1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire Lovie Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not all the information comes from Texans Talk...

2. raining threes

I'm sure RAC or Lovie's son will help Lovie out if he needs help.

3. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Ok so you’re saying you have sources that no media member or basically anyone else has? And that you were able to get this information even though Caserio locked down the leaks, as you stated?

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don’t have anything. Others do and have stated it on social media.

Whether you believe it or not? Not my problem. Believe the narrative that makes you feel better.

raining threes likes this.
  5. havoc1

havoc1 Member

That is certainly what appears to be happening here.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Well, believe what you want. Tired of arguing with idiots.

7. havoc1

havoc1 Member

It appears your go-to move is just to cause people that disagree with you idiots. And I wasn’t aware we were arguing. You just seemed extremely confident explaining why the Texans were not going to pick Mccown as coach as if you knew that was the case. In the future you might want to preface your opinions with a disclaimer that you got this information from social media and that you could just as easily be wrong.

Trying to pass off the rumors you choose to believe as fact to prove someone else is wrong is disingenuous.

charlieaustin and The Real Shady like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Just because Easterby got his boy 3 interviews, doesn't mean he was going to be HC. That is the fact people use..."you don't interview someone 3 times within a year and not hire him". Since there were no leaks, people speculated. If Easterby had all the power people claim he has, Cal would not have hesitated to hire him. Caserio wanted Gannon...Gannon didn't want Lovie as his DC. That is where things fell apart with him. Flores would have been a distraction. Cal wasn't going to approve McCown. No way to sell it to the fanbase. Caserio wanted to pause and wait til after the Super Bowl to continue the search. Cal didn't want to wait and pivoted to Lovie. Is that true? Who knows? Doesn't matter. Lovie is the HC.

Again...believe what you want.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Anyone who was paying attention could see what the Texans were up to with McClown. He was going to be the guy which is why Nick kept giving all of those meaningless interviews to provide the illusion that this time the Texans had engaged in a comprehensive coaching search (unlike last year). And, having left no stone unturned, they had come to realization that the best guy to lead this wretched organization out of the muck was a guy with no NFL or collegate coaching experience (which made him even less qualified than the previous hire). Something happened over the weekend because you get Goodell's scripted response to the Flores lawsuit on Saturday and then out of nowhere on Sunday, Lovie's their guy. Only thing missing at the press conference was Nick bringing the coffee. Had they actually hired McClown, it would have been a slamdunk for the Flores lawsuit as there would have been no way for the league to justify that hire. And there was NO way in hell that the cabal of rich white men who blackballed a black player (Kaepernick) for quietly kneeling in protest were going to allow such a thing (losing the Flores lawsuit) to come to pass.

clos4life and mario_v like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

So says the person who's always wrong about everything Texans related....

vinsensual and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

For some reason the same people every year want everything about the team to be some conspiracy theory

12. Buck Turgidson

LOL...Believe what you want!!!

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

If that was the case, then don't you McCown as QB Coach? Coach in-waiting? Josh McCown is probably not going to be on this staff. They basically hired a QB in White, just doesn't have the title yet. If Easterby had all the power, it wouldn't have matter about Flores' lawsuit. Caserio wanted Gannon. Cal McNair wanted to keep Lovie as DC. When Caserio and Easterby couldn't agree on a Candidate, Cal made the decision. McNair didn't want McCown, but would have probably gone that way if Caserio wanted him. Caserio wanted to open the search back up after Gannon turned them down because of Lovie. McNair said no and that is when Lovie because the option.

Do I have proof? Nope. Just what I heard around the various grapevines....

raining threes likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What if they hire McCown as QB coach in a few weeks, in order to distance themselves further from Flores?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Here again you are basing your entire reasoning on a complete hypothetical. You can’t basically say “I don’t know is if this is true or not, but if it is it sure does help my beliefs, so that’s what I choose to believe” and expect to have your opinion taken seriously.

Caserio went on 610 (I believe it was there and not at the press conference) and basically gave justification for hiring an inexperienced head coach that just came from playing. He brought up athletes like Steve Nash, John Lynch (front office), and Monty Williams as examples of people that have gone straight from playing to a head coaching/front office role without prior experience.

So rather than listen to the grapevine (social media), I choose to pay attention to the multiple reporters who thought Mccown was the hire, as well as Caserio himself who, for some reason, already had justification ready for the Mccown hire.

But by all means keep using a rumor to show people how incorrect they are about the Texans.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Or Caserio was doing a misdirection. You don’t think he was hearing what the media was saying? He comes from the Patriots, who are masters of misdirection.

Why let everyone know what you are doing?

They fired the PR woman because the front office leaked like a sieve. Since then, no information gets out unless they want it out.

Believe what you want…

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. havoc1

havoc1 Member

No I don’t think he is doing that since there is no reason to. Your theory is starting to get pretty convoluted. The more likely scenario, in my opinion of course, is that Caserio was introduced to Mccown last year by Easterby and was impressed enough by him to want to give him the job this year. But once the Flores lawsuit came out the Texans brain trust realized they couldn’t hire a completely unqualified person as head coach over the person who filed the lawsuit. So they switched to Lovie who is more than qualified and a great fall back option.

I don’t think Easterby runs the Texans, but I do think he has more influence than they like to let on. And that frustrates me since he is less qualified to have have input on team decisions than Mccown is to be a head coach.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok. Believe what you want.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

People on social media are not grapevines. They throw random stuff out there that they believe and they call it a rumor or fact because there is no way to get fact checked and it gets them clout with rumor hunters.

havoc1 likes this.
  20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The latest Locked on Texans podcast with Aaron Wilson is pretty good for those interested in actual discussion on all this.

Fantasma Negro likes this.