1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Agent94

Agent94 Member

NSFL and wrong thread.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

are these guys all Republicans or what? I don't understand

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Gun rights
    virus rights
    Party of death
    just another day repugs stand proud

nsfl is right

VooDooPope likes this.
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'd say the odds are about 9 to 1 against.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So Democrats preferred that this guy not have been able to buy a gun without background checks, training, and maybe some form of liability insurance. As a Republican yourself, you support this guy's right to be able to acting like it's the wild wild west?

6. StupidMoniker

I am not a Republican. I think murder should remain illegal. I don't think law abiding citizens should be forbidden from owning or possessing firearms, though I doubt that was a law-abiding citizen (exhibit 1 being shooting someone without any apparent threat of imminent death or great bodily injury).

7. dobro1229

Thats not really what I asked. I asked you why you don’t want preconditions for owning a gun such as a background check, training, insurance, etc.

You say you suspect he’s not a “law abiding citizen” before he pulled out a gun (because of course he’s black and in an argument at whataburger which always means you are a criminal obviously) but you do not support a mechanism to avoid a lot of non law abiding citizens (black people at whataburger) from getting a gun in the first place.

You also sure have a lot of features that make me more than willing to go on a limb that you are a MAGA Republican. Namely lying about being a Republican so that you’ll maybe be taken somewhat seriously. And if you’re a more guns are the answer to every question about guns, you are never going to find a Democrat to vote for and will always be voting Republican anyways because of that one issue.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

conservative content
    vs
    misinformation and extremist content?

You decide.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hmm... perhaps trump's argument is that misinformation and extremist content is the same thing as conservative content?

[​IMG]

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep! Sounds like good reasons to me.

adoo, VooDooPope and IBTL like this.
  11. StupidMoniker

You asked if I supported the man's "right to be able to acting like it's the wild wild west". I responded directly as to what actions should be allowed by that guy. Preconditions for owning a gun have nothing to do with how he was acting, murdering people does.

We already require background checks in nearly every firearm purchase. The only exception is direct person to person sales by those who are not gun dealers. Most guns used in street crime are not lawfully purchased. More and more, I am seeing ghost guns on the street. Probably more than half of those that come across my desk.
    I suspect he is not a law abiding citizen because he murdered someone in broad daylight, casually, in front of witnesses. That is not common behavior for law abiding citizens. It is apparently very important to you what race he is or what restaurant he frequents, but those were not factors I considered.
    The factors you are asking for are already in place. They don't work, because criminals commit crimes. They are no more likely to follow gun laws than they are to follow laws against murder.
    You are free to continue to be wrong.
    If saying I am not a Republican is the one piece of evidence you are relying on to claim I am a Republican, you have some real issues.
    There are more than two parties. You are right that I very rarely if ever consider voting for any of the Democrats I see.

12. dobro1229

No, you are twisting what I was saying... again. I was saying that you support his rightful ability to own a gun under Texas law. Yes I used the phrase "wild wild west" but it was used as what should have been an obvious way to describe Texas gun laws. I was obviously referencing his actions, and what was happening up until the point at which he drew a gun out. Up until that point, there was nothing illegal in Texas that he was doing.

His decision making and ability to have a firearm the way he had it was problematic. Gun safety training, and the need to conceal that you are carrying could be important factors in a situation like this where we can provide mandatory training that helps trigger muscle memory that could maybe override some of these situations. Texas Conceal laws too are problematic because had the other guy known he was carrying, that might alone have de-escalated the situation.

See... you are again just assuming that because he's black at a Houston Whataburger, that his gun was acquired illegally. Yes it's definitely possible, but your assumption of that because he was black is really something.

You know I was referring to everything up until he chose to grab the gun out of his pocket. Of course he's not a law abiding citizen if he's actively shooting or has shot someone.

As to your second point - One of my really good friends is an FFL. Before selling the gun, there is a background check that is verified through the ATF/FBI process. I know that this process is not a proper background check. It's looking mostly for terrorists. It's not doing the type of background check you'd get in order to work at Wendy's even. And you know there are loop holes such as gun shows which are everywhere in Texas. Do you not even support closing the gun show loophole??

If you have to tell everyone that you are not a Republican, that actually is a tell. The moment I say something along the lines of "I believe in following science" or "The 2nd Amendment doesn't say what you think it says" I don't have to say much else.

It would be great if that was true but it isn't. I know you are not naïve enough to know that a 3rd party vote under almost all circumstances is a vote for a Republican. The third party gimmick right now is almost all driven by the Republican party. Those who defect from the Democratic party to be self servicing by cow towing to the right like Tulsi Gabbard never run as a third party candidate because they know they'd be pulling votes away from Republicans.

Voting indirectly for Republicans does not give you some vail of independence that we should take seriously. You want to be taken seriously, engage us on topics that you do agree with as well as those you don't like a JuanValdez does. There are more than a few folks here that aren't just 100% of their time demagoguing Democrats.

dmoneybangbang and IBTL like this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

There's a reason that guy you are arguing with has like 852 likes on over 12,000 posts. Don't waste your time. He's just an annoying, irritating, arguing typical lawyer.

IBTL and VooDooPope like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I certainly have disagreements with @StupidMoniker but I think a lot of criticism of him are unfair and presumptuous. His arguments are very much like a lawyer because that's what he is. Unlike many though he provides detailed reasoning behind why he's arguing a certain way and doesn't just rely on slogans, canned talking points or insults.

He doesn't need me to defend him and there is a lot I disagree with him including on the posts on this page. The debates I've had with him feel like real debates and not just talking past each other.

No Worries and Os Trigonum like this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Haha debate is great .. disingenuous bias -trolling is something else all together

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Exactly. Even worse is watching someone go 9 rounds with a disingenuous troll. It's exhausting scrolling past it all.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol yeah now if can get more people to ignore it that would be great thanks!

[​IMG]

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Can't have Republican hero's everywhere at all times.

[​IMG]

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Gee, where will he post his fake info? I know, facebook, fox news, and trump's new social media vehicle...