1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Thread 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

it could also be that a 33 year old with a 19m contract is not as valuable a commodity as fans think and frps are being attached to contracts a re-building team does not want. We also don’t know what is being offered for Wood. Stone could be weighing how to utilize a 19/10 6 foot 10 wing rather than giving him away for bad contracts and a shitty FRP. Re-building takes time and stone should get at least a year after wall’s albatross contract is gone.
    The jury is still out on Jalen. Sengun, KJM, JC, KPJ,Matthews, Tate all look to be pretty good moves. Who knows on Nix and Garuba. Not to mention the Nets picks and this year’s successful tank. This team is in good shape to be competitive as early as 2023. It is unreal to me how impatient fans can be, especially after what Harden forced on us.

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We need a new GM because he got rid of Jarrett Allen and did not select Mobley (and hired Silas)….period. Fatal flaws to our program. Lineup should have been:
    Wall
    LaVert
    Tate
    Mobley
    Allen
    KPJ (6th man of year candidate)
    EG
    KMJ
    This team is a contender.

NewAge, El_Conquistador and CXbby like this.
  3. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I'm talking about specifically the EG deal here. So don't pretend I'm shutting down your debate about Stone just because I'm pointing out mistruths. If you want to talk about other things they've done right or wrong, fine, but I'm talking about EG specifically.

You've said Houston has been telling other teams they had deals on the table. That does not mean Houston leaked this to the media, the other teams did. Its very apparent that Houston was in deep discussion with Cleveland and New Orleans at the time of this report.

Further, Tim McMahon said he will have been lied to if Houston accepts less than a first. This has been misconstrued by many as Houston leaking they have an offer for a first - which is not what he said.

heypartner likes this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Oh…forgot two other bench guys: Christopher and Sengun.

5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The future of the Rockets is not bright with this family in charge. I have loyally followed the Rockets since 1982 and am finding it quite challenging to continue watching this disaster of a team (from owner to gm to head coach to players) as hope has turned into despair with this franchise.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hahaha. The slowest footed 6-10 wing of allllllll time.

Hahahahahahahahaha. Good luck getting back on defense. :D

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

No, this team is stuck on the mediocrity treadmill, not tanking like they should be.

Really loose with the word “contender” these days. Contenders of ass and balls.

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Had we gotten Lavert and Allen back in the Harden deal, we don't get KPJ. We don't lose enough for the #2 either.

theDude likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tate
    Sengun trade (and by extension, trades to get those picks to use)
    Josh
    Martin
    Mathews
    And possibly Nix

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Oh look, Downtown Sniper is being a weepy little weenie again. How refreshing!

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Cleveland is playing 3 bigs and don’t seem to be struggling in transition defense. I’m not really in favor of Wood staying on this team and being a Wing, but it’s worth a try in a couple of tanking years if you can’t get a decent return for him.

D-rock likes this.
  12. VoR

VoR Member

I see Saric and Smith, as there is no risk. Cam Payne and Augustin swap in there too. Kaminsky too and maybe they find another team to move Shamet to. Smith can build up his FA stock because Wood is gone too. Nwaba to Charlotte for 2nd rounder or salary dump roster free up. Theis and Wall gone for Westbrook plus pick. Wood brings back a first and a salary dump that we can cut right away.

I can see Wood staying, because he's cheap. But the right deal should send him packing.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think that's fair reg EG's situation. I see a repeat of last year with Oladipo but you are correct that this year it hasn't been quite so clearly directed from our front office like it was last year with the Woj reports reg Oladipo. Still, if it's true the Rockets have been lying to other teams that they had a deal for EG that they didn't, and it wasn't a leak to the media but still a lie to other front offices that got leaked second hand.... yeah... still speaks to my central issue of league relationships.

After two years I see a pattern that is bigger than just this one trade, and I have some concerns. I'm glad you and hopefully most Rockets fans have an open mind moving forward a change might be needed or it might not be needed so being pious about a 2nd year GM probably isn't productive. I don't think we should go out and hire an ex player who is super popular so everyone will just all the sudden love talking to the Rockets because of a popular ex-player at the helm, but I do think a more professional approach of establishing trust, credibility, and bringing value to their counterparts in trade discussions might be a better approach than doing what it seems Stone is doing in misrepresenting your product, and creating skeptical buyers on the other end of the phone.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Urgent Private Message to Rafael Stone]
    You'd better show up to work today ready to DEAL. We expect ASSETS in return for Gordon and Wood. Cinderella turns into a pumpkin at 2pm CST.

GET RESULTS

matchesmalone likes this.
  15. thekad

thekad Member

The excuses for Stone have already started huh

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

When do the trades start? Wake up execs

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this would have looked a lot better if Dipo didn't get hurt and we simply resigned Olynyk

jch1911 likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Playing Evan Mobley at the 3 is much different than playing Christian Wood at the 3.

Besides, we have an entirely different set of personnel to develop. For Jalen Green in particular, about the worst thing you could do is to murder our spacing by playing slow ass, tunnel vision Christian Wood on the perimeter. And on defense, also the worst thing you could do for Jalen Green is to put off-ball sleeping Christian Wood in the game in general.

Needless to say, I will be thrilled If Wood fetches soemthing today. Nice guy, would have been perfect with Harden, but it is time for him to go.

matchesmalone likes this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's absolutely true that EG might not be as sought after as we think he should be. My point though was about the pattern over the past 2 years with our credibility and relationships. I won't be upset if the Rockets end up keeping EG as much as I will to find out more information that Stone overplayed the hand he had. I care less about the EG deal, and more about the culmination of the next 15 deals done over the next 2 or 3 years.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

2 for 10 is not bad at all. especially considering it's at least 2/3 years before we actually have to spend real money.