1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets open to trading John Wall for Russell Westbrook if incentivized

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 21, 2022.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You are suggesting that he would forgo his PO next year that pays him $47 million dollars, go play for the Clippers the rest of this season at the minimum (after getting his full buyout), then what happens next season?? Even if he got a full MLE deal, he still isn't making back that $47M. You really think he is going to give that up?

DaDakota likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His ego is kind of ridiculous.....that's why he never managed to have any real success despite his amazing talent. When it comes down to it, he prioritizes padding his own stats over anything else. If he's faced with losing money or sitting out for a season and a half, I think he tosses the money to get back on the court. In his mind, he's a superstar, not a worthless has been.

luckyman76 likes this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If you’re Stone you have to consider I can trade Gordon for likely a late first in the 22 or 23 draft or offer him to LA for an unprotected 2027 pick. Which is better?

The deal I’d really consider is Gordon, Wood, and Theis for WB and the 2027 pick.

We take on the worst two contracts in the NBA that both expire simultaneously. You clear Theis’s long term contract. You lean in hard to the tank this year and you land an unprotected 2027 pick that should be in the lottery. You’re not going to get more than late FRP each for Wood and Gordon so I’d rather roll the dice and plan around the possibilities of all that cap space.

AXG and Aruba77 like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Hell to the no man. I'm all for acquiring picks, but I don't want to acquire WB, give up good contributing players, and only get one unprotected 2027 pick. Lakers will always be attractive to free agents, so as long as the team has their **** together, they may not be bad for very long once Lebron retires. I don't want to bank my hopes on that ****.

5. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Do the Westbrook and a 2017 FRP for Wall as long as you have assurances we can do a buyout with Westbrook. If they want Gordon too they need to do a lot better than THT. No way you do Gordon for THT. That’s ridiculous.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wood and EG combined are worth at least three first rounders. Theis's contract is no big deal, to be added in whatever deal later.

Don't want both crappy contracts...no way.

I'll take Westbrook & 2027 for Wall. That pick could be anywhere from 6 -16.

Rockets FTW, jcmoon, NewAge and 2 others like this.
  7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

As usual fans overrate their players. Prepare to be disappointed with the returns for Gordon and Wood guys.

Reeko, dmoneybangbang and clos4life like this.
  8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Nah. Gordon is probably the most sought out piece for a team that wants to win a championship. Wood is not that at all.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6q1CaGNbvrnHFas1Z02wQB

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you did that you would probably have to play both. No way the NBA and the players association going to let you sit two max players for 1 1/2 years. The players association would pretty much instruct players to boycott the Rockets. If we play them we would definitely screw our chances at a top 5 pick this year.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wait - the Lakers already traded Lonzo, so they can't trade him as part of a Westbrook/ Wall trade.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Because Rockets want to increase Gordon's trade value and maximise returns.
    Whereas they want Westrbook (or Wall) to take a buyout and forfeit their player option.

Part of the negotiation process

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I really can't believe how much steam this Westbrook + 2027 pick for Wall is picking up. It seems like Lakers fans are for it. That's so crazy to me. I'd do that all day and twice on Sunday. I think Westbrook would be more open to a buyout because he'd be convinced somebody else would give him the max. He does not suffer from a lack of confidence.

But even if he isn't bought out, whatever. He's fun to watch if you're not actually trying to win. It's fine. I think, at the least, he'd be receptive to a buyout before next season.

My dream scenario for this trade deadline is this deal, Gordon for a 1st rounder and Wood for a 1st rounder or two.

15. alethios

alethios Member

No way I play him if we do acquire him. He's awful to watch, has no shot, will likely hog the ball and ISO (TO) way too much. I just hope he agrees to a buyout if we pull the trigger.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you would need to buy him out. He has a player option next year. If he doesn't like his role here, I think his ego would allow him to opt out and find a more suitable situation. As crazy as it sounds to leave $47mm on the table, I don't think he would give up a year's worth of playing (and stats). And I think he could could still get a decent contract from some team. He's not coming back from injuries having lost a step like Wall. His deficiencies are the same as they always have been. You just need to be able to cover for them. The Lakers have no ability to do that. If it weren't for the size of Westbrook's contract, the Lakers could make moves and be a better team while keeping him. He shouldn't be part of any team's Big 3, but I think he could serve a role.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

So, this might actually happen? We might trade Wall for Westbrook after trading Westbrook for Wall? And receive draft compensation in both trades?

cat and dogs, living together, mass hysteria!

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Ghost5Horse6

Ghost5Horse6 Member

That's Morey's p*rn video. I hope he reacts.

20. a time to chill