1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive Principles and Ball Movement not a part of Rockets Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bj3175, Jan 7, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lmao, Wood just likes to flex his muscles because he thinks he is a big deal.

Worst 19 and 11 guy ever.

Seems to get worse and worse during the course of a season.

clutchdabear and aaquaa like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

or if he rewarded players that play well or who pass to cutters and play defense instead of players that look like the real pros

when you punish alpi your best player because hes playing great on offense and defense and you punish him time and again, and you bench him when hes playing well and you reward with more pt players that dont play well, this is only natural....
    what else did you expect?

Downtown Sniper and aaquaa like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Exactly.

Wood is terrible on defense and does nothing as the lone big man to cover for his young guards and wings. He offers no rim protection and is often out of position.

For the most part this entire team sucks at defense.

Even Garry....he does get in position to take charges, but generally his defense is below par.

It's like they don't have any principles that they adhere to as a group. They gamble and over help whenever they feel like it. They aren't playing for each other on either side of the ball.

Stephen_A, jdjd, gfab-babyboi and 3 others like this.
  4. anchel

anchel Member

Wood is an OK defender as PF, really bad at center. Porter is really bad at PG and Green at SG. Tate is a good defender but very undersized as PF (better as SF or backup PF). Martin is really bad, Christopher and Brooks are terrible, Sengun can be OK but is unexperienced, now also bad. Gordon always has been very good at 1on1, not as good at everything else (helping, boxing out, transition defense, intangibles). Augustin is bad, Nwaba can do it well but there is a reason why he has played in so many teams, he commits mistakes, has low IQ and is undersized as SF. Overall, out roster is pretty limited defensively. And smallball helps the offense but not the defense.

We should've kept Exum, a good defender. We should have some forwards with proper size and some of our young wings should be of a defensive profile.

Now, I would try to start with Wood+Sengun and see what happens. We may have to play Theis some backup minutes if Garuba is not ready. Also, I think Queen is a better defender and overall player than Armoni, and if you want to play Christopher I wouldn't pair him with PGs at this stage, just with backup SGs. Bring some size/toughness at the wing/forward spots at the deadline.

#24 anchel, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How I feel reading almost any thread that isn’t the hats of for Bill Worrell thread

[​IMG]

it just seems like endless babble out everybody’s ass, but I guess that’s what the forum is for at the end of the day

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I seem to remember this board had the same opinion about JB Bickerstaff (and his predecessor for that matter). Now JB is the coach of the Cavaliers' future.

7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

David Silas
    Stephen Culley
    Pretty much interchangeable?
    You certainly have to admit what they’re working with…..

DaDakota likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So you're saying play Theis or play currently busted ankle Sengun with 7 fouls and an oxygen tank after 22 minutes i guess?

Good post, good effort. We need more posting like this - never stop

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^ a sign your team is in Dante's lowest circle

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Raptors, now Jazz. Anything Rockets can do to improve defense?

D-rock likes this.
  11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bench Wood

KJM was pissed today and for good reason

jdjd likes this.
  12. jdjd

jdjd Member

Exactly this.

Wood is so bad on defense that I noticed the other teams are constantly attacking him. They run pick and rolls and they already know he will get lost and not contest.

Smart coaches see this on film and make their team attack his super soft azz knowing he will give no resistance what so ever. I don't blame KPJ for getting pissed off at him, and I'm willing to bet the game when they both got suspended at halftime it was because KPJ called plyWood out and he got sensitive and cried to the coach. (don't quote me on this)

And we wonder why we couldn't get anything for Wood at the deadline, because other gm's knows he's just the cushion pin for other teams to stick their needles in at will.

Basketball is about more than being tall and athletic, it's about who has the biggest heart and will to win, and unfortunately Wood has neither.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets have best Drtg & box +/- when Wood lineups are on the floor.

Believe it or not.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2022/1/12/22879894/best-and-worst-houston-rockets-five-man-lineups

FYI

DaDakota and hakeem94 like this.
  14. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

D-rock likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Culture isn't created in one year.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yet our worst lineups have GREEN in common, not Wood.

It doesn't matter if Gordon is in those lineups either.

Just admit, you Wood haters have no clue what you're really seeing.

18. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Green defense has greatly improved since he came back from injury… guess who defense hasn’t….

drumroll

Wood

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm glad that he's improved from worst on the team.

But he still has a ways to go yet.

But you keep beating that drum.

20. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is one of the problems I have with tanking. It promotes bad habits and poor culture. Next thing you know you are Sacramento. I'm a big Coog fan, so don't do it, but Sampson is what you need.

aaquaa and D-rock like this.