1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun>Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanming, Dec 9, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Mobley's defense is his bread and butter, his offense in the post is very raw. Sengun is the exact opposite.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how is mobley in playmaking department? i hear hes very good not sure tho

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Regardless of the comparison with Mobley, Sengun's post-up skills are already almost elite. Among players with at least 60 post-ups (Sengun has 89)

He shoots 58.8% from the post 3rd behind Jerrett Allen and Lebron, tied with Durant
    His points per play is is .97. It is not elite yet, but he is only 19 and this is low because of his turnovers. If he can limit those, than this number will be elite right away as well.
    His and-1 rate is also very good.

Considering his passing ability, the post-up game is definitely something he should invest on.

aaquaa likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

people also forget his FT drawing rate is elite

hes not just a postup guy and the fouls he draws are not some gimmicky harden manipulation stuff or durants touch fouls... the fouls he draws are LEGIT
    he also has an elite handles for a postup guy.... other postup guys you need to set up with the ball closer to the rim, you can give alpi ball wherever you want and hell get to his spot easily most often than not except if its a double team, then its an assists

1. ELITE POSTUP GAME
    2. ELITE FOUL DRAWING RATE
    3. ELITE PASSING
    4. ELITE FINISHING AT THE RIM
    [​IMG]

One of the most talented players in the league

aaquaa likes this.
  5. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Sengun clearly the happier player….

GotGame15, conquistador#11 and D-rock like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

That was a very tentative "I'm happy" from Sengun.

Hope all is well.

Just needs to limit his turnovers and fouls so Silas doesn't lose confidence in him.

This is the area that Mobley has clear advantage over Sengun, ability to play aggressive defense without fouling and he also doesn't turnover the ball as much.

Mobley is also much longer and the more explosive athlete.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not so sure, but it is a face up league.

He better shoot these 3 pointers and make them.

GotGame15 and D-rock like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Before all is said and done, Sengun should be a consensus top five player in this potentially historic draft. (best in many years)

Mobley on the other hand, is already clearly the best player....and, that gap is just gonna get wider, as time moves on.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

He should develop both eventually. I see a big opportunity in developing his post-up play:

If he develops a 36.5% (CW this season) 3 pt shot, this makes 1.1 pt per play (assuming no turnovers, in reality it will be worse). Getting to the same pt per play in the post is very realistic. I actually think he will do better than that. So his post play will be more efficient than his 3 pt play.

Even if he has same efficiency in both, post-up play have other advantages:

1) Draws more fouls
    2) Draws more double teams, creating ball movement and high percentage plays for others
    3) It is a high percentage play(Sengun currently at 58.8%) vs 3pt being a low percentage (targeting 37%). Even though they will produce the same production in the long run, the trade off is that you are more likely to miss many more 3s in a row(Rockets fans should be aware of this). If your priority is to score, post-up is the better option, which is a quite valuable asset in the play-offs.

It is similar to the mid-range game. Mid-range is dead for players who can't play it well enough. If you are Kawhi or CP3, it becomes a perfect weapon in the playoffs. With the league going away from post-up play, many teams will not have players that know how to defend the post-up well, sengun being so good at it early in his career, has a great shot at exploiting these weaknesses.

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He would not draw many double teams when he is a bench player playing 15 minutes a game.

First the Rockets have to deal Wood, I think that is still the Elephant in the room.

The Post Up is coming naturally to him so I would not worry about it that much other than increasing his Playing Time.

AlperenSengun and aaquaa like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol yanis won 2 MVPs and finals MVP and he cant shoot... 3 point mania is really terrible both for basketball and peoples brains

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun is better than mobley, good job allowing silas to fool you...

13. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Remember the Chicago game - he was double teamed at every possession.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is definitely not better than Mobley, but if Sengun was picked #2 and they forced him into the starting lineup and fed him with minutes and shot attempts like some other players, he'd be in the conversation for ROY.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and what if the situation is reversed, how good mobley would have looked if he only played 12 minutes a night on most of the nights, and danuel house was in charge of playmaking duties playing alogside him?

see how easy it is to be fooled by Silus and Locus?

good night america wherever you are!

aaquaa likes this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've always said Heaven is the best player in the draft.("transcendent" is the word I used) Nothing SS does or says is going to change that.

Doesn't mean I don't love Alperen...He possesses a natural feel for the game that's off the charts.

I'm sure these guys will have many wars over the years.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no question that Sengun would look better if he got more playing time, but Mobley is simply on a different level. He's by far the best palyer in this rookie class.

I think when it's all said and done with, Sengun could end up in the top or 4 of this class up there with Mobley, Barnes, and Cade.....which would be amazing.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Mobley isn't accurate in the post for the same reason Jalen Green isn't accurate whenever anyone bodies him - they are 19yr olds with slight frames who need to build strength to be successful at certain parts of their game and while it inhibits Mobley's post play, it also makes him a relatively quick shot blocker. Sengun is the opposite - has the size & skill to score in the post but that size comes at a cost because he can't defend in space with anywhere near the same skill as Mobley. It's an Apples and Oranges thing. Mobley will be fine because they didn't bring him there to be a back to the basket post up guy anyway - he's going to be a face up/stretch style big anyway.

aaquaa, AlperenSengun and Plowman like this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

You forgot about Jalen Green, the most talented player in the draft class....

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, no, I didn't.

In all honestly I'm just hoping that he turns out to be a quality starter one day. If he can do that, I'll be thrilled.

aaquaa likes this.