1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pallilo back soon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, May 10, 2017.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Rockets34Legend likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sportsradio, in the traditional form, is pretty much done. Most have gone towards podcasts. Of course radio still good for pre-game or post-game reaction, something you can't always do via podcast.

Charlie did try and adapt to that with most shows no longer featuring call-ins, and short/consistent segments (along with weekly guests). I'm sure his numbers just weren't where the advertisers wanted and given his longevity, I'm sure his contract also played a role.

Granted, not sure who's numbers are truly where advertising needs them to be.

But as much flack as some give him for not being a true Houstonian or homer.. he's been here on the air since 89 (before some guys who are on the air now were born), he's seen every version of every team at their best and their worst. He's got the encyclopedic memory/knowledge to be able to compare different eras. And he was present for every championship this city has ever won.

I'm sure he'll land back on his feet at some point given the cyclical nature of all sports radio stations/shows/hosts... but if this is where he decides to enjoy life, he deserves it.

Slyonebluejay and desihooper like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Charlie is by far the best local radio host, I’m sure he can get another gig if he wants it. Maybe should just do his own podcast now.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I haven't heard Charlie Pallio on the radio in like 10 years. That's crazy he's still on the air.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member

Radio continues to be easy to access and is good for live news and local sports. Podcasts are great for old news. I'm not interested in analysis of josh mccown when that's last week's news. pass

Not sure why there is so much hate for radio when music is the same songs over and over.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Streaming is also easy access for a large number of people and with streaming you have control over what you want to listen to and that's why radio is dying off.

Radio is the bell cow for same songs over and over that's what makes streaming more appealing to me and I like to listen to podcast.

I have not listened to Radio since I bought my latest car in 2017 when I was able to bluetooth my phone.

For sports you can get more in depth about stuff and listen to specific things about sports, how many times have we heared complaints about listening to Texans talk over and over.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I stopped listening to sports radio about 3 years ago? And I thought I was one of the last holdouts way back then. Forgot this guy existed. Which is sad.

Also random - I had a dream about Jim Rome last night. Never cared for the guy's material. Just.... random.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member

Podcasts are great for in depth.

I view podcasts as apples and oranges to radio and that said radio is way way better than podcasts for live and breaking news. Not even close

Twitter , Reuters, ap wire are great but who wants to hit refresh?

Ziggy and jiggyfly like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Why does the guy look more feminine than the woman?

Sports radio and podcast hosts are supposed to be former players and fat guys wearing Hawaiian shirts that eat nachos and pay for sex...

What the hell is up with "Paul"?

10. Nook

Nook Member

"Rack em'.... Ziggy in the H-Town loop bringing the fire harder than a fat girl at a Pancho's Sunday buffet. I appreciate it brotha! ..... Terry in So Cal is up next!"

[​IMG]

Slyonebluejay, K mf G, Ziggy and 3 others like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I spoke to him about 5 years ago and he is actually a big fan of Houston sports teams an considers this home. He said he just tries to be objective and would be objective anywhere he went. He also said that he is no longer called a yankee or carpet bagger, but he had to be here 25 years before it stopped..... said overall he finds people in Houston to be very nice.

Slyonebluejay and Xerobull like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually I had forgot about news, that is a saving grace for radio, but I never really listen to news as it is happening and never in the car.

Podcast and radio are apples to apples since they are what people use for entertainment in the vehicle.

Between podcast and satellite radio, I am surprised anybody still has a job in terrestrial radio.:D

IBTL likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member

Paul is funny.

He used to be on nights at 610 am. I would text him dumb stuff my daughter would say and he would bring it up somehow in his show. my daughter thought it was great and that he was talking to her. Good times.
    I wish him the best I always forget there is sports talk on fm

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its really gone from sports radio to nfl radio.

BigM and Nook like this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member

Old news is so exciting!
    Agree the only time I ever listen to radio is when in car or something hot in the news.

Probably I'm missing out but I find podcasts to be too long and old news for my attention deficit.

What are your top 5 podcasts?

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What part of town does he live in?

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My top 5 in no order.

Rewacthables
    Right time with Bomani Jones
    Still Processing
    The Lowe Post
    Several other Ringer podcast mainly about TV shows and Movies (Big Picture, The Watch, The Ringer Verse)

Spotify is where I listen to all my podcast.

https://blog.feedspot.com/the_ringer_podcasts/

IBTL likes this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member

Ok thanks I will try to check out

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Bomani Jones is the smartest guy in the field and he is hilarious..... I love his comments to Falcons fans after they lost the Super Bowl after they crushed him on social media at halftime.

Jones does a good job of mixing in social commentary too without deviating from sports.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, I mainly listen to him on Fridays when he has D Fox on, he can be a bit much if he does not have somebody to balance him out, he also is good when he talks about music.

I am a bit jealous of him, he has my dream career,

We probably grew up about 30 minutes from each other.