1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Thread 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Feb 6, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Like I said.

If u were go back into the past and repeat the same scenario with different players, the draft position wouldn't b set in stone.

Probability.

If we got 6th worst record in the league, we still could have gotten top 4 pick because again probability. Knowing the results of last years draft doesn't mean if we repeat last year again with levert and allen it would yield the same result.

Hence the argument that those two players would have assuredly ruin our chances at pick number 2 is bullsht.

unless u are assuming the nba draft lottery is rigged.

Folks are pissed we cheaped out on keeping Allen and levert, who in hindsight offered a better trade yield than dipo ever did. But lets b real we didn't need hindsight to see that.

Folks that justified the dipo trade pointin that it ensure us keeping our draft pick, is ignoring probabilities, statistics. We got lucky, if the we repeat the same season with Dipo again, we could have lost the pick. It's not set in stone, due to probability.

My bad if this seems like a bunch of rambling, im not the expert at explainin this sht.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

The only way to watch this team is by being “Stoned” by the 4th quarter.

#862 Dacamel, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think the point that was being made (by someone else) was that we know the draft order - it isn't rigged, but we know how it panned out.

Therefore, had we not finished 2nd worst, we could have easily lost the pick.

Would LeVert and Allen have added 5 wins? Probably. We put the queue in the rack and played GLeague guys a lot down the stretch.... didn't appear to be trying very hard to win - could that have been done with those guys? Maybe.
    It is all speculative, and, frankly, not that helpful.

What do we have now and what can we do with what we have?" Is a more important question isn't it?

mikenm268 likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Like i said knowing how it panned out is not a good point at all.

Simply b/c it doesn't necessary equate what would have actually happened...... if we had LeVert and Allen.

U can argue that getting Levert and Allen would have lowered our chances of getting top 4, but it doesn't mean it's set in stone that would have happen.....

Folks are arguing that Levert and Allen had more value than Dipo and Stone fked up. This is something definite, we barely got anything from Dipo and look at the yield Levert has.

Then we have folks saying it was justified choosing Dipo cause "knowing how it panned out'. This defense is bs cause If u repeat the same scenario where we kept Dipo, we could have easily missed out on top 4. It was a literal coin flip of 50ish percent.

Just saying using the bs defense of knowing how it panned out is flat out wrong cause u r literally assuming that the NBA draft is rigged, if an outcome occurs once it will happen consistently the same every single time at that win-loss position.

all i know is it's Levert had better yield than Dipo.

#865 DatRocketFan, Feb 10, 2022
  6. foggy94

foggy94 Member

If they win the title, which is what they would be making this move for, Phoenix faces luxury tax payments of over $100m over two years if they add EG then keep Booker/Ayton/Johnson. The Gordon trade alone is responsible for like $90m of that. Eric Gordon isn't worth that. So I'm sure they are telling Houston they have to take Landry Shamet back in the deal, to ease their LT bill. Shamet has signed a 4/$42m extension that starts this summer, last year is a team option. Houston has no desire to take that on for a crappy first round pick.

EDIT - Shamet's deal is actually non-GT'd the 3rd year, so it's only 2 years/20m we'd be on the hook for starting this summer. I can live with that. Team friendly contract would be an asset to have actually.

#866 foggy94, Feb 10, 2022
    Nook, BigMaloe, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  7. NewAge

NewAge Member

Will they max Ayton, though? they are 15-0 with…. Byombo, of all people.

jcmoon likes this.
  8. VoR

VoR Member

Saric plus first rounder could be doable. Tilman loves him some insurance money from injured players.

9. foggy94

foggy94 Member

For my calculations I went with a deal quite a bit below the max.

Now I know that Shamet only has 2 years guaranteed I think Houston should take him. Phoenix could also waive and stretch or trade Cam Payne's $2m guaranteed in 2023/24 and between his salary and Shamet's they've made back most of EG's, so I guess there are ways to make it more palatable

jcmoon likes this.
  10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol you think Morey would listen to him when doing deals? Morey listened to Harden

eliefor3 likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What is the point of us giving up Eric gordon to absorb shamet contract

12. foggy94

foggy94 Member

To get a first round pick

VoR likes this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

I like Saric better. Could be traded next year and also mentor KMJ.

14. JW86

JW86 Member

Us standing pat might have more to do with Pat and Tilman then anything else. Not fair to Gordon, but I think they hate the idea of losing even more than Leslie did.

15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

To match salaries the deal would still have to include Saric.

Would have to be Saric, Shamet and Smith, because Shamet is poison pilled. Which means Houston has to free up two roster spots. Could send back Brooks and then waive DJ. Or they may have trades lined up for Nwaba and Theis which free up an extra spot. Either way, most likely saying goodbye to Brooks.

#875 foggy94, Feb 10, 2022
    NewAge likes this.
  16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Not saying he wasn't fine with it or not. How do you know he was fine with it though? When has a assistant gm ever over ruled a gm especially someone as full of himself as morey? Also even if he had disagreed how would he let public know that?

17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I dunno. I’ve always gotten the sense that strategically they are following Stones lead. That being said on financial decisions (IE Wall buyout negotiations etc) I think they are likely OVER influencing and maybe handicapping Stone a bit even if it’s just their presence over his shoulder every two seconds.

I think the bigger issue is Stones cocky personality in these trade deals where for whatever reason other teams just time and time again always keep on having the stance that it’s not worth our time to hold on pulling the trigger on another deal in order to keep talking with the Rockets. Somebody is doing something that is icing our relationships and making the Rockets not worth the time to work with. Then there’s the issue of credibility when they keep lying to the media that they have a deal they don’t have. Nobody trusts this front office.

That’s a problem for the fans who want to maximize our abilities and assets during a rebuild.

As much as I can’t stand Tillfart I know he is much more likely to have been exposed to professional sales skills and negotiations training before in his career. At some point it’ll hopefully click that this front office needs a new more professional approach that works in the business world every day.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I only said he is not some newcomer who was handed a pile of turd.

He worked here for many years and knew exactly what was going on, what situation he was getting himself into.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a fair question and we will know in time if he is indeed better than Morey or his equal.

He does not seem to be a rebel like Morey so my best guess was he worked well with Morey hence was recommended by Morey to succeed him.

eliefor3 likes this.