1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forcing children to wear a mask is child abuse. The Left failed children.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 31, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Don't be a stupid person.

DD

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I wonder if kids in elementary school would also burst into cheers if told they no longer couldn't play with matches and no longer needed to wear seatbelts? I reckon that's the nature of being a child...

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The 'right' has lost any respect or right to call anyone snowflake

Ubiquitin and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are clutching at straws.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You are the one posting a video of grammar school kids cheering as justification in support of your crusade to increase health risks in school. But hey, you be you.

Ubiquitin and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

thanks for posting. this whole time I thought kids really liked wearing masks.

Ubiquitin and NewRoxFan like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

People protesting about law enforcement violence and structural criminal justice and wealth inequality issues that have accumulated for 200+ years are all outraged snowflakes.

People protesting having to wear a mask on their face are alpha patriotic Americans with true grit.

rocketsjudoka and NewRoxFan like this.
  8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You know their certain facilities, like hospitals, work sites, or chemical leaks. People are automatically asked to wear mask or are given mask to wear, so nothing happens to them, right. That's not to punish them or take away their liberties. It's not hysterics, I think people just don't want thousands or millions of children to die from an illness that is quite capable of doing that.

People don't want to shutdown schools or youth functions for whatever reasons. So, safety precautions are taken, so they won't catch the virus.

I don't see anything with the harm in that. Do you believe a school, organization, medical provider, or etc should be liable for someone who catches Covid-19 and is hospitalized for an extended period of time or dies from the illness?

It's not an issue that needs to be political

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You do know that kids (or anyone) can "not mind" wearing masks and also be really happy when they don't have to anymore.

Both things can be true.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not hot enough to be this crazy on the hot/crazy scale.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Life comes with risks. We will all die. If you look at the actual data, the potential benefit from a school mask mandate (which is questionable) does not outweigh the negative effects on children's development.

Yes, if you run around in a hazmat suit all day every day, it's less likely you will catch any infectious disease while you wear it. But your immune system will "forget" how to deal with bacteria and viruses and your health will actually be worse after a while.

Absence of Covid is not the same as being healthy.

Omicron is much less dangerous than previous variants. Children have a right to a normal life. Statistically, there is almost no threat to their life whatsoever from this, certainly much less than from other respiratory viruses like RSV, where nobody in their right mind ever demanded a mask mandate.

It's time to unmask the kids and go back to normal.

And more and more politicians are realizing this, from any party.

Whether some of you like it or not, masks for children will at best be optional in all schools and kindergartens in the near future. Because that is the right thing to do.

12. Rileydog

So serious talk, no sarcasm.

Do you assert this as 100 absolute fact? Do you take the position that the overwhelming majority of the scientific and medical community believe that the benefit of mandate does not outweigh the negative effects? Or do you assert this as your personal opinion and that there is some difference of opinion within the scientific and medical community?

If the latter, fine, I find no quarrel with the characterization of what scientists and doctors think. If it’s anything else, it’s flat out wrong.

The entire problem is the idiotic outrage. School administrators are being asked to make difficult decisions. Some are doing better than others. Whoop dee do. It’s the idiot parents screaming outrage as if there was an easy answer … those parents and people are the problem.

People these days don’t understand what is true hardship. The pandemic is not WWII. It’s not genocide. It’s not running for your life as things blow up around you. It is not even life in the US after WWII. People are freaking out about being told to wear a mask. America has a cultural problem that has been exposed during this pandemic.

I will end with this final point. What did the best funded, most elite private schools do during Omicron? They have the most financial resources. They have parents who are at the top of the medical community. They have Covid advisory boards comprised of the top doctors in the world class Houston area medical center. Methodist hospital. MD Anderson. TX Childrens Hospital. And so on. Does anyone question the credentials of these people?

If not, let’s consider what those schools did.

Want to guess?

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And let’s remember mask mandates are coming down as we’re seeing the number of new infections drop and as we’re learning more about how vaccines and prior infections can provide protection.

this shouldn’t be ideological. Yes there are trade offs with any public health campaign but given that this is still a very new disease in human histories it’s understandable that things are changing as we learn new stuff.

Ubiquitin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post.

Children dealing with the masks largely comes from the attitude their parents and families take. Parents that treat it like a tragedy will have children that think it is a tragedy and react differently than parents who acknowledge that it is for safety and consideration of others. Either way, there are almost know physical issues caused by wearing masks.

They are already moving to lessen mask restrictions as the numbers trend in favorable position. It isn't like they were created in a vacuum.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

those ****ing kids are clearly Trumpthuglicans

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

In science, there is rarely a "100 absolute fact". Part of the problem right now is precisely that only one scientific truth was being tolerated by much of the mainstream media and many of the big tech platforms. Interestingly, some of the things that were initially branded as conspiracy theories - like an introduction of vaccination mandates or the lab leak theory, etc., and where you would have gotten censored on some of the social media platforms even for having that opinion, either later happened as predicted by the alleged conspiracy theorists or at least it later turned out that there might be something to it (like the lab leak thing).

There are plenty of people who are experiencing "true hardship" today. People who have lost loved ones from Covid. But also people who have lost loved ones who killed themselves because they fell into a depression to which some of the excessive restrictions on their freedom might have contributed.

Your argument of "this is not WWII so I can lecture others that it must be dismissed as a non-serious grievance" is arrogant and wrong. Just because something is not WWII or genocide doesn't mean it doesn't have a serious effect on some people. Many people weren't allowed to see their dying relatives because of "Covid rules" (even if they weren't dying of Covid). Etc. etc. etc. You cannot just summarily and arrogantly dismiss all their concerns "because this is not genocide".

Small children being forced to wear mask is not genocide. It is not WWII. But it is a problem for many of them. And it will end soon, because parents are demanding it.

There is a time to err on the side of caution. I know many top doctors and scientists, including nobel prize winners. The fact that they have top credentials doesn't mean they all share the same opinions. In the beginning, it was understandable that everyone was erring on the side of caution. It was a new situation. We now know that Covid does not present a greater danger to the lives of children than, e.g. RSV or even the flu. We have also gathered a lot of data and knowledge about the effects of certain restrictions on the mental health of people, especially children and adolescents. We see that Covid is becoming endemic. We have to learn to live with it. And the majority of people will not want to have to walk through life masked forever, and much less forcing small children to wear masks many hours a day.

Therefore, these restrictions will end soon. Whether you like it or not.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Again, I don't think you know how pandemics work. From history, they can get out of control, pretty quickly, because viruses and bacterium can and do mutate, while some can build resistance against treatments or vaccines. You do understand how infectious diseases work, but our immune systems don't work, like that. There are precautions, people should take when we handle things in our lives. For example, we cook our meats, thoroughly because they are easier to chew, digest, and it kills most, if not all of the bacteria or parasites in the meat. We washed and sanitize our fruits and vegetables for the same reason. If you eat meat with bacteria or parasite in it, and don't get sick. That doesn't mean you gain immunity or your immune system has stronger tolerance for such things or creatures, by default. It may in some people, but not all people, especially with those with weaker immune systems (not even including people with auto-immune disease).

We don't have terminator level, like immune system, not yet, anyway. Diseases, like polio, rubella, and small pox were taken down alot, because of vaccines. But, a few of those older disease have made return, due to people not getting the vaccines for them.

If we go by the methodology that you used about diseases, we almost should've eliminate most STDs/STIs (because we have alot of sex, more exposure builds immunity), but many of them remain incurable and symptoms have gotten stronger, especially if people don't get medicine for them. That's why we are supposed to wear protection or get tested regularly.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I guarantee you that I know more about it than you do, and that I have direct access to extremely highly credentialed experts who know more about it than anyone on this forum.

19. Rileydog

Regarding my comment that this isn’t genocide etc, sure, I agree some folks have real issues and challenges. I would wager the vast majority of the outraged are just outraged for the sake of being outraged. It’s a sport to them.

as for the operative question about current mandates coming down … your comments about knowing top scientists, them not sharing the same opinion, we have a new situation. Ok, I guess I’ll take your word for it.

But you don’t have to take my word because it is fact — The top private schools in Houston do have Covid advisory boards comprised of the best pediatric doctors and scientists in Houston. They required elementary kids to mask during Omicron. They are have just gone mask optional expressly because all the data indicates Omicron is fading and the balancing of interests now indicates a change is appropriate. (@MojoMan I guess these folks are part of the cabal of evil Dems and they’re only really doing this for political gain).

Could they be wrong? Maybe
    Are they by far the most qualified people to make these decisions? Absolutely
    Is it ridiculous for me to presume that I can read stuff on the Internet or watch YouTube videos and think I know better? Yes.
    If I have a different view, should I lose my sh-T and rant? Yeah, no. (Not directed at you, directed at the ranters).

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes, not doubting you. As I said, initially, it is understandable to err on the side of caution. We now have more data about the pros and cons. We also have good evidence that the current variant is a lot less dangerous for everyone (not just for kids - even previous variants weren't more dangerous than some flu waves or RSV to the children themselves).

Note that my "rant" didn't come at the beginning of the pandemic. But it's been two years. For my children it's been almost their entire life, or half of it. It's time to let them be children without forcing a mask on them.