1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic - Kelly Iko] Rockets Trade Deadline notebook 1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Could be a really good pick tho. LeBron gonna be hella old in 3027.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Immortalized.

3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Lebron is leaving the Lakers when his contract is up. His son enters draft that same year. 100% guaranteed (Barkley Voice)

He will sign a 1 year deal with whoever drafts his son and try to beat Kareem's point record, then retire.

Dacamel likes this.
  4. Victorious

Victorious Member

when does his son enter the draft? maybe one of our picks or nets picks is good enough to draft him then lol

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shooting threes was the only chance they had of winning against GS. It was the right strategy it just didn't work out.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem was that the Warriors were better at Moreyball than the Rockets were.

glimmertwins likes this.
  7. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

2024 Draft.

His son is not ranked that high unless he grows and changes his game in a year. He might be had with a 15th-20th pick.

8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets were not trying to win last year once Wood got hurt during winning streak....they didnt want to give up the pick to OKC.... like damn have you been under a rock.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They held out healthy players all year in Wood and Gordon - they were tanking on purpose.

DD

10. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Exactly what I been saying.... you can use Moreyball to build a lead.... but once you get that lead... you need to take best available shot! If its a open midrange shot...so be it. all Rockets needed was 4-5 midrange shots instead of going 0-27 from 3 to win that game by 1

Dobbizzle and NewAge like this.
  11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I said the exact same thing you just did. I was referencing the streak. I know they were tanking the rest of the season. Silas lobbied to get Dipo because he wanted him instead of making a better trade and they offered the max to Dipo. Yes, I was around for all of it. This still doesn't say anything good about Silas. I am not holding his win record against him or any other young players. If I am lobbying for every veteran to get traded and that is what the team is doing I am obviously not against the goals of the team or that Silas is losing. We both agree that is his job.

D-rock and gfab-babyboi like this.
  12. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Stone said they offered the max to Dipo as a courtesy knowing he would turn it down … Dipo was the right choice… or we would be stuck with Levert currently .

Silas system clearly works - look at the numbers ( things out of his control, kill this team the majority of the time) Turnovers, Poor Free Throw Shooting, Missing wide open 3’s …… His system creates open shots, he just needs the talent to execute it. Wood (slipping every PnR, refusing to switch onto bigs, lazy rim defense) needs to be gone… EG needs to be traded but I’m okay with the PT he gets…KPJ and Green can learn from his physical driving ability

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wall is smart, I wouldn't give up $47m either.......it sucks overall - but that is a life's worth of money.

DD

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I want Gordon gone not only for us but also for Gordon. He is suffering in these last 2 years watching PJ Tucker win championships. He deserves better than being stuck on this team. Rockets owe it to him to find him a roster that can contend

xaos likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A. Not with Chris Paul
    B. You've kinda missed the point of part of what Moreyball was about - variance.

glimmertwins and D-rock like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

You're head will explode when the young guns start complaining amirite?

The most competitive players will complain about losing and/or usage.

It's the nature of sports.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't arguing that they shouldn't have used Moreyball principles.... as you said, it's what have them a chance, it's just that the Warriors did a better job of playing Moreyball.

A big part of that was losing CP3, sure, but saying why something happened isn't saying it didn't happen.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

And @Nook also clarified his post stating that there was no negative rep from Rockets or around NBA toward EGo.

The best players complain because they want to win, this is NOT a bad thing.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so silas is a genius?
    just needs a lebron curry durant harden MJ, 5 man team around him to execute it?

imho if you create an open shot for david nawba then you didnt create nothing...opponents are more likely leaving him open cause they know hell miss
    wood nwaba etc getting FTs is not a good offense because its hack a wood exploitation cause he cant hit em

Silas benched his best player and played godamn freakin thesis over him...and trying to make him into a 3pt shooter which he is not...not a sign of a good system...

in this day and age to defend silas man you are something

so you absolve him from failing to inspire, motivate players, from holding them accountable to execute and practice?, its not his fault just players are lazy so they are bad shooters and lack works ethic?
    all other coaches with better record than his are just lucky because their players are not lazy?

dont you think any coaches system would work if players just hit their shots?