1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire Lovie Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's true that the ridiculous b**** fit by Flores is the reason the Texans went with Smith as a placeholder hire that checks diversity boxes. That doesn't mean it can't work out though.

2. Major

Major Member

And yet, which of these aren''t assumptions:

I agree with whoever it was that said it would be nice if this doesn't get quietly settled and we get to the discovery phase of all this. It will be very illuminating rather than everyone just believing whatever they want to.

cmoak1982, Sooty and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The league is going to try to make Flores' suit go away in the same manner as it buried the Colin Kaepernick mess (which the owners brought on themselves) by trying to get this lawsuit moved to arbitration where everything can be then be "hidden" with a confidential settlement. That way the NFL hopes that it will fade away as time passes.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

We now take you back in time to 1988:

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m fine with discovery. I’m fine with the truth. I’m not fine with people wanting ownership to be bad people to minorities so they can be forced to sell, because they don’t like the ownership.
    There is literally no proof of what transpired, people are making guesses off of media reports that don’t have any access to the Texans. It’s “popular” to **** on the Texans right now.

raining threes likes this.
  6. a time to chill

Once Flores filed the lawsuit the Texans backed away from hiring McCown. At that point, the remaining "announced" candidates were Gannon and Flores. Texans didn't want to hire Gannon so Flores should've gotten the job. Instead, they pivoted to Smith. If they didn't want Flores, the Texans should've hired Gannon. No one would've criticized them for doing that because at least he has some qualifications. Pivoting to Lovie Smith the way they did is highly suspicious.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is all your opinion. None of it is fact

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Gannon was the choice, not McCown. Gannon backed away because Cal McNair wanted to keep Lovie as DC. McNair was not going to approve McCown. Easterby pushed hard, but Cal actually showed a backbone.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to know that is an outright lie......qualifications are absolutely irrelevant to race hustlers and the simpletons who support them, they only care about the skin color of who gets hired.....that's why they absolutely had to go with Lovie Smith.

That won't completely stop the crying, but it won't be anywhere near as loud now.

He'll be here for a few years, then when some time has passed and the general public isn't quite as Balkanized as they are right now, the team can try to hire someone based on merit alone.....maybe, if that time ever comes again.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This would be a worthwhile argument if you could actually make a merit based claim for Gannon or the other finalist they allegedly passed on in McCown.

11. justtxyank

Gannon backing away has been refuted by Rappaport and Aaron Wilson. Even the lady who was breaking all of the stuff about him online said the Texans turned him down and he wanted the job.

Rudyc281, raining threes and gucci888 like this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You've posted this a few times. Where are you getting this?

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Adam Schefter confirmed that the Texans were going to hire Josh McCown until Brian Flores filed a lawsuit against the nfl.

a time to chill likes this.
  14. justtxyank

There was initially a rumor online (was shared in here by me I think?) but it got disputed so without any further corroboration, or even a new rumor, it seems silly to keep running with it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. justtxyank

Adam Schefter: "The Texans were going to hire McCown I think..."

Mario_v: "Adam Schefter confirmed that the Texans were going to hire Josh McCown..."

Rudyc281, cmoak1982 and Mr.Scarface like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, fair.

I guess I should say, I hope that's what they'll do in future.

Given the candidates, I think Smith wins on merit too..... but I don't think much of the candidates.

My hope is someone better is available in a few years when they dump Smith

raining threes and justtxyank like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

"...I think"

Caserio had leaks on lockdown. No one knew what the Texans were going to do....even the Texans....lol. People assume McCown because they think Easterby has control. He doesn't. He has influence, but even Cal McNair knew there was no way for him to sell the fanbase on McCown. Caserio wanted Gannon. I think the person Easterby has a spell over is Janice McNair. Cal, yes. Janice...hell yes.

#397 Mr.Scarface, Feb 14, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  18. justtxyank

I think it’s plausible that this is how the Texans felt as well. Lovie is a stable solid coach, hopefully a better candidate is available in a couple of years

#398 justtxyank, Feb 14, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  19. havoc1

havoc1 Member

If no one knew what the Texans were going to do how can you be so confident with this information? I know somebody posted this stuff on Texanstalk but that doesn’t make it true. And if Caserio really did shut down leaks then no one would know this information that you apparently know. Both things can’t be true.

And I’m specifically referencing the Caserio wanted Gannon portion because everything else could be speculation by you I suppose.

20. raining threes

Dont you think owners should move on from HC's that their teams under achieve, regardless of the race of the HC? I know the McNair's let RS/BOB hang around far too long.