1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets turned down first-round pick offers for Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Other teams have roster spots for them. The Rockets are overflowing with young guys that are probably better than late FRPs in 2022.

Small minded thinking is being closed to possibilities. There is a possibility that Stone is a lawyer and did his due diligence on what a late FRP would get him in a trade or in the draft, and with consulting with his staff decided keeping Gordon for now is the best option over the options for a trade.

I consider Gordon still being on the team a failure. Though, I consider the failure more getting backed into a corner than rejecting an offer that doesn't help the Rockets.

Edit: This shouldn't be construed that all the young Rockets are better than all the people that will be selected with a late 2022 FRP or SRP, or that all the young Rockets make it as NBA players. It is just who do you decide to roll the dice on.

#81 Joe Joe, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    hakeem94 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I think this entire thread is based on a misinterpretation of Feigen's quote.

I read Feigen's article as just an educated guess at what the best offers MIGHT have been. I don't read that as the Rockets FOR SURE having been offered 2022 first round picks and turning those offers down.

Like most of you, I was pissed at last year's trade deadline based on what I thought was the Rockets' front office leaking Oladipo trade offers to Woj that possibly didn't exist. (Whether that's true or last-second shifts at the deadline - like the Vucevic trade - causing those offers to be pulled is something we may never know.) But I don't think the Rockets repeated those errors here. While they certainly made it known through the media what offers they WOULD accept, I don't recall seeing any concrete reports of the Rockets ACTUALLY being offered a first rounder for Eric Gordon.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They were telling teams they had 2 separate FRP offers.

Jake Fisher mentioned they had offers of a FRP in both his Green Room and Half Time APP appearances.

edit: found it.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/n...ce=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tan

Bo6, HP3 and Nook like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

im sure we’ll find out eventually ;)

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Only teams that would want Eric Gordon right now would be a team contending....
    so naturally that would probably be a late first round pick (if it was for this darft)

What were the Rockets thinking going into this trade deadline? That they would
    get an early first round draft pick? Makes no sense.

I truly feel Wood showing that he is content being a Rocket changed the dynamics
    of the situation. Rockets no longer felt a need to accumulate multiple first
    round picks to move up in the draft to get an early pick outside of their own.

Why spend 4 first round picks to move up and get Chet or Banchero
    ( we pick Jabari Smith for the sake of argument only) when you
    have Wood already on the cusp of being proven and a 20 pt 10 rebound
    guy already? Most rookies take 3 to 4 years to develop as a rule.

We see it with Jalen Green....I say he will be good next season as
    he gains about 10 pounds of muscle and matures as a late bloomer
    while others say he is a bust right now.

6. jogo

jogo Member

Is it possible that this is all some kind of cost saving measure by Tilman? He doesn't want to take back salary so he's going to keep EG and Wood until their contracts run out? Tilman seems like a meddler like Jerry Jones and I feel that his fingerprints are on all of our bad decisions. He only cares about saving money, not about our team doing well. Does he not understand that a good Rockets team will make him more money?

I understand the idea that three draft picks this year doesn't work. But the asset of that draft pick can be flipped for a player or another pick in a later year. And our young players need more playing time, keeping EG here blocks that. I don't see how EG has more trade value this offseason than he did at the deadline.

EG has been a real boost this year. He's 33, maybe he really wants to settle and stay here for the last two years of his career. But I can certainly see why he'd want to go to a better team and have a chance at a ring. If the Rockets' mouthpieces say EG wants to stay then should I believe them or think this was another lie meant to drum up trade value? If he wants to play after this contract and make good money then I think that definitely points to him going to a contender and showing value for a playoff team. How does he show his value on our shtshow?

Wood might want to stay because he can get his shots here, be our top scorer, and these stats help him get a big contract soon. I hope we aren't the ones to give it to him.

Little Bit likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

We have 4 rookies this year.

I can understand they don’t want another 4 rookies next year (including second rounders). I am sure the FO was aware they could trade those picks but I think we’ve seen enough drafts to where packaging picks doesn’t always work out.

Still disappointing.

8. futilman

futilman Member

Wow. Not only are we incompetent, we are selfish. EG deserves to be on a contender.

Stone/Fertitta defenders, where you at?

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Oh I know all indications are he's happy to be here yada yada, and I know that there's the "kicking the can down the road" 3D Chess game that Stone is apparently playing. However I'm just saying that my opinion ,as a pessimistic jaded b*stard, is that I wouldn't be shocked if all of that changes once back channels communicate to and get inside EG's head. I say that because that's what I would be very tempted to do if I was him, and as pissed off as alot of us are at Stone today, I can only imagine how pissed a player like EG would be if he was told "sit tight... .be a good dude publicly, and I'll promise I'll get you to a contender."

But look none of us know what's going on inside of EG's head. I'm just saying from my point of view.... I'd be in Stone's office myself telling him I'm pissed, and have my agent on the phone working a buyout so I can be in Philly by Monday morning.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think my biggest issue is the health and performance angles.

EGo was playing the best ball of his career, and he was healthy. Very low probability that we get that scenario again next year.

If we were offered a late 1st, I can somewhat understand waiting, but if a pick in the teens was was out there and we didn’t pull the trigger…terrible.

My guess is the FO wanted a 2023 or beyond pick and it wasn’t out there.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Very disappointing bit of info, honestly. Trust in F.O. definitely lessened.

You dont get 33 year olds having career shooting years boosting their value often. Unless other teams are that thorough seeing Gordon as "regression candidate", how much more sell-high can you get?

12. Nook

Nook Member

Sigh......... it is like what I said a few days ago. The Rockets had offers for Gordon from a few teams.... #1 picks, and Stone held out for more and those teams (Cleveland etc) moved on and targeted other players. Stone over played his hand yet again.

There is ZERO excuse for Eric Gordon still being on this roster.

Also the claim that the Rockets did not want a late #1 in this draft is dubious because they want to trade up for a second pick in the back half of the lottery. They know that they can move the #1 they get from Gordon for assets in the future. Stone overplayed his hand and was left with egg on his face and now they are claiming they didn't want an asset they gladly would have taken had the deal been on the table yesterday at the end of the deadline.

Instead we get Stone trading his free agent signing screw up for crap to get off the contract.... just a host of errors by the "deal maker".

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely sounds like damage control to me.

It's almost as if Rafa reads Clutchfans exclusively and knows that we have his ass on the hot seat along with the Fertitta family.

Crashlanded19 and Nook like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

The Theis signing wasn't a big deal at all because we are going to watch him play competent basketball on Celtics. We erased the signing like it never happened.

Seems like Theis was more of a Silas type vet.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I can count on one hand the number of times a team has had too many #1 picks. A team can almost always trade them for picks down the line.

Wood wants an extension. Wood is not a good fit with the Rockets roster. He is a poor defender and would be on the court with another poor defender in Sengun and another poor defender in Green. That won't work. Not to mention that Wood is a cancer.

Good luck winning anything with Banchero/Wood/Sengun as your interior defense.... none of them are even average defenders.

If the Rockets use assets to move Wall, they deserve to be ripped to shreds. He has one year left on his deal.

The Rockets front office lacks a clearly defined goal and appears to lack competence.

16. conquistador#11

What if Gordon didnt want to be traded. I thought him replying to Roosh with Htown hip hop was a sign for me that he wasn't f'ing leaving.
    *insert Leo gif
    I blame the Houston lifestyle and DD of course.

javal_lon likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Fair, but we have a history of trying to trade draft picks or trade up with draft picks that isn't very good.

Having like 8 rookies over 2 seasons would be a pretty bad move.

Corrosion and Nook like this.
  18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

Stone is the guy that dresses up really well and runs his mouth on the plane to Vegas that he is a great gambler.... only to be an ******* and hit on 20 at the black jack table and bust over and over again.

slothy420 and treyk3 like this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Live look at Nook's Rafael Stone.

Nook likes this.
  21. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

'He is a depreciating asset, it was beyond stupid not to trade him.

DD

tmoney1101 likes this.