1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Isn’t Silas On The Hot Seat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Nov 14, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

thanks .

where I’m going is along that line of “coaches being surprised he was as raw as he is”

I understand the FO has power , but I hope there isn’t a disconnect there . Usually when FO are influencing a coaching decisions I think it’s because there are numbers or stats behind it . Like hey , use this player here this way look at this data that backs up my argument.

green was gonna get PT . But , IMO he didn’t have to start . While FO making PT decisions isn’t necessarily bad ... for example if Silas said “green’s not ready” and FO said “idc he’s our guy he’s starting” ... then overall starting him might be detrimental in the long run . Also the coach is the one with 20 years NBA experience. Finally , Cutting him off at the knees hurts his ability to command respect in the lockeroom .

we are definitely giving him as much adversity as possible . Let’s hope he responds .

maybe this “wait to evaluate” (regarding coaching and FO) is the name of the game and the way things are ... but **** , I could go out there trying to lose . I could do stone’s job of securing that next top draft pick .

you have to be looking at something to see if our guys are doing a good job .

aaquaa, D-rock, amaru and 1 other person like this.
  2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

You just don't get it, you don't get consistent improvements straight away with such a young roster. It just doesn't happen. It takes time..........................which no one here seems to be willing to wait

Maybe you need to go watch a practice session to see what really goes on. Every team is mostly the same in practice, doing the same drills. This team just needs experience, which takes years to gain and develop

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

As I've been saying since he bought the team -- I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it.

4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Dude they are on a pace to have the worst record in nba history!!!!!! Most turnovers in nba history. What don’t you people get….SILAS SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look, I don't CARE about wins and losses, I CARE about seeing them getting better, and they just aren't....they are making the same mistakes....and Silas is not addressing those mistakes....

He is a weak weak coach, he should be BENCHING them, pulling them aside, explaining things then putting them back in.....

His attention to detail is crap - mister happy to be here, needs to get out of here.

DD

6. JayAllJay

JayAllJay Member

Silas is terrible. Not a fan of the signing from day 1. and to think...JVG and TY LUE were the competition. WTF?!

#146 JayAllJay, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    aaquaa, ThatboyPhuong, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  7. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol they are not on track for anything at this stage. comeback in March if they don't have 10 wins, then we will talk

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Now that the L-streak ended, semi-serious question, is Silas off the hot seat?

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Winning is not an option. Put him on the hot seat now.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas needs to be on the hit seat.

I understand if he has no control of player acquisitions (do not really believe this because Silas coveted Wall, Boogie AND Dipo) or which players get playtime priority (e.g. Green over Sengun, JC , Garuba).

But Silas was extremely stubborn and invested in 2 big lineup (starting Theis with Wood specifically) to abject detriment of our young players' development as well as team success.

And it wasn't until rumors of his job being in jeopardy before he considered and then relented on this point.

Now he's using the limited playing time data of Wood-Sengun lineups to justify not playing Sengun more, or playing the 2 in sets that the team is most successful running.

Either Silas has no control of playing time due to FO dictates or he does have control and he is simply a coach who is in above his head and just really struggles with X's and O's as well as adjustments, counters and player rotations.

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

While listening to a podcast the other day, I heard something that made me question how much of an impact on winning a coach has compared to the roster. Right now, the leading candidate for coach of the year is someone whom we all know very well; someone who not a single soul here would probably think of as a good coach: Mr. John-Blair Bickerstaff. And when I heard that the first thing that came into my head was "if freaking JBB gets a coach of the year then, in my eyes, it kind of tarnishes the award for everyone else."

If you think about all the "good" coaches right now like Carlisle or Casey or Vogel who had great success before but can't get anything out of their teams now as well as the opposite in "bad" coaches like Billy Donovan or Monty Williams who was heavily criticized for his stint in New Orleans, it makes you wonder, how much does a coach really affect winning? How many wins can a great coach add to a crappy roster? How many does a bad coach remove from a great roster? So far, even for the most legendary coaches, it seems that they do well when their teams are good and perform poorly when their rosters are bad. So how much of it is really up to the coach?

Hank McDowell likes this.
  13. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

He'll be gone as soon as the season is over. Even with a bunch of teenagers around, i never felt an NBA caliber coach is leading our squad.

daywalker02, aaquaa and Imanimal like this.
  14. Alleyoopsy

Alleyoopsy Member

Coaching matters the most in playoff settings. I don't think anyone is going to argue Popovich isn't a great coach, but even he can't make the current Spurs a playoff team

lakersuck2 and aaquaa like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

But Pop's teams beat who they are supposed to beat.

And even when they are blowing out the worst team in the NBA by double digits he keeps coaching and keeps his team focused on details.

DeBeards, Dobbizzle and aaquaa like this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Excuses, excuses, excuses….gotta love the Houston fanbase! A guy has been doing a sh&@“$ job for two years right in front of your faces and you still come up with every excuse in the world why we’re sitting on a true gem of a coach. Gotta love the miserable Houston fans!!! You don’t ask for more fron ownership so you get what you deservedly get.

Dobbizzle and aaquaa like this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The only metric anyone cares is how fast are the kids improving.

Green went from unplayable to start the season and unaware of how to play team basketball to being an occasional plus in just 30 something games. The defensive performance he had today was unimaginable 30 games ago. He's going to the line 5+ times very often which means while still frustrating, he is slowly learning what to do to make that contact beneficial for him. Ultra coachable.

KPJ has barely improved as a PG, his asst/to was almost identical last season. However he has been more steady with the ball the last 20 games or so and defensively he has made a significant leap. I can see value in developing his PG skills and having him develop chemistry with Green. I think he needs to be a little more aggressive as a scorer, but all in good time.

Sengun continues to commit stupid fouls and overthink offense sometimes. However, there's strong indication that he's going to be an All Star as soon as he's respectable from 3pt range and improves his fitness. His development has been slow but a lot of what he needs to work on is typically done in the offseason (shooting, strength). In the meantime he's been good and they have benched Theis in his favor. More minutes coming his way.

Christopher has improved for sure, starting to understand the game a bit more. Should become a regular part of the rotation now.

Nix has improved under our guidance and coaching.

Garuba has not shown anything except in G League and broke his wrist. Youngest starter ever at Real Madrid earned purely with defense, 8th youngest player in the league. I think we can be patient.

THIS IS A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT FOR 30 GAMES OVERALL.

This is the only way the front office looks at the team. You're frustrated because you are more invested in wins than they are. Just chill, everything is going well. Look at the first half of the season as this team's boot camp, it is historically unique to have 4 19 year olds and several other youngsters on one roster. It's not just that we have 4 young rookies, it's that they are all really young compared to their draft class too. Our vets hate being here lol. We're getting another great pick (I predict we try to acquire an additional top 10 pick) this summer and have max cap space the following summer.

It was hilarious at times watching these kids play to start the season. Caught myself cracking up out loud. Be realistic about the plan, in any prediction of the season the beginning should have been a disaster and it was. If plus/minus ten wins can affect a career trajectory, maybe we don't need someone who so easily turns into a loser.

No point paying anyone else to coach right now. As long as each core player is working on their game and improving, we're good. They are going to win more games in the second half guaranteed, thats the plus side of being so young they improve fast but you have tp step outside the box to see it.

anchel likes this.
  18. riko

riko Member

Tillman knows hiring a real coach costs money. Silas is cheap and incompetent

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I usually really enjoy your posts.

But you must have been high when you wrote this one.

Silas is in over his head.

aaquaa and daywalker02 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They deem him already having a hot ass.....pause.

Jontro likes this.