1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Names Top 15 Coaches in League History

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DreamR, Feb 8, 2022.

1. DreamR

DreamR Member

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Rick Adelman and Rudy T are the gravest omissions. Doc Rivers is a joke. This list is a joke.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Doc Rivers? Really? With all those chokes he’s had despite having pretty good talent? List is invalid based off that alone

Ty Lue>>>Doc Rivers

They both have 1 championship, but Ty Lue is clearly a better coach, so why should Doc be in over him?

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

doc rivers and steve kerr lol

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Doc Rivers is essentially the McGrady of coaches with better PR

Jontro likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

i mean.. if the experts say so, i believe them

7. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Has any team milked a championship more than the 08 Celtics?

Jontro and Von Rafer like this.
  8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Larry Brown, Don Nelson, Eric Spoelstra and Jerry Sloan?

Great/good coaches, yes. Don't know about all-time best.

Doc Rivers has zero business being in this list.

I think the list might should be only ten long, but they had to come up with some extra fluff to make it entertaining/controversial.

Jontro and DreamR like this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Actually I’d think they should’ve done a top 25 since they did a top 10 in 1997 and 75 players + 25 coaches is a nice 100 list.

10. lnchan

Larry Brown brought the Clippers to the playoffs during the Sterling era, made Iverson play within the system, and crafted a strong Pacers team during the Bulls dynasty. He absolutely belongs to this list. Don Nelson revolutionized the game with Nellie ball, and his time with Warriors was solid. Spoelstra was just as successful as Phil Jackson considering the tools around him and didn't quit when he didn't have 2 superstars. Sloan with the consistency although getting beat routinely by Tomjanovich.

Doc Rivers though... choked more than McGrady.

Tuckankhamun and plutoblue11 like this.
  11. lnchan

The question who on the Celtics has milked it the most? Pierce? Rivers? Ainge? Garnett? The only one that proved himself afterwards is Ray Allen.

12. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Pierce and Rivers. I do respect Pierce's longevity, but his Celtics teams were mediocre to bad until KG and Allen joined. He's also the most replaceable of the Big 3 and still loves to insert himself into conversations and make his (bad) opinions known.

We're all aware of Rivers' choking. Those Clippers teams never making a WCF is sad and amusing.

I always thought KG had an annoying personality, but he is an undeniable talent who kinda broke the mold.

13. lnchan

Rivers failed with McGrady in Orlando also but the latter gets all the flack. And McGrady was carried to the NBA Finals in the same manner as Doc was with Allen, Garnett, and Pierce

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's kind of hard to take this seriously when they included the coach with the most choke jobs in NBA playoff history. I'd put plenty of other coaches on this list before Doc Rivers.

15. lnchan

I would put plenty of active assistant coaches today ahead of Choke Rivers.

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know people will look at me funny, when I say this, but I never thought the Clippers were good enough to reach the WCF, alone or the NBA Finals. I felt like they didn't have that third punch (another wing player) or a guy they could rely on to get buckets, once CP3 and Griffin were out. I thought DJ was a pretty good center, but they should've used that money to go get a versatile wing player.

RedIsen likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

clutchdabear, Nook, boomboom and 2 others like this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I always really liked Billy Cunningham, but until I looked it up, I didn't realize he's only had one gig: 76ers for 8 seasons. So retired with a career record of 454-196. :eek:

Remember him as a very calm guy who made great substitutions. I used to love his whistles to relay offensive sets to his team, (or that's what it seemed like to me).

boomboom likes this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

"The voters were asked to select the 15 Greatest Coaches in NBA History without ranking them. The panelists were not allowed to vote for themselves. Click here for the voting panel, which was composed of all 30 current NBA head coaches and 13 former NBA head coaches."

lnchan likes this.
  20. lnchan

Doesn't mean Doc couldn't lobby the rest of the group like he tried to lobby Pop out of the Spurs job back in the early 2000s