1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The entire modern American libertarian movement. Or maybe libertarians have been co-opted by right wing grifters. Look at right wing media and how much of that media self label themselves as "libertarians". You've obviously never had deep interactions with right wing people. Because 100% of them will self-label themselves as libertarian and none of them will blink at book bannings and in fact will support GOP legislatures making "CRT" a primary talking point which I'm sure they know eventually leads to these book bannings. But they will support the rhetoric that leads to those bannings and yet turn around and cry about the errosion of free speech because some private citizens on Twitter wanted a comedian of Netflix.

Libertarianism with a small "l" is a very small movement in this country. This country has a long history of right wing fascists self labeling themselves as "libertarian". It's a very common tactic by the right.

#1101 fchowd0311, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope, there you go again saying things that you can't possibly quantify.

The libertarian movement is not a monolith, you sound more and more like a bizzaro right-winger every day.

You need to chill with the rhetoric.

basso likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

With the modern consumption of media, there is far more group hive mind think than you believe exists.

Have you ever met a right wing person? If you ever have do you ever hear them self label themselves as "right wing"? No. They self-label themselves as "libertarian".

Test it. Ask the posters here that you percieve as "right wing" and ask them if they consider themselves "right wing" or "libertarian".

4. fchowd0311

You need to chill with that rhetoric. You believe bizzario right wingers are a monolith?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you know what I believe about group hive mind think?

I actually agree with you about the growth of the hive mind think, but that has zero to do with saying most libertarians have been hijacked.

The majority of the people I work with are right wing and none of them identify as libertarian, you are just making **** up.

Most of the posters here who are definitely right wing do not identify as libertarians.

Like I have said in previous post, you sure don't have a problem othering everybody else, just like the people who you rail against constantly.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Well, this was very O's of you.

Yes, I do believe bizzaro right-wingers are a monolith, did you miss the descriptor bizzaro?

Are you ok ?

Starting to get some strong pgabs vibes from you.

7. fchowd0311

Then this flies in the face of my personal experience in a right wing bubble while in the military and the history of this country. The modern strain of libertarianism in this country comes from their fight for "states rights" to supress people that aren't like them(white Christians) at the state level. That is the backbone of American libertariansim. Hence why they completely drop their principles of libertariansim when they want private companies not being able to exercise their rights on private property on whom they should be able to ban from their private property. Because American libertariansim has always been about maintaining a social and economic hierarchy status quo rather than some principled notion about rights and freedom.

I've met a handful of people in my right wing bubble that will out right say "I'm right wing". The vast majority will say they are libertarian and then concentrate on issues like CRT and "cultural Marxism" and spout the exact same rhetoric that my self labeled right wing peers state.

#1107 fchowd0311, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  8. Dayop

Dayop Member

basso likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. fchowd0311

Don't agree with the decision but I would have a problem with this if they actually removed it from school libraries rather than a curriculum.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

We used to have required reading lists, but you chose which of the books to read. Assume 10 books on the list and you had to read 3 of them over a certain time period. Not sure if it's the same thing.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the focus of the lesson is regarding the unfair treatment that Black Americans have historically had from the justice system and / or the state of race relations in the South between the World Wars To Kill A Mockingbird is a pretty good starting point.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate all censorship of literature. It's crap. Teach the literature. Explain the subject matter, the time it was written and why it was received the way it was back then. If appropriate and relevant, explain how some novels were a step in a certain direction and contrast it with how much further attitudes have progressed.

What is absolutely a horrible idea is erasing anything that shows our views on racism hasn't evolved and progressed. Show things in the context they were in at the time. It paints a picture of society at the time the literature was written. It would serve as a drive toward further change, not a hindrance to it.

London'sBurning and bobrek like this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Stop making sense

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So the issues are the racially charged language and blacks needing White's to save them. The second is interesting, that can be a concern I guess.

It is an issue for some black people. I personally think it's still stupid but it's interesting they made it an issue

I actually think conservatives have a legitimate criticism about liberalism's lack of hope for blacks helping themselves. I do understand that the thought is the discrimination is overwhelming but I still think there is a lack of confidence. I've stated before liberals are racist for this but I don't really believe that

#1116 pgabriel, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except in 1933 in Alabama a Black man on trial would've been defended by a white lawyer and such language that we consider offensives was used regularly.

This isn't about a white savior complex but about a piece of literature introducing young people to some dark issues that were part of our history and seen through the lens of a young person of the time. None of that means that stories of black people helping themselves aren't taught and the stories of WEB Dubois, Dorothy Danbridge and Thurgood Marshall aren't taugh.

Also regarding critiques of "White Saviors" I'm more familiar with Liberals criticizing that. Dune, has gotten recent criticism as a White Savior story

Also for White Conservatives to argue that To Kill a Mockingbird shouldn't be read because it uses language and tells a story that Blacks wouldn't like IS being a white savior.

jiggyfly, FranchiseBlade and pgabriel like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

@basso good news, they found a rabbi

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Dune getting criticism as a white savior story tells me they read a third of the series.

The entire point of the Dune series is to show the massive faults of "savior" hero worshiping.

#1120 fchowd0311, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    rocketsjudoka likes this.