1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s a fair take I think.
    To be fair, most coaches including black head coaches are recycled to coordinators too.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think Flores would have been the minority option, him or Mayo.
    I wish he would interview Leftwich

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

well I said that didn’t I? Although I do think Jack and Nick were close with brian

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

also let me clarify that I’m sure there are owners and or GMs who are racist and would let racism impact their hiring. I didn’t meant to say it’s not a factor

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

Except there are no other examples because no one else is getting hired. We know the Steelers are good with black coaches because their owner is the one that launched the Rooney Rule. But outside of that, Culley and Flores were the only two black coaches so those are the two examples he had.

Agreed - but Mayo would never have been hired, as we're seeing this go-around. Culley was only hired because he was easy to fire. Everyone - including the Texans - knew he wasn't HC or even OC material.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Possibly due to one coach being old and another that's young with potentially more promise. I do think McCown would be a terrible decision just like Culley was though.

The Rooney rule has got to go. I would be pissed off if I was contently being invited to interviews where the ownership had no interest in hiring me besides to fill a league quota.

Nook, STR8Thugg and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think that’s even a question. Racism is a real thing.
    I don’t think it’s as prevalent as it’s made out to be in the media and the vocal crowd.

FEDEXROCKETS13 likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

They are hot names - but so was Bienemy. And Flores. It seems like they are just hot names to interview, really. Possibly just to fulfill the Rooney rule. It would be interesting to see the internal discussions of who would have been hired if a bunch of these teams' first choices didn't get hired. That would give us a better sense of whether these people are actually being considered and just falling short, or if they are window dressing.

Nook, cmoak1982 and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

Oh good, I was afraid that this wasn’t going to turn into more of a fiasco.

RunninRaven and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There was no doubt Flores was getting hired this off-season. He didn’t get the job he wanted. Probably not getting hired now.
    Frazier has been a head coach, led a dominant Bills defense so I think he would get hired. Same with Morris-also because he’s young.

Of course there are some diversity interviews. It’s mandated that it has to be done. I also don’t have a problem with teams knowing early on who they want and going and getting them.
    Wouldn’t have any problem at all with a team hiring a black candidate and not even interviewing another candidate.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And I can’t tell you why Bienemy hasn’t been hired. But it is telling that he’s had that many and not been hired.

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

My point is I DGAF what color David Culley is and it’s irrelevant bc he was the least intelligent coach I’ve ever seen at the NFL level, and it’s not even close. So it’s a **** example of racial biases in the league even though they do exist.

although I do agree with another post saying it’s more to do with people hiring buddies and people getting hired from circles, not necessarily overt racism.

John Elway showing up to an interview drunk? It’s bc he’s a ****ing alcoholic not bc he’s racist!! (Although who knows he may be, but that’s not why he was ****ing hungover). That kind of logic just drives me insane.

UTSA2step and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

word on the street is that he is an arrogant piece of **** in interviews and has insulted people among other things.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I mean....it will be the most Texans-thing ever to hire a family-oriented man of faith with zero coaching experience instead of a qualified coaching candidate with some NFL success on his name.

But is it racist?

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Josh McDaniels is a freaking Douchebag. So what’s the difference?

Nook, CRJ713 and Fulgore like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No just dumb.
    As usual.

RockFanFirst and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I think so too. I hadn’t seen he interviewed with the Saints already. Good for him. I hope this brings about some change

Fulgore likes this.
  18. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

I hope Brian Flores expose all these owners. There is now way a volunteer high school coach should get a job over the likes of Flores, Demeco Ryans, Leftwhich, Bienmny, Mayo, Leslie Frazier etc……

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Flores' case is incredibly frivolous and poorly written. I can't believe he threw away his career for this flimsy of a case.

The Rooney Rule actually undermines blacks' ability to get a head coaching job... in that it wastes black candidates' time and creates the perception that their interviews are just to check the Rooney Rule box (as Flores is alleging). Similarly, affirmative action undermines employees' confidence in people who they think are "diversity hires". It's insulting actually to the well-qualified minorities who get smeared by others who think they don't deserve the position. Better to remove all mandates and rules and let the market sort it out... if there's an advantage to be gained, NFL teams will find it. Forcing the Rooney Rule on owners is a waste of time for all involved. NFL owners clearly are not racist or else they wouldn't staff their teams with 70% black players.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bill Petersen faints

Nook likes this.