1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Grass is Always GREENer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikenm268, Jan 26, 2022.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

We all want to know why Rockets drafted a guard with 2nd pick but play him exclusively as an off-the-ball player, especially considering he has bad shooting.

DeBeards and vator like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Whenever I feel disappointed with Green, I look at Suggs. If you guys remember, the consensus top 4 prospects for this draft were Cade, Suggs, Mobley, and Green.

Suggs didn't have the highest ceiling but was widely believed to have the highest floor. He was supposed to be the most mature and NBA ready with off the chart leadership quality and super high IQ. Well, he is not raising any floor in Orlando.

mikenm268 likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

May want to hold that thought. Since returning from injury he’s been averaging 15/5/5 on 48% from the field the last 7 games(with his usual terrific defense), small sample but he’s only played 27 games total.

GotGame15 likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sure. I'm not saying that Suggs won't be good. Just that his development is as slow, if not slower, than Green's. And a lot of people thought Suggs would be good at the outset and Green would be ... green.

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

those players are in different situations

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

Green was the best looking rookie among the top picks at the Summer League. Better than Mobley and Cade. Now he looks the worst.
    I don’t know what to make of it… (Others, lower picks, who made a splash at SL also have been pretty bad and have been out of the rotation for their teams: Cam Thomas, Sharife Cooper)

Then you have a guy like Jaygup, who was considered very raw talent pre-draft, and looked like that in SL, now actually looks quite decent. Jaygup’ s development so far is the optimal path for "projects". As a fan, that’s what you want to see, and that’s what we can get behind and have optimistic pre-disposition for. Now, we’re all probably overestimating him, he’s still not very good, but progress is undeniable. That’s a Process I can get behind.

The Jalen sitch is stuck. I don’t know why, and don’t know for how long. But those saying "he was supposed to look bad" are forgetting Summer League, when he looked the best of the group.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Isn't this the same fable that has trolls living under the bridge who slaughter the sheep looking to go to the green grass on the other side. Beware.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think the real point here is that the draft is spilled milk. It would be nice to stop the endless bickering about who we should have drafted, how players are doing that don’t play for us, and talk about what the Rockets should do going forward. I personally didn’t want Green or Mobley (because he refused to work out for us), but now all that matters is the development of the players we have. It’s too early to assess the job Stone is doing, until you see how this re-build is looking in 2023, which is obviously his target year to make significant strides.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

LOL, like ClutchFans putting this in Tillman’s face would make any difference at all. Ironically , it was the public idyllic hyperbole that made Tillman make the decision in the first place. Set our organization back a decade. Talk about hyperbole, we don’t know what Mobley or Green are going to be over the next few years and I personally think the acquisition of KPJ, Sengun, JC, Tate bode well for the re-build. Re-building is a multi-faceted endeavor and making one bad pick (if it was bad) does not necessarily derail the plan.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He can’t dribble either, so he can’t and should not be our primary ball handler, thus, the term shooting guard. He was drafted so high partly because of his shooting in the G-league. It is not management’s fault that he is shooting poorly. He is getting tons of open looks and plenty of opportunities to create, he just sucks at it this year. He will not get much better until he has the time to bulk up. Anybody watching this kid play can see he has the body of a high school player not even remotely ready to dominate in the NBA.

GotGame15 and bmelo like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

well Jalen had the ball more in SL and the offense was all about him. Now he sits in the corner.

Mr Woods and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is bs. He does not sit in the corner. He took 16 shots last game many on drives from the top of the key. He gets multiple opportunities every game to be the creator he is supposed to be. He just can’t do it yet against NBA ready players. He needs to add muscle and some better moves than just straight drives to the hoop.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

If u didn’t want Green or Mobley, then who did u want? No one else was in play for the Rockets.

the point OP was making is that as bad as Jalen Green has been, he’s actually right up there with Cade…implying that they’re on the same level or tier by bringing up their season long stats…I am saying that that is fool’s gold because someone like Cade is significantly better than Jalen Green, and that has been apparent for almost 2 months now

if we had Cade and he was playing like he’s been in Detroit, no one here would be crying or complaining because he has been ballin and already looks like a future star, so it’s fool’s gold to compare Green to him

Cade is a top 3 rookie…really top 2 because I think he’s surpassed Barnes based off his play the past 2 months…Is Green even top 10?

14. Nook

Nook Member

Green currently has physical limitations that keep him from being even an average defender. He isn’t very big and he isn’t strong and he has a short wingspan. He also doesn’t have the best awareness yet. Right now for him to be a productive player, he needs to shoot well.

Porter isn’t a good defender either. He is better than last year but he is still below average.

amaru and steddinotayto like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Porter remark was a dig on someone mentioning that he was playing elite defense this year ;)

As for Green...the consistent comparisons I've thrown out there since he was drafted was that he could end up being a Zach Lavine or, at best, a Bradley Beal. Both players' defense aren't anything to write home about but it's adequate enough. I hope he'll eventually get to that point on both ends of the court.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

Zach didn't end up with the team that drafted him.

So if Green becomes a mid / late bloomer, that's still a bit disappointing, because if he only becomes good right before year 4/5... that next contract. We'd missed out on decent production during his cheap Rookie deal. And being better than expectation for a longer period (during rookie deal) gives the org more confidence that he can be the guy.

A franchise guard is enticing, problem is there's lot of prospects guards, hitting on the right one is probably harder than picking an almost sure skilled big in Mobley.

While Stone did good on Sengun and JC, potentially striking out on a top #2 is concerning since those draftees had a lot more coverage.

Right now, less about spill milk, but slightly concerned they may also not get it right on the next one: Chet/Paolo/Jabari.

#56 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  17. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Jalen did fine in summer league because it was not NBA-level competition and teams didn't care about winning. Jalen is good at everything in basketball except competing and winning games.

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

simply SL level competition vs reg season level competition

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To be fair Minnesota traded Lavine away because Thibs was thirsty for Tomball Jimmy and Lavine was coming off of an injury. The last abbreviated season he had with the Wolves saw improvements to his overall game that, unfortunately, was derailed by injury.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

I was down on Cade before the draft like I was on Green, I didn’t think he was able to get by defenders in the nba. If we had Cade on the Rockets I would be eating crow right now and admitting I was wrong. Instead I am crying that as low as I was on Green I still overrated him…