1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Nix to 4 year contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Feb 14, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

who even ?

sengun and .... not wood lmao . Garuba look short . Tate I love but we are playing him out of position . Bruno ?

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Evan Mobley playing Power Forward really made his life easier.

Evan had a hard time at Center in the Summer League trying to defend bigger Centers.

Evan playing a Chris Bosh role as a weak side shot blocker and shooting midrange.

To me I was thinking hard on Evan Mobley that Evan definitely is not ready to play against bigger stronger Centers which is true. Chris Bosh role is perfect for him.

Hats off to JB to move Evan Mobley at Power Forward and Jarrett Allen plays Center.

jcmoon and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I had to laugh at myself
    I saw his Height Weight . ..and misread it

I was like 4yrs/230??!?!?!?!? WTF!!!!

Rocket River

Rokman, BossHogg713 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Solid move. Nix has more traditional PG skills in a mini-Wes Unseld body. As he continues to mature his body and game, he could be really good or eat himself into an international gig. Let's hope he continues to crush his opportunity.

Rokman likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Stay in the G-League Nix…. It’s better down there.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sure. Just don't have any plates of food around.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

It's time to stop being enamored with g leaguers and cast offs. It doesn't work. It never has. Do I really care right now, no. But at some point the team needs to get a clue so we can at least be on the same playing field as every other nba team.

TEXNIFICENT and palmsnbananas like this.
  8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

9. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

There are quite a few well known NBA vets that came up through the G-League:
    Khris Middleton, Fred VanVleet, Pascal Siakam, Rudy Gobert, Danny Green, Covington, Barea..

If you expand it to recent role players the list is even longer:
    Devonte Graham, Juan Toscano-Anderson, Gary Payton II (remember him?), Georges Niang, Derrick Jones Jr, Kendrick Nunn

This is all just 5 mins of research.

So yeah, it does work.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Then it's a head scratcher on why we drafted Jalen then. KPJ and Jalen are 2s.

I think they are doing their best to convert KPJ into a 1, which I think is a mistake.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice move. Very low risk.

I'm just puzzled by what the Rockets are doing though.

KPJ, Green, Josh Christopher, Daishen Nix. So many young guards. Then we have Eric Gordon and Dennis Schroeder likely playing heavy minutes. And hell, John Wall is at least technically still on the roster.

It would be nice if we could add some 6'8-6'9 wings. Won't be mad when we take one of Chet, Jabari and Paolo either.

palmsnbananas and BossHogg713 like this.
  12. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Nix aka the new Lowry.

Isn't he another close friend of Jalen Green? All his friends seem to be good, just go on his IG and scout his friends.

13. Xopher

Xopher Member

Dumb question, but does this year count as Year 1 of the 4 year deal? Also I hope he has better character than Watson because Nix will be needing glute massages from sitting on the bench with Silas as coach.

fryjol7 and BossHogg713 like this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The Rockets have hated front court depth since they parted with Barkley. All these years and never 3 rotation level bigs. Cato, Thabeet, Dorsey, nah. Yao, Scola, Mutombo was probably the best by far and both Yao and Mutombo exploded.

But I'll never be mad about a high upside player on a good contract. At worst we use them for a roster balance trade.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Good signing. He has been consistently good in GLeague and seems to be getting better. Yes we seem to have all Gs right now, but we are a young team, so we can collect a bunch of young talented Gs and see who sticks for now. We can draft bigs and Fs and get them in FA later in the rebuild process. We still a few years out so no rush to do much of anything but develop players and see what you got.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, as I have said all along they are the SAME player, both need the ball in their hands and neither are good at moving off the ball etc....

IMHO it will come down to a choice between KPJ and Green and right now, Green is the odd man out.

DD

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What Stone is doing never works because Nix won't be put in a position to gain any value around the league. So why sign him long term when you'll probably have to waive him this Summer anyways? Hinkie signed Covington to a deal like this when the Sixers were bottoming out and it worked. He was put in a position to show he could grow into a valuable player. Nix will never get minutes over KPJ, Schroader, and JC.... never. Garbage minutes won't help him. So why 4 freaking years???? Every player signed like this to the Rockets in the past few years has had to be waived. It's kind of pointless IMO.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Nah, I believe KPJ is the odd man out.

Rafa spent the #2 pick on Jalen. I believe he'll be here for the future along with Sengun, Christopher, and Usman.

KPJ has been more of a project and eventually my guess will become more of a rotational bench player when Jalen takes over the 2 spot.

jcmoon likes this.
  19. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Hey..we’re trying to lose here

jcmoon likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Do I expect much out of him, no. But there's nothing you can complain about with this deal.

He surprises and becomes a great, or even decent player and it's a steal. He doesn't, then it costs basically nothing, no risk involved.

He should be playing regular NBA minutes right now...instead of a guy like Schroeder.

Nook likes this.