1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What makes you think Flores can turn it around? He was literally fired because he couldn’t work with others.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

What exactly has Kevin O'Connell achieved? Isn't the success in LA based on Sean McVay being a genius and running the offense? KOC was OC for one year prior - 2019 in Washington - and they had the worst offense in the NFL, leading to the team being 3-13 and everyone being fired. How is he different than a Bienemy type who's only success is tied to the genius HC who calls plays?

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think there’s much difference between him and Bienemy. Except for the allegations and the fact that Bienemy hasnt been hired after double digit interviews.
    McVay tree has been successful

Xopher likes this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

People fawn over the McVay tree.

It's funny, you have some people complaining that McCown hasn't paid his dues, but they're pumping up these 34 and 35 year olds that have been a coordinator for one year.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well for the Houston Texans specific situation it would be more of a new generation type of thing. Let me explain... after firing BOB (a guy that was given all power to do anything he wanted) David Culley was hired (who happened to be a black coach that was an assistant for years and highly respected.)

David Culley was fired after one year with the notion that he had no real power as the head coach and Nick was really running the show. That's really bad to do in this time and season of society as ever because now the Texans look even more like a organization that just hired a black coach to be the face of humiliation and take on a lot of things he really had no or could even possibly imagine taking control of.

Now if you hire Brian Flores (high profiled coach that happens to be black) and give him real control to coach this team and make the bigger decisions with Nick Caserio then the organization is respected more and looked upon as an organization that's doing something different or adapting to the up to date cultural and societal business trends that great and winning organizations conform to.

At that point the buy in on the Texans becomes real. A lot of people will follow the combination of Brian Flores and Nick Caserio... players, coaches, fans and everyone else. Now your rebranded, have a real identity and no longer the laughing stock of the NFL from a image standpoint.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Gannon is very experienced FWIW.

He's been in the NFL in some fashion as a scout or coach for 14 years and was at Louisville as an assistant prior to that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

What do you expect when your last hire was David Culley and the supposed leading candidate is a currently an assistant high school coach…

8. Two Sandwiches

I get that.

I'm just saying it's interesting where people draw that line. 20 years in the NFL as a backup QB (and even a wr) vs an 8-14 year assistant coach with minimal other experience.

No judgement at all. Just interesting.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Brady announced his retirement so Texans new HC announcement coming today lol

Rudyc281, desihooper, Fiah and 3 others like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We’re not going to agree ever on having anyone hired because of the color of their skin.
    Flores is not a new age coach, period. Just because he’s black doesn’t give him an edge in what you think will “fix” this franchise.

Being black isn’t going to fix ineptitude. Just because you think the franchise leadership is somehow behind the times culturally or racist doesn’t make it true. Yes, they’re not good at football decisions but in no way have they shown to be what you’re claiming.

Merit is all the hiring should be based off of. Nothing more.

11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Fawning over a tree that has 3 out of the 4 teams in the playoffs currently and has proven successful in the past 3 years seems like a pretty smart move to me. Do you have any better suggestions?

STR8Thugg and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Deep Steel Truth

What other forum, if you don’t mind? Would love to have another Texans forum to peruse from time to time.

red5rocket and Two Sandwiches like this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

edit

#653 treyk3, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  14. Two Sandwiches

I'm not knocking it, don't get me wrong. Just stating the facts.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Flores as a head coach could at the least bring us back to mediocrity. He's already made chicken salad outta chicken bs in Miami. As long as he can make players go along more than get along I wouldn't put too much into relationships. Everyone doesn't have to love each other. Adversity is a part of it but there must be respect and a on one accord mentality.

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

It sounds like Caserio wants to pick the assistant coaches, so if that's true, the new coach isn't going to have much control over their staff. And if that's the case, I'm not sure why anyone with options would want to come to the Texans. If you fail, you want fail on your own merits rather than because you weren't able to coach or lead your way.

Cannonball and Hank McDowell like this.
  18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You still don't see the bigger picture. I'm talking about image and brand. In reality I don't give a F if the team was all white or all mexican or all black the bigger picture is doing what it takes to gain a competitive advantage in all you do to win.

Now what i posed to you was the Texans current image in the media and around the league. With the Texans being in this situation I just said what they could do idealistically to overcome it so we can see them win at the end.

Thats my biggest thing with this organization... how bad do they really want to win? They are trying to force a square inside a triangle doing it their own way. Can't have their cake and eat it too.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That sucks. It's going to take some time to win but you gotta bring a head coach in here that's a true alpha leader... that coach obviously wants to bring his own assistants. To hear this is disappointing.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Disappointing=Texans. Are you surprised?