1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want to replace SIlas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanming, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Come on guys, he's just fine for a rebuilding team. It's obvious what they're doing, why do you guys go in cycles about it.

They want to play the kids, but also want to dump/showcase whiny Gordon and Wood. Marginalizing these guys makes them pout and whine more, just need to try to get them out of there. Other than that, they have given the young guys a good run. Aside from basketball, Sengun is learning a new language and learning to live in another country for the first time in his life. He JUST turned 19, think of another 18/19 year old you know, he's that age. He has not improved much from the beginning of the season till now. Don't worry, he will get his minutes this season, it's not going to affect the trajectory of his career. It's not a catastrophe. Sengun will shine.

Next season Silas has the talent and a core of players that know the NBA and his system. Let's wait till he makes and coaches a playoff series, but I bet we win half our games next season with him.

Ramo$e and napalm06 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would really like to add Brett Brown to Rockets coaching staff.

He has strong ties to Australia, but more importantly he placed great emphasis and had great eye for defensive talent.

With the Sixers, Brown acquired and/or developed unique and/or high IQ defenders like:

Thaddeus Young
    Michael Carter-Williams
    Jerami Grant
    Nerlens Noel
    Robert Covington
    Richaun Holmes
    Joel Embiid
    Ben Simmons
    Jimmy Butler
    Matisse Thybulle

Even lesser known players like:

Wilson Chandler
    Dewayne Dedmon
    JaKarr Sampson
    Zhaire Smith
    Justin Anderson
    Jonathon Simmons
    Noah Bolden
    James Nunnally

Rockets desperately need more talented people to identify, develop and implement DEFENSE.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

What is Rick Adelman up to?

Ramo$e, bmelo, burlesk and 1 other person like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood

Easy likes this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

Last year, we had the WOW - Wood - 6'10", Olnyk - 6'11", Wilson (DJ) - 6'10". All three guys are not known for rim protection, but we seem smaller this year.

Theis is listed as 6'8" and Al-P 6'10" (could still be growing). On paper not too big of drop off, but with the no two-big lineup and Wood is now playing perimeter D a good chunk.

Rim protection is underwhelming.

#225 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    aaquaa, D-rock, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

I kept an open mind on Silas. 1.5 year later, more so last month specifically, I'm getting sour on him. The losing and bad defense is getting to me.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seems like a stark contradiction there.

You seem to be okay to have him for your rebuilding team but you go on about him coaching a playoff team.

Just fire him and replace him when you got a playoff team!

D-rock likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

tillmen could hire a high school grad for minimum wage. won't make a difference in win-lose total. he could buy the another yacht with the savings earned

aaquaa, bmelo, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

half their games?get real

Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

…..or he could hire a competent coaching staff and players could develop and improve and the team can be competitive on a nightly basis (instead of just the few rare times they feel like playing aggressive and defensive basketball). You don’t have to win, but getting kicked at HOME by equally bad teams is not acceptable!!! Honestly, your losing attitude is quite disgusting. There are a few people on this board that actually have winning mentalities.

Jontro, aaquaa and tehG l i d e like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Setting aside wins you have to be pleased with the player development so far this season. And I think that Silas is achieving that goal.

It's not fair to say, hey, your number one goal is to grow the players and then turn around and say, hey, why are you losing?

12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Tbh, at this point I'd trust a random youth basketball coach over Silas. At least he'd teach them how to set a pick, box out and run basic pick and roll/pop basketball. So far he's failing at having pro basketball players in the greatest league on earth perform the absolute basic fundamentals that most people learn before puberty. That's unforgivable.

aaquaa, D-rock and tehG l i d e like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mahmoud Abdelfattah >>>>>> Nice guy Steve

Coaching staff ain’t that impressive either. DeSagana Diop? Jeff Hornacek? Rick Higgins?
    (+ Will Weaver, John Lucas)

[​IMG]

Hope they fire his ass after the season and get a real coach in here.

aaquaa, D-rock and tehG l i d e like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was joking. I knew Wood was 6'10. Sengun is listed as 6'9, I think.

It seems forever since we last had a 7-footer. (I think Hartenstein is 7'.) The fact that we essentially exchange Olynyk for Theis made us smaller again. Maybe Sengun will grow another inch or two.

TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I'm thinking Silas will be coach until at least the end of next season, likely serving his entire contract. Not my preference but does anyone think top coaches will come here until the squad is ready to at least compete for the playoffs?

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Our standards have dropped so precipitously.

In last night's game thread posters were pleased with results and actually saying Rockets had a good game.

And it was not a close loss - it was another DOUBLE DIGIT ass whupping.

Rockets won exactly ONE quarter but CF was talking like the game was a positive.

WORST defense in NBA notwithstanding.

INCREDIBLE!

aaquaa likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

NBA head coach is still a precious commodity and pinnacle of basketball coach career and there are not a lot of opportunities each season.

Rockets may not have pick of top coaches but FO needs to improve their evaluations and think out of the box.

Analytics team should be helpful here as well, treat it like a player evaluation and identify the metrics important to position.

groovemachine likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

What player's development do you attribute to Silas?

KPJ, Snipa, KJ, Mathews, Jaygup, Nix, Garuba, Queen were all developed by Abdelfattah with Vipers.

Lucas works with KPJ and Green on shooting form, mental focus, consistency, accountability, etc.

Dream worked with Sengun.

Silas is responsible for system implementation (offense & defense), for minutes allocation, in game adjustments, calling plays, lineups and actual player roles.

EVERYTHING Silas has been directly responsible for has been utter SHYTE.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

We could of easily acquired a quality 7 footer at top of last draft.

Just saying. ;)

groovemachine likes this.
  20. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Maybe Ted Lasso is available.

D-rock likes this.