1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

You have no idea what you are talking about. Go back and look at my posting history -- there were few bigger Mobley homers than I. Stop making assumptions about all fans who don't cry as hard as you.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

If it makes you feel better I also said Evan Mobley would average 19 points per game.

If the season ended today Mobley would be at 15 points per game. But the season doesn't
    end today.

You can also find my post before the draft where I said Green will be a little
    thin his rookie season, but in order to have his rights when he gets really
    good at around age 20 to 21.......you have to draft him now.

This season is just a transition season of getting use to travel schedule,
    opponents, opposing teams......it's the final 4 years of his contract that
    will be the real prize.

I'm sure you can find where I said, "you don't draft a player for what they bring instantly....
    it's for what that player will become or the career as a whole." [paraphrasing]

cmlmel77 likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

So you wanted Mobley instead of Green, and now he’s the consensus ROY and possibly all nba defense team while Green is rated one of the worst players in the league by any advanced or otherwise metric, and your complaint is that I voice my displeasure openly rather than suffer the pain internally? We all deal with loss and suffering differently.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

It’s really silly….

Some posters get real quiet when Green is performing at par and then get loud when it’s sub par.

If you “stan’d” for Marcus Morris… I wouldn’t be taking a victory lap right now.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

At par? When was this? The number of good games he’s had I can count on one hand. And I haven’t said much after all the horrible games until I couldn’t take it anymore after 0-11. Forgive me for venting.

GotGame15 likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree with most of what you say except that we still CANNOT for sure predict that Green will end up a worse player than Mobley. Nobody knows the future. Those who tell you like they are 100% sure we made the wrong pick are either arrogant pricks or delusional about their ability to predict the future, or both.

The most we can say is that so far Green's development has been somewhat disappointing. But not all hope is lost. There is still plenty of time for him to get much, much better. And apparently he does have the right motivation, which is one of the most underrated thing in the NBA.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

And nobody stan’d for Marcus Morris. No one campaigned to take him prior to the draft, like some of us did for Mobley, and Sengun. Making a thread after the draft saying Morris could be this if he can do this is just everyday message board fodder like if I said today Jaygup could be Jrue Holiday if he gets better on defense and shooting. But whatever makes you feel better.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

By this same logic we also still CANNOT for sure predict that Corey Kispert will be worse player than Mobley. Or for that matter any player better than any other player, until it has already happened. Why predict anything at all unless it is with absolute certainty, which nothing is?

It’s amazing how any of these players got drafted at all, it was all based on predictions of their futures after all.

GotGame15 and NewAge like this.
  9. Shake_it_up

Shake_it_up Member

Hope this isn't his future. Great athlete with a lot of. Potential but never lives up to the hype

GotGame15 and DaDakota like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

G Green's problem early in his career was mar1juana and his friends or crew, he was high all the time, and never worked on getting better, he just did enough to be decent - didn't have the drive to be a great player.

Let's hope J. Green works harder........but many get that money or fame and get stagnate, in fact most...

DD

Easy likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reading comprehension: I said you cannot predict? No. I said you cannot predict 100% for sure.

Logical thinking: Something is not very sure means everything is EQUALLY not sure? No. There are degrees of predictability. You seems to only understand the difference between 0% and 100%.

dmoneybangbang and Dobbizzle like this.
  12. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I wonder what jalen's header on Twitter means "still trying to heal from things I dont talk about"?

Kinda felt like something was off with him.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

My whole point then is the same now. Whether it be gleague or college it shouldn't really matter to the prospect. Mobley and Suggs would have had nice numbers in the gleauge too My thing was the whole "Well he did this in the gleague so he's more NBA ready" was incorrect. It doesn't mean he has less potential than any of those other guys but he clearly isn't NBA ready but he has shown flashes so that's good.

Well the point is he's still super young lol. There will be college players coming into the NBA this year that are older...so yes, it's definitely super relevant, it's silly to dismiss that.

I could still say "He's only 20." He's still extremely young. 2 weeks isn't changing that. That's what he has going for him just like every top 5 pick, potential. You don't have potential at 28, you do at 20.

Easy, harold bingo and D-rock like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ok. There are degrees of predictability. So who is to judge what degree it should be for Green? You? Or the people who wanted Mobley all along and saw through Green from the start?

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The negative nancies (self-proclaimed realists) have had their time, that's enough. Don't give them too much leash.

In 1996 Rookie of the Year by voting:

1) Iverson
    2) Marbury
    3) Shareef Abdurrahim
    4) Antoine Walker
    5) Kerry Kittles

Nowhere to be seen: Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Steve Nash the 3 best players of the class, arguably the best draft in NBA history. I think 2021 will go down as a top 5 draft of all time.

It was not clear till years later who the best player is, players changed spots many times, players who put up stats early looked hollow later, players who appeared as though they should be role players became champions.

Don't let them f*ck with your head with fake absolutism. "Oh when has that ever happened? How can it look this way if it's that way? I'm just being realistic." Don't allow them to hold the narrative that you're an idealist when they are predicting just as you are with the same information.

#2055 Mathloom, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Easy, ApacheWarrior, cmlmel77 and 2 others like this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here's another manipulation you shouldn't fall for:

Jalen Green 14.4 points on 12.7 shots = 1.13 points per shot
    Cade Cunningham 15.6 points on 14.7 shots = 1.06 points per shot

Jalen Green is even right now a more efficient scorer than Cade Cunningham and from the before the draft till now, you would have thought from their statements that it would have taken years - if ever - for Jalen to be that. Btw Jalen Suggs, who they also said is ready to contribute right away, is in the same boat. Maybe a bit higher or lower than them, but struggling mightily on efficiency.

Being a fan of this team doesn't mean you have to support all players blindly, but it is certainly suspicious if you are more negative about our rookie than all non-Rockets fans are about our rookie, while also being more positive about other team's rookies who are struggling or succeeding than fans of those teams.

That's not to say Jalen's performances thus far are meaningless or comparing him to others is meaningless. It's just to say it's a total farce to act like the on court data of 30 odd games is sufficient to determine whether a player is going to be Kobe Bryant or Stephon Marbury.

Don't worry guys. There will eventually be a draft class where the top 3 all pan out, it looks like it's this one.

#2056 Mathloom, Jan 23, 2022
    ApacheWarrior, cmlmel77 and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not saying he is not young but crazier things have happened in the league.

For instance Tracy McGrady' s prime was when he was 22-23.

Especially when Doncic and Lebron were balling out at age 20.

The development would not be steady for everyone, could be exponential like a Covid curve.

Being young does not mean he cannot blow up.

Also there were posters that was using 19 as a crutch to be apologists about his obvious shortcomings.

All those feel good esoteric posts surrounding one player lol it is like the second coming of Jerry Lin fans.

It all depends on his offseasons, mid-season improvements are just there to feed his Only fans.

#2057 daywalker02, Jan 23, 2022
  18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Did Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen or Steve Nash in their rookie season look so inept across so many simple fundamentals of basketball?

Or, were they just not outright blowing away the league to win ROY? They are two very, very, very different things.

I wonder if Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen or Steve Nash were ever so bad, that they had fluff pieces written about them running down the court, just so ANYTHING positive could be said about their game.

GotGame15 and ArtV like this.
  19. vator

vator Contributing Member

20. dmoneybangbang

Lots of projections are incorrect. Projecting NCAA rules with mostly amateur basketball players doesn’t exactly have the best track record over the last 40/50 years either.

I really don’t think we drafted Green because he’s the “most ready” but because of the potential and the character. Green struggled the first half of the shortened G League season as he made the leap from high school to pro.

JayGoogle likes this.