1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. a time to chill

If McCown is the hire it will confirm everyone's negative opinions about the Texans. Texans are really treating the head coach position like a figurehead. They are going to sell it by putting competent coaches with NFL experience around McCown, but this makes no sense. Just hire the more qualified guy as the head coach and let McCown work his way up for 2-3 years. I wonder how other coaches like Lovie Smith and Pep Hamilton feel about someone that's unqualified becoming their boss and having to train him on the job. Also, the Texans are going to look even more racist when they have another losing season next year and don't fire McCown like they did Culley.

Fiah and Fulgore like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nope it's the right mindset I want in a coach and especially a black coach in the NFL. I want a coach and man that has the balls to put it all on the line and give all heart, mind, soul and strength into winning and doing it the right way coaching wise. Tired of this get punched and don't punch back mentality. We need a strong minded coach not one that's willing to continually take it in the a$$ and play a docile submissive role in a leadership position.

red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Cal does not care about the PR hit. Cal and Easterby only answers to one person and that is God. They have prayed for the last week and God has confirmed that McCown is the person to lead the Texans into salvation.

Fulgore and a time to chill like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I liked Gannon

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So when/if Flores is hired. How are some of you that have been nonstop hating on the Texans going to feel?

7. a time to chill

It's becoming more apparent that Easterby is swindling Cal McNair and making himself and his friends rich by giving them positions in the Texans organization. When will Cal realize this?

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

For real…Mina Kimes and the ESPN crew are going to bash the Texans regardless of what they do so they might as well go with the guy they want not the one the media wants or the fans want. Besides the head coaching position is about leadership, setting the culture, game planning, etc…if those are traits they have identified in McCown go for it.

After a couple of days of fake outrage everyone will move on to the next story.

9. a time to chill

You know damn well it's not going to be Flores. just stop it.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'll be surprised if it isn't McCown now. I'm a glass half full guy, so I'll try to look at the positives...

- Likely means we retain Lovie, Pep, Prince and Ross. I thought all of them did a great job and will benefit from a 2nd-3rd year in their roles.
    - Stability in the offensive and defensive systems. Mills should benefit if Pep becomes OC and mentors him further. Want to see what Lovie can do with some more talent.
    - McCown supposedly has great leadership skills (he's going to need them)
    - McCown has worked in a ton of different systems with different coaching styles/philosophies
    - McCown is respected my current and former players/coaches
    - McCown is from Texas and played for SHSU... gotta say might not mean much too many, but I like it

As I've said before I'm a fan of progressive responsibilities because I believe it not only builds experience and character, but also perspective. Josh hasn't had that benefit and it will likely make his transition tougher. Doesn't mean he won't be successful, it's just trying to manage all of the fires that will come with the HC job will be challenging without the benefit or either experience or perspective.

With that said, I'll definitely pull for him (or Flores) when its announced. I'd have preferred a KOC or Gannon, but the stability of maintaining the current system (assuming its maintained) has some benefits that as fans we don't normally see or experience.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sounds like they're trying to get Cal to sign off on McCown, but he's hesitant. I'm sure he's a little worried about the lawsuit and being pulled in.

But it also sounds like things are fluid and there seriously may not be an actual decision made yet.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And if it is?

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Safer how?

Rudyc281, Fulgore and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know man. If it’s McCown, they’re dumb. Even if he turns out to be a great head coach

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Once we start getting better players they can hate all they want to.

16. a time to chill

Flores won't be the hire, so there's no point in entertaining the possibility. He directly accused the Texans of racism in his lawsuit. Do you think Cal McNair and Easterby are going to hire someone that's going to challenge the power structure in their organization? No ****ing way. It was their plan to hire McCown since last year when Caserio got the job.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Flores had a lot of volatility at Miami. The cherry on top was the lawsuit.

whag00 likes this.
  18. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

The Texans are the dumbest organization in sports. Part of me wants them to hire McCown purely for the calamity that would ensue.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No he did not.
    Did you read what he wrote?
    Don’t make accusations based on your feelings.

I hope it is Flores just to watch you twist in knots about what to do

STR8Thugg likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I see it the other way while continuity would be nice…

I feel like the would want to surround McCown with more experienced coordinators.

Lovie fits the bill but not pep while he has been around the league he hasn’t been a HC before.

I feel like they will hire somebody else for OC and QB coach