1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone starting to lose a bit of faith in the front office?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCHAMP, Feb 15, 2022.

?

Are you still as confident in the front office?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2022.
  1. Yes

31.5%
  2. No

38.9%
  3. On the fence

29.6%
  1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Same as OP

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The fact you are so dense you don't even realise they meant Chris Paul, is astounding.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Things are worrisome for sure. I have liked the drafting but have concerns about the development of those picks. I liked the Harden deal but pretty much all other moves have been trash.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

???

Yeah, because this is sooo awesome. Try again.

When will Tillman build a champion here in Houston?

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I don't like the moves either, but one thing with ClutchFans is, we don't have much patience.

Remember, this is a rebuild. Rafa is going to have his fair share of crappy moves, but as long as the tank is rollin', I don't give a ****.

Just get those top draft picks the next few season and develop them with our future young core.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Tilman ever wins a championship, then he really lucked out.

For someone who is not willing to spend the big buck, does not know a lick about basketball, surrounds himself with mediocre people.

Puts a crappy family photon on a professional team's mural.

Someone has to gift him another superstar as OKC did beforehand.

7. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

In just to see all the delusional fans saying "it had to be this way to get a top 5 pick".

There are teams outtanking us in very category. In trades, in minutes given to prospects, even the quality of our building blocks are worst.
    The one success was the draft and he cant compound that assigning proper minutes. Stone lets his average trades have more minutes on the court than his above average draft picks.

It's unexplainable. And fellows here trying to rationalize that are bonkers.

8. Xopher

Xopher Member

I agree with you to an extent. However, letting Schroeder and Gordon on the court at the same time is ridiculous. Let Schroeder and JC play together as the 2nd unit. KPJ and Jalen play together. Maybe some KPJ and Gordon. Schroeder would be fine as a vet presence next year on the same type of contract. Gordon has to be gone this off-season. Now we signed Nix and he has to get time too. I'm indifferent to Wood. He'd be okay if he got benched every time he made some selfish or boneheaded decision. Shape him up or ship him out.

MettaWorldPete and gfab-babyboi like this.
  9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’m on the fence. I like Stone, but he missed this trade season pretty badly. I do think he drafted well and has us pretty well set in a lot of ways going forward, but it’s still very much a work in progress. Ask me again a year from now. I have a feeling things will start looking much better once the roster changes with Wall, Gordon, etc. off the books.

10. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Our complete lack of any defense is also very worrisome. I’ve never seen so many easy layups by an opposing team before. How does a GM not think about the makeup of a team including defenders? We are super short, poor defenders, poor shooters. These last two trade deadlines have been the worst. Why are we keeping veterans that won’t be here that we could get assets for??? They take away minutes from our young players. This is a complete disaster.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We are playing Moreyball. No development for our bigs in the paint and no midrange game for our stellar backcourt. The blueprint looks like a failure

I'm giving Stone his last chance on draft day

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's pretty funny how shocked people are. A lot of yall are still really years behind. you were warned of whats going on a long time ago

#32 YOLO, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  13. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Stone has made plenty of good moves. Morey missed on stuff all the time. If Stone had picked Mobley over Green our rebuild would look great right now. That’s the only real major miss for me.

I can’t defend acquiring Schroeder and having him take away Christopher’s minutes though. I don’t understand that at all.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It does not really good. One pick won't save the campaign, he will likely have several picks.

Banchero and Smith are very good prospects..... Chet high upside but just a pogostick.

I would go with the underrated pick if it is going to be No.4 or No. 5.

Nothing spectacular for now.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

This is what Stone said

“I think Eric’s been extraordinarily helpful to the development of our guards,” Stone said at Friday’s post-deadline press conference. “My hope is that Dennis is helpful in the same way. They’re both, we think, helping these guys (younger players) develop.”

“We play a five-out system, so you need multiple perimeter players on the court, and multiple ballhandlers,” Stone said. “One of the things that is hard about playing four or five young guys at the same time is that making reads as a young player in the NBA is difficult.”

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I never had any profound faith in them from the off. They're performing about as expected considering their performance last year. I'm more surprised that people are just now figuring out what level they're at.

fryjol7 likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

....No, not yet.

The biggest knock is the #2 pick.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That right there is why Sengun doesn't play more, his 3ball sucks.

And against the Jazz the way to beat them is to punish Gobert for standing in the lane on D with a 40% or better 3ball....from the C position.

DD

19. BreakYoSelfFool

It is hard to have faith or even confidence in a rookie front office. I would say most people had hope or optimism. In my opinion, Stone's moves have been solid. Aside for not making the best moves in the Harden trade saga, there haven't been many glaring mistakes. I know many people believe that choosing Green over Mobley was a blunder, but it is far too early to say that. In my opinion, rookies should be judged by their growth, and not by their initial success or struggles. Many rookies are struggling and hitting the wall in Feb, but I think Jalen has shown a great amount of growth. It is impressive that he could show such improvement during the season, and I think he has benefitted from being thrown in the deep end.

While he hasn't made too many mistakes, I don't see as much growth from Stone. I think he hurts himself with his trade posturing. Seems like every year he claims has many offers and deciding on the best one, only to end up with very underwhelming deals.

Either:
    1. he's lying/exaggerating offers
    2. he's getting played by other GMs
    3. he's waiting and being greedy while all the offers dry up
    4. he doesn't know how to close deals
    5. he believes not making any deal benefits the team more (he's stupid)
    Despite his claims of the 5th option, I think it's probably one of the first 4. If you can trade Eric Gordon for a 1st, without adding a longer deal you take it while his value is at a high point. If you can get a 2nd for swapping Wall & Westbrook, why not? At this point, using roster spots to obtain, evaluate. and develop young players is very important.

flamingdts and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Faith, like trust, take time to build. This FO hasn't had enough of it, for me.

So no faith has been lost cause there wasn't any to begin with.

snowconeman22 likes this.