1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

with JG & Love both playing 35 minutes as starters?

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I always see excuses like JG is not in a good position to excel...

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Folks like 2 say the Mobley ships has sailed when called out for being mobley mob.

But instead of being positive about the improvements seen in Green game.

Complain and btch of how we whiff on green day In and day out.

At this point it's just ego stroking for some folks

Verbal Christ and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah well, that's just what his superfans are saying to try and blame his struggles on everyone else. It's just impossible to take seriously.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay......what improvements?

He's shooting under 30% from 3, 38% from the field, he's averaging more turnovers than assists, he's the worst defender on the team and one of the worst in the league.....what "improvements" should I be praising?

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

THIS IS THE 1ST YR OF THEIR CAREERS.

I remember when Carmelo got off to a hot start vs LeBron and people were thinking Carmelo was the better pick.

GIVE IT TIME!

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, because these teams are literally 25 wins apart. Cavs on pace to win 49 and rockets on pace to win 24. Even if we're being extremely generous, I find it hard to believe a Jalen to Mobley swap would be a 13 win difference for each team. Even without Mobley I still think that cavs team is probably around 500, and I don't think Mobley on the rockets makes them even close to a 500 team, assuming we leave everything else the same.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think Jalen's problems arise from his size. He was much more agressive early on but the more the season went on, he seem to have lost confidence.

To me, once he gains another 15 - 20 lbs, it will make all the difference. The majority of his points come from outside, so if his shot is off, he's ineffective.

He has it; the length, the athleticism, BBall IQ, he just needs to gain weight to be able to absorb the contact of getting to the hole on a regular basis.

Verbal Christ, eliefor3 and D-rock like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Certainly his size is an issue, he's still in the "baby deer" phase of development, but the bigger issues come from his lack of skill.

He's been able to get by on his freak athleticism to this point, at the NBA level you need more than that. He's lost a lot of his aggressiveness because he's gotten blocked at the rim so many times this year already. When you are used to being able to blow by people and get dunks, it's a hit to your confidence when you are cleanly blocked and thrown to the ground time and time again doing the same thing at the NBA level.

Also, another issue is his shot, he's a streaky rather than good shooter, but I certainly think that's something he can work on over time.

Yet another issue is that he has no clue how to play defense whatsoever.

No one should give up on him yet, but I don't think it's productive to pretend he's currently someone that he's not. He was always going to be a super raw prospect that took years to develop.....even if that's not how he was billed.

vator, ClutchCityReturns and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of course.

Again, you are trying to muddy waters by even trying to make this a point of contention.

No one is saying Mobley on Rockets would equal same wins as Mobley on Cavs.

But Mobley would make Rockets a better team than Green on Rockets.

For one, Silas 2 big line up with Wood and Mobley instead of Wood and Theis would have been much more successful.

#2130 D-rock, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    tycoonchip and harold bingo like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cavs would not be a top team in the East with Green.

I'm almost certain that Cavs would have drafted another player over Green anyway. Cavs already had a plethora of guards.

I would have taken Barnes over Green with 3rd pick.

clos4life and xaos like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I can see that. But I think he has some skills, if you can get 30pts in a game more than once in your rookie season....you have skills.

I think right now, it's a culmination of being slight of build, confidence being shook and tired legs.

13. dmoneybangbang

Muddy the waters by pointing out the Cavs had a bunch of complimentary players already on the roster? That was my original point….

14. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

What you hear about good players is that they "make it look easy". That's what's going on with Mobley in Cleveland. Looks like he slid into a good situation, not so much because it was, but because Mobley is making it so. Maybe not 100% of the credit goes to Mobley, but 80%plus.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And if Mobley was in Houston and Green was in Cleveland we'd be hearing how Houston made it easy for him pairing him with Wood, Wall, and KPJ while Green struggled with Garland taking his touches and Kevin Love being washed.

NewAge, vlaurelio, CXbby and 3 others like this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

No just a JG observation after watching some college hoops. More that college level competition (not specific guys) would be JG's breakfast.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree though. I'm not saying that it's guarateed he will blow up because he's young...but, it's better to be young as an athlete than old is all I meant.

He has room to grow and mature, we'll see if that's what he does.

NewAge and D-rock like this.
  18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

He needs to get bigger so he can create space. Ego is a great finisher at the rim bc he can create space. He doesn't need to become a tank like ego or harden but he does need to add some muscle so we can absorb contact and not get blocked.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's amazing, it's almost as if you seek the thread with people who are optimistic about Green and then find yourself surprised that people are optimistic about his future.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Can I just say also, Markannen is not a big, otherwise he would be part of the Bulls team that's much better than the Cavs. A big that can do what he does on the perimeter is worth $25m+. He himself came to this conclusion last season, I recall an article quoting his agent saying he's looking for a spot where they accept him as a wing. It has been known about him since college. If you started him at the 5 he would be a poor rebounder, defender, shot blocker and post player. He has always taken more jumpers than inside shots. He's Joe Harris with 1-2 extra rebounds incidental to his height.

People obsessed with the past don't want to see the league is not about bigs. Jokic and Embiid still have 0 titles and barring an amazing return for Simmons, that will continue. Giannis is the most perimeter-oriented dominant big in history, he has shown the path to what the future of bigs looks like.

The winners of this generation are Giannis, Lebron, Steph, KD, Kawhi and unfortunately Anthony Davis.

It's unfortunate that the Lakers got that mickey mouse ring in the bubble, launching a generation of GM's and owners who don't want to tell their fanbase they can't get a star wing. What an excuse to be mediocre. Indulging the nostalgia of some old school fans.

If the Cavs think they are winning a title without any more top picks, they are kidding themselves. I will put money on us winning a title before them EVEN if Jalen were a bust.

WITH THIS GARBAGE ROSTER when Silas' job came into question, he immediately activated a winning strategy and won 7 straight lol. Anyone can push their vets to the max alongside their top picks and compete for home court in the East while barking at their players from the sidelines for 82 consecutive games. That **** fizzles out. We've seen teams do this EVERY season for years now in the Celtics, Knicks, Bulls and now Cavs. Where are the Knicks and Celtics? We have that option in front of us and have declined it. We can play Theis/Wood/Tate/Green/Wall with Gordon, KPJ and Sengun off the bench and compete for the WESTERN playoffs. Yes those darned Western playoffs that everyone is quick to write off at the start of each season before it slowly shifts back into Western dominance.

Further, the Cavs ownership is the OPPOSITE of the Rockets ownership. While Fertitta was waiting for some kind of guarantee that we will win a title to convince him to spend LT, Dan Gilbert that sleazy POS had been outspending the Warriors and Lakers with no regard for size of city or fan base or his personal wealth. In their title season, Gilbert agreed to a budget that would guarantee a massive loss out of his pocket even if they got to the Finals and lost. What he doesn't understand is that a Lebron James is not signing as an FA in Cleveland anymore.

We don't have that with Tilman and we didn't have that with Les. We must build through the draft because when it comes time to get over the hump for the THIRD F'ING TIME since our last title, again our owner will say: I'm willing to spend LT for a championship. Well guess what, the spending has to come before the title and I'm not taking my chances on our cheap b*stard ponying up the dough to compete with big market teams. I want great players on team controlled contracts, thank GOD Stone understands this is the only way to do it without offending his boss.

We're good guys. We can cheer for Mobley while being fans of Green without acting like there's some divine thing going on over there. This franchise has its problems, but knowing how to get more wins than our talent in the regular season has not been a problem for us for 20 years, since Morey
    since Morey's first few seasons. One superstar player is simply not enough to win a title. If we were competing for playoffs I would start the Fire Stone thread myself.

I'll change my mind when the Cavs win a playoff series against a top seed in the East.

#2140 Mathloom, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022