1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ollie to Rox?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jun 20, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

One can always hope.

2. New Jack

New Jack Member

I don't know about him as the starting point guard, but if they're trading Pike for him and he's getting paid the same money Pike is, what do we lose?

It's not like Pike was an integral part of the team last season or will be next season.

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think Van Gundy values defense as much, if not more, than he does perimeter shooting. And as bad as Ollie may shoot from 3-point land, I can't possibly imagine it's worse then Pike's defense.

4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

Actually, little birdies are telling me that LA and Houston are talking about dealing Fisher to Houston for Jim Jackson. It could be Piatkowski instead but thats the reason why Fisher pushed back his opt out date.

Van Gundy has loved Fisher's game and he could start if Houston deals Mobley. And he's at least better than Ollie. Houston would have to re-sign him but there probably is already a handshake agreement.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Instead of 2 more years of Pike's contract, we'd have 4 years of Ollie's contract.

You can get a backup PG for a much smaller commitment.

6. 2Cleva

2Cleva Member

BTW - I've been lurking her for a while (as you can see from my join date). I'm a Laker fan but Houston obviously is on my radar from this Fish/JJ rumor to LA likely having Rudy T the next coach.

Getting T-Mac would be a great deal for you guys.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Well, I believe Pike is signed through 2005/06, and Kevin Ollie is signed through 2007/08.

No thanks. Let Charlotte take Pike, if they want. DON'T trade him for a scrub with 4 more years left on his contract!

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

JJ is Gone too? talk about a major overhaul!!:D

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And where are these birdies you hear from?

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clearly we would need another PG but why give up JJ for one? He is instrumental in terms of playing the 2/3 positions either starting or from the bench. I would rather keep JJ and look for a PG in FA than trade JJ for Fisher.

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

True, eventhough JJ is 32, he still has more value then fisher!! the guy was right @ the core of houstons defense last season! i doubt Houston would Part with JJ just or the Fish Alone!

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Kevin Ollie sounds like a VG backup PG...306 minutes in 38 playoff games with a playoff 3:1 assist/TO ratio. Not to mention the Ollie's a reasonably tall defender at PG.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This move would be just bad enough for me to believe that CD would probably make it.

Mark my words...

I expect this to happen more than I think the T-Mac deal is going to go down.

Kevin Ollie is going to turn 34 years old early next season. 34 years old. Think about that for a minute.

How many years are left on his contract that pays him HOW much money?

Picking this guy up would be so stupid that I am absolutely certain CD is going to do it.

He has NO shooting ability at all, has only played 43 minutes in a game once in his entire NBA career, fell out of favor on a bad basketball team, and his best years are probably already behind him.

Yep. I'd say this is absolutely right up CD's alley.

TRADE ACCEPTED!

%^#@ing SPLASH!

(I just KNOW this one will go down...)

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Whether or not this deal occurs, it won't make or break much of anything. It just shuffles a #8 or 9 rotation slot.

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

It's not a weak draft. This year's draft may lack the superstars near the top, but the talent in this years draft seems to run deep.

16. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

right now at nbadraft.net

#10 pick is Luke Jackson

NBA Comparison: Brent Barry

Strengths: Luke is a very good all around player. He is an excellent shooter all the way out to NBA range and has a good mid-range game as well. He also passes the ball very efficiently. He is a difficult match-up because of his height (6'7) and his guard skills. Needs very little space to get his jumper off and has a pretty quick release. Generally plays under control even in the transition game. He has a small forwards body but could play some 2 at the next level. Has a deceptive first step and does a great job of getting into the lane and challenging the defense. He is a very unselfish player with a solid all-around game. He's ot afraid to mix it up and hit the boards.

Weaknesses: Not the greatest defender on earth and will definitely struggle to guard perimeter players at the next level. His lateral foot speed is not a strength. Not the most athletic SF either but he is adequate in that area. Lacks great size at the SF position, and is not a tremendous rebounder, but decent. He also wont blow you away with his athleticism, but has decent quickness and leaping ability.

Notes: The only player in Oregon history to record 2 career triple doubles, and joins only Jason Kidd and Loren Woods as the only three to ever have multiple career triple doubles in Pac 10 history. Was also a baseball pitcher and out-fielder in high school and actually struck out 16 batters in one game.

Draft Outlook: He is the type of shooter that lots of teams would love to have suit up for them. If he can show improved defense and have some good workouts he could sneak into the 15-20 range. Most likely a late first rounder to early second round pick.

-Matt Stock

at brent barry type of player and smart too

if we do get the #10 pick with ollie for pike

17. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

DAMN YOU CD!

:rolleyes: :mad:

18. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Jackson will go before #10.

19. MManal

MManal Member

I think the Rockets will pursue Fisher but not via trade. Fisher has an opt out clause in his contract which he may exercise. If he does become a FA, imo the Rockets would do well to pursue him on the FA market and create a PG tandem of Fisher and possibly Ollie. However, I see no way the Rockets would deal JJ to get Fisher.

If Fisher does not become a FA, I would much rather pursue Brent Barry with the MLE and have him split time with Ollie at the 1 while logging some minutes backing up the wing positions as well.

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

....even if we get the 10 pick out of this rumoured deal?