [​IMG]

Nook and tinman like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I understand it's easy to call these people "traitors" for not representing their home countries, especially going to a country like the PRC. The opportunity to go to the Olympics is very rare. In many sports it is harder to get to the Olympics than it is to make it to the MLB, NBA, NHL or other major league level competition. It can be a life changing experience and for someone like me who does a sport with no major league it is the pinnacle of achievement.

Many athletes especially in many of these sports it is an all consuming obsession. They aren't doing the sport for patriotism but because it is what defines themselves. If competing for another country gives them the best shot at the Olympics I can certainly see why they would want to.

Here's a personal story. I was a decent Judoka but certainly not the upper echelon. When I was in grad school I did a semester at the National University of Singapore. I got to train with the Singapore National Judo Team and even defeated some of their national team players. That's far more of a reflection on the Singapore team than it is me. As a smaller country to the Singapore could bypass some of the competition requirements to get to the Olympics. I was tempted to give up my US citizenship to become a Singaporean if that meant I could go to the Olympics.

Nook likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It can be better with politicians who actually care about the problems and struggles millions of Americans face, and do something to address the areas we ignore that other countries don't.

That rules out most of the GOP candidates, because their focus is not on affordable healthcare, more support and help for the mentally ill, poverty and homeless, the uninsured, education, environmental hazards from chemical plants, people needing to work for a living wage, occupational safety compliance and regulations, encouraging equality and diversity, addressing hate crimes and racial violence, gun regulations, or working to help clean the environment and get on board addressing climate change.

Their focus is on making voting harder, border, border, border, easing gun restrictions, spreading lies and propaganda, and voting against anything that helps anyone but their rich and powerful good old boy donors and supporters. You know, the Oil barons, NRA, Big business owners, and the Good Old Boys at the country clubs. The golden spoon fed inherited wealth snobs. Oh, and the white collar criminals types who won't hesitate to do their dirty work and lie for favors. The ones who helped with the big lies about voter fraud, the big lie about Trump winning the election and the traitors who helped plan the coup, and the power mongers who helped cover Trump's criminal behavior and voted not to impeach him.

#24 deb4rockets, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s a Texan

thousands of years when humans colonize Mars and other planets

the galaxy would thank him for saving the species

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I'm for the individual deciding what's best for them, whether it was Chen repping US or Gu repping China (or Andre Blanche repping the Philippines)

Kanye:

"You see, if you ever wanted to ever be anything
    There'd always be somebody that shoot down any dream
    There'll always be haters, that's the way it is
    Hater [explicit] marry hater[explicit] and have hater kids"

Sweet Lou 4 2, B-Bob and FrontRunner like this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I didn't call them traitors. I just don't root for them or have much respect for them representing a communist country as Americans. Just my opinion as a 20 year Veteran.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You don't have to root for them.

I'm just explaining the mindset. If you've dedicated your life to getting the Olympics the country you do it for might seem less important than just being an Olympian.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I see you are very smart sir

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I understand their mindset. I just don't have the same one. Sports over country is something I wouldn't consider when it's representing a Communist country. Then again, those types would probably never serve our country to begin with.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I may speak for the minority in the D&D
    But I root for the Rockets
    @Clutch
    @Os Trigonum
    @basso
    @J.R.
    @Space Ghost

12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

This.

We may disapprove of her decision. But isn't it great that -- as an American -- she has the freedom to do so?

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah but Chen was born in the USA like Springsteen

there’s a factor that nobody is talking about

1. The good looking factor
    China wouldn’t accept her If she was Aquafina .
    That was one of the criticisms of Shang Chi from China

@Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

just wanna chime in to say yo fukkk awkwajarjar

tinman and Invisible Fan like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't like it, but it's her right and I don't think the politics should get in front of an athletes decision to compete or get paid.

While she's now a (luxury) sock puppet for the PRC, the Olympics has always been a multi-billion dog eat dog business that puts mostly children in an environment to compete and "sacrifice" at the highest levels in order to medal and represent something larger than they are. The fact that countries buy their way into locations or look the other way during scandals by essentially burning the athletes or whistleblowers removes any notion of the Purity of the Sport to me.

I mean Russia might not have these medals officially on record, but they still bought their way out of another doping scandal.

If you aint cheatin, you aint tryin.

If I was an athlete forced to perform under that creed, might as well do the math and fatten my bank account.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

She would be in China either way. She would be an Olympian either way.

I don't have a problem with those who switch country affiliates to get there, but if you don't, I think it is wrong to represent a country you've never lived in.

Nook likes this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I know that Gu would be an Olympian regardless, but there are Americans on the China hockey team who would not be on the USA team. The figure skater also, most likely, would not have made the USA team.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Which I understand the choice they make. I won't knock somebody taking their shot.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tricky one. I mean, Hakeem represented the US in the Olympics in 1992, not Nigeria...

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nigeria probably wouldn't have been able to qualify for the olympics even with Hakeem - they may have not had enough players even back then.