1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando Sentinel: Magic want Francis, Mobley and Cato

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 16, 2004.

1. micah1j

micah1j Member

I too agree that the Pistons winning the title does not change the nature of the NBA. Its a super star dominated league. 2 teams with out a true super star win the title in some 30 years is not a trend.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

One thing that MUST happen will be that McGrady himself should improve his defense!!! JVG will make sure of that.

Big team though...and that makes for a solid wall....

PG - Barry 6'6"
    SG - McGrady 6'8"
    SF - Jackson 6'6"
    PF - Howard 6'9"
    C - Yao 7'6"

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm always pessimistic about our chances to acquire stars or even desirable role players, but I think we've got the inside track on this one. I don't know, it's just a gut feeling, but if McGrady is serious about Houston being his top choice, I've got to think so. If you look at those packages, it would seem to me that our package offers quite a bit of incentive to Orlando.

Francis and Mobley have risen their games against East competition throughout their careers. Cato is a wildcard, but could have an impact in the East at a position that is historically weak. They would be adding a potentially strong power forward in Okafor (or Howard) and this trade fills three other positions in PG, SG and C -- including two of the toughest to fill. They also still have star power in Steve Francis.

The Pacers offer is a good one, but do they want a coach to have to deal with Artest and how would Harrington and Bender fit in with Okafor-or-Howard and Drew Gooden?

I'm hoping this will start to become reality around draft time. We'll see.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So far, these are the names reportedly ASKED FOR by Orlando. What will the counter offers be? What might TMac, himself, DEMAND TO SIGN AN EXTENSION???

5. chewy

chewy Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-magic-mcgrady&prov=ap&type=lgns

Reports: McGrady wants out of Orlando

By MIKE BRANOM, Associated Press Writer
    June 18, 2004
    ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Tracy McGrady has reportedly told the Magic that he wants out of Orlando.

McGrady informed the team of his decision in a meeting on Friday, the Orlando Sentinel and Florida Today newspapers reported on their Web sites, quoting league sources.

Magic spokesman Joel Glass declined comment on the reports. McGrady didn't answer phone calls, and someone who answered the intercom at his gated home said he wasn't there Friday night. His agent, Arn Tellem, didn't return a call from The Associated Press.

McGrady can opt out of his seven-year, $93-million contract after next season, and has said he will do that rather than suffer through more losses -- such as the 21-61 campaign that ended in April.

Team executives repeatedly have said they wanted to know soon if McGrady is in or out. They insist they won't let him walk without receiving compensation, as happened with Shaquille O'Neal, who joined the Los Angeles Lakers as a free agent in 1996.

The future of the Magic apparently wasn't an interest for McGrady on Friday as he skipped a pre-draft workout by potential No. 1 overall pick Emeka Okafor.

McGrady also won't watch prep power forward Dwight Howard work out with the team on Saturday. The Magic own the top pick in the draft and are deciding who to take or whether they should trade the selection.

McGrady has said he'd rather see Orlando deal the pick it won in the draft lottery to acquire veteran help.

``That's his opinion,'' said Okafor, the 6-foot-10 center-forward from Connecticut.

Magic general manager John Weisbrod claims he has received trade bids that are intriguing and getting better by the day.

``There are teams offering three guys and their first-round pick. Three established players and a lottery pick is certainly a respectable offer for a team that has a lot of holes to fill,'' Weisbrod said. ``It comes down to making a judgment of how special you think one of these two kids can be.''

Drafting Okafor, a two-time national defensive player of the year, would immediately toughen up Orlando's play in the paint. The Magic finished last in almost every defensive statistic last season, with the final games resembling layup lines and dunk contests.

Okafor averaged almost 4.3 blocks per game in his three seasons at Connecticut, and his 411 career blocks rank seventh in NCAA history. He also averaged 10.6 rebounds.

The knock on Okafor is his offense, although it improved at Connecticut. His career average of 13.8 points has many wondering if his ceiling is limited.

``I'll try to help in as many ways as I can,'' Okafor said. ``I'm not a big guy about talking, 'I'm going to do this, I'm going to do that.' I pretty much just show up and let my play do the talking' and come season time, everybody's questions will be answered, good or bad.''

Okafor said he's never played on a losing team, but if he's selected by the Magic he'll fall from college's best to the NBA's worst.

``The year before I came to Connecticut, they had a losing season or it was an NIT year,'' said Okafor, named the Final Four's Most Outstanding Player when the Huskies won the national title in April. ``That's kind of the same situation I see here. They just happened to have a bad year for whatever reason, but all the pieces are still there from last year.

``From what the people have told me, they have pretty much straightened out or are working on it,'' he said.

----------------------------------------------

Unless Orlando's GM is lying, it seems like the bidding has already begun. And I assume he is talking about Phoenix, or possibly the Clippers since they have lotto picks and have been mentioned as possible suitors.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Okay, read about 6 pages of this and am too lazy to read anymore...

I have never liked Tracy McGrady and I don't know if I ever will. There is something about him that makes me think he is a grade A punk. I understand his talent and I actually don't think it is a bad deal but I just wish that I could like him instead of detesting him.

Oh and for those of you who want Eddie Griffin back? Are you nuts???

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

Been awhile since I've been about these parts, but figured I'd add in the general consensus from Magic fandom...

Support is about 50/50 on dealing McGrady. Half of the fans blame the management for pushing McGrady out, half of them support the management because they feel that McGrady has "chickened out" of the situation. My feeling? This team was doomed when it wouldn't put out enough money to sign the players they had lined up, then by trusting Doc Rivers to make personnel decisions. Rivers is a horrible, horrible Xs and Os coach and an even worse judge of talent. That digression and the fan support aside, McGrady is going to be dealt.

Houston does not offer the best package, nor do they really have the players to offer the best package. What the Rockets have going for them that none of the other teams have, though, is Yao. McGrady is also apparently pretty keen on playing in Houston. Both of those factors will come into play.

However, if McGrady tells the Magic and Suns that he will sign an extension if dealt to Phoenix, I don't think the Rockets can top an offer of Marion, Johnson, #7 and another player for McGrady. Don't forget that Phoenix, if they can dump White or Eisley on the Bobcats in the Expansion Draft (something that looks likely), will have the cap room to make a max offer to someone or smaller offers to two players -- they could well add Steve Nash (though I can't see him leaving Dallas) or Mehmet Okur and another player. They'd arguably have more pieces to build around after a trade. Dealing with Phoenix also allows the Magic to get a player somewhat comparable to McGrady, a starting SG, as well as a point guard out of the draft.

Indiana can offer quite a few players, but I can't see a deal being worked out with them. Why? They're in the same conference. Unless McGrady demands a trade there, I can't see the Magic trading Tracy McGrady within the conference. Westward bound is more likely. ESPN Insider mentioned the Clippers, perhaps able to offer a deal centered around Maggette and the #2 - not sure I'd put much stock into that right now. To sum things up, Houston has some things going for it here, but I think Phoenix has the inside track. Don't forget that there's a long history of the Magic dealing with the Suns, despite the change in management.

As for McGrady, the player - you would be getting a superstar small forward, that much is for certain. The question becomes, will he play second fiddle to Yao? As it sets up now, he wouldn't be the focal point of the offense. He claims to not want to be the focal point - thus wanting to get out of Orlando - but that leads you to question his drive to be an elite player; it also leads you to wonder how much of it is smoke, and that there would be chemistry problems coming to Houston? Further, McGrady has those back issues which are always going to be a problem, and he probably will bring some negative attention to things he may say in the press. Having JVG and others around to support him and "nurture" him will be essential to making it all work...and even then, you're dealing with a fragile ego.

On the positive side, McGrady is a gifted scorer, an above average defender (when he wants to be), a showman, and has the ability to get a triple-double every night. His three point shot is good-but-not-great, though he tends to rely on it too often - perhaps in an attempt to coddle his back along. He's a player like Dominique Wilkins - you expect him to break out one day and totally dominate the league, but it might never happen. He's a great player, for sure, but there are some questions looking down the road.

That said - it'd be a stellar pickup for Houston, giving you all two pieces to build around. JVG and staff showed last year an uncanny ability to sign players up cheaply and get the most out of players already on the roster (to some degree), so I don't think that filling leftover roster holes would be a problem were a deal to go down between the Magic and Rockets. Signing a point guard would become a necessity, though -- I don't think Mark Jackson can hold down the spot for an entire year.

Long story short - I'd put Houston #2 in the order of deals happening, and it's something the Rockets should push to make a reality. There are drawbacks, yes, but many of them can be allayed with the right support staff and management in place. The back issue and fragile ego will always remain, but there's no denying the talent. I'll stick around until this is all over with, see what little I might be able to add...afterward, probably back into the depths of the Internet for me.

8. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I disagree. In my eyes, our package does not seem as rewarding to a team that will be rebuilding. The league has changed, teams (especially looking to rebuild) put alot of emphasis on potential, and the Rockets package simply does not have any. With the said Rockets' package you know what you're getting, in principal; an athletic, all-star combo guard, an undersized, quality shooting guard (with a player option next season), and a serviceable center.

The Phoenix deal, to me, is the most likely, of said deals, that would appeal to Orlando. Why? Because there is more potential. Phoenix has reported to offer Marion, Jacobson, and the #7. With Marion you get and athletic, all-star small forward; Jacobson a servicable back-up two guard that is a nice spot shooter and the potential to turn the #7 pick into a quality player. Now, if the Suns want to ice the deal, all they have to do is throw in Joe Johnson and it will be done. The article above mentions "three players and a pick" and if it is Marion, Jacobson, Johnson, and the #7, I don't think the Rockets can put together a better package outside of Ming.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

well if Phx's offer is the best one--i'm not arguing that--would y'all support getting Tmac here if it means taking on Hill's contract as well?

"Yea you get Marion, Johnson, Voskuhl (or Jacobsen) plus their draft pick...we get you Francis, Mobley, Cato AND take Hill off your hands"

10. sup123

sup123 Member

i would. Doesent hills contract end next year?

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Hill will stay in Orlando. It's Howard that they are looking to move. The Magic were trying to unload Howard last year.

12. mfclark

mfclark Member

The Magic are counting on Hill being healthy for next year, or else they would've exposed him in the Expansion Draft. I don't think they are looking to deal him, just to unload the contract.

13. mfclark

mfclark Member

Wholesale changes coming for the Magic. The Sentinel posted a revised version of their story from earlier today about him wanting out.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-bk-tmac061804,1,5516649.story?coll=orl-magic

Apparently McGrady told the team in December (near Christmas) that he wanted out and that they've been fielding offers ever since. Several teammates had privately said that they felt he wanted to be dealt.

A trade is expected within the next week, it appears, before the draft. The article also says that up to two other Magic players, citing a highly placed league source, could also be traded before the draft.

Indiana, Phoenix and Houston are reiterated as the top suitors.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

ah well....that makes it very interesting.

What if Phoenix gets McGrady for the rumored package, signs Dampier and Bruce Bowen and has a trade with the Bobcats for a drafted Derek Fisher?

Dampier
    Amare
    Bowen
    McGrady
    Fisher

Pretty crazy lineup

15. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Give cuttino, taylor , pike, griffin

16. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

5 on 2 advantage - Pistons. They are not going away.
    There is something to be said about team. Spurs won as a team.

17. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

Tim Duncan not a true super star?????

18. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

i think hes referring to the 78 sonics.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

even after a tmac deal they would have enough cap space to sign nash and okur. those are the guys rumored to be going there.

i think bowen opting out was just a way for the spurs to protect him. i think he will re-sign there after the e-draft

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Great post. Thanks for the inside info. This confirms quite a few of my misgivings about making this trade. However, with the news coming out of LA this morning, the world has now changed and if Shaq wants to come back to Orlando, anything can happen.