1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nook's 2022 Draft Big Board

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Nook, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Every draft class looks weak in college and strong in high school.

2. i3artow i3aller

3. Nook

Nook Member

The big idiot made the decision to have all freshmen and a couple sophmore players.... get some upper classmen if they are beating you........ he has 2-3 players on his team right now that were bigger prospects than the UH program has EVER gotten and he still will get his ass handed to him by a bunch of 2- star six foot tall guards Sampson found at a truck stop in some small shitty border town in Texas..... I like Penny, but stop complaining and develop some of these kids and get some glue guys because someone like Carlton will take down a 17-18 year old wonderkid every damn time.

BigMaloe, D-rock, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I posted it about a month ago but heard it again last night..... the Rockets are going to try hard to get a second top 10 pick in this draft.

My speculation is it is to speed up the rebuild and that the Rockets like a number of these guys.

It isn't anything too new.... they tried to do it last year as well, but got the guy they wanted (Sengun) outside the top 10.

BigMaloe, D-rock, Deckard and 9 others like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Probably to do that they need to trade Wood to one of those borderline playoff teams for their FRP. And then they have the BKN/MIA pick + NewFRP to move up.

BigMaloe, Nook, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Lol Chet #1 and Banchero #5 what a joke

That tells you all you need to know about this list

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I never said who would be a better scorer I have continually said I don't how any of these guys will translate on the next level.

You are the guy saying who is who Holmgren is closer to than the other guys not me.

I am not saying they are better prospects than Holmgren I am pushing back on your analogy what does Hakeem to Jordan have to do with this discussion?

I never said the only way for a prospect to succeed is to score and that Holmgren would be a bad pick, what are talking about?

I don't understand this quote by you, what does it have to do with anything?

Holmgren is a lot closer to Smith and Paolo in scoring than Hakeem was to Jordan

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But we don't know if he is even 75% of that on this level or the next.

Which is the point you would like to have seen it.

I need to go back and watch his high school games to see how he got his points.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His high school tape and international tape is very good. Hell his college tape is good, he’s just not the primary option on offense and still fills up the stat sheet. Actually shooting splits are better than Paolo.

BallaDoc likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You don't have to be the primary scorer to show that you can create your own shot against upper level competition.

I hope his shooting splits are better because he does shoot as difficult shots and is not asked to do as much as Banchero.

I would hope his tape is good but I am looking to see if he can create his own shot in crunchtime.

I am not anti Holmgren I just have a lot of questions I have a lot of the same questions about Smith, but I have seen him at least do some of those things.

Right now Holmgren is playing like a high level 3 and D and that D is mainly shot blocking, a great piece to have but not the 1st guy I would pick.

I would like to see how it looks with him as the hub of the offense, not just spotting up and shooting 3's and put backs.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Lets add Ivey and Griffin.

D-rock, Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Watch his game tape from this season, there are numerous instances of him creating shots for himself and others off the dribble and in iso situations. The athleticism, fluidity, handles and coordination for someone that big is impressive.
    I do agree with you that he’s playing more of a 3&D role right now but there are flashes of what made him the number 1 recruit coming out of high school

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

@jiggyfly

Here is U19 FIBA highlights where he was MVP

D-rock likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Nice thread Nook!

Of mid/ late lotto interest to me is Keegan Murray. I know he isn't a top 5 pick, but he may end up being one of the top 5 players in the draft class... He is just one of those guys you want to see succeed - is athletic enough and a good enough shooter and defender to make it at the next level. He could end up a taller version of Tate - but with a jumper.

I agree with others on Baldwin. The guy has perfect size and skill to make it as a modern SF in the NBA - will he be the next Michael Porter Jr? Enormous upside for whatever position he eventually gets drafted.

I also think Shaedon Sharpe will go top 5. Probably not an option for the Rockets given we have Green.

Not as high on AJ Griffin as others. I don't see him top 5 worthy. Athlete without a reliable jumpshot.

I've been watching the bigs. Maybe 3-4 decent centres as rim protectors and PnR guys who might go in the first round. Obviously Chet needs to define himself and his potential NBA role. Ideally he would be the screener who can step out for the jumper or roll to the hoop. His frame is a massive concern, I truly hope the Rockets fo NOT select him. After him Duren, Williams and Koloko seem to have the right skillset to be a 'Capela type'NBA centre.

Dyson Daniels. Serious upside as a 6'6 PG. I admit to over rating him because he is Australian! I think whomever drafts him needs to give him another year in the GLeague

Late first round:
    Ousmane Dieng. The forgotten man. Went for the Lamelo Ball route of playing in the Australian league. Has not worked out for him, but still a 6'9 wing with all the skills. Draft and stash or develop option?

Finally, my top 3 preference is only for Jabari Smith. I don't like Chets frame - too much risk. I don't like Paulos defence. I'm not sure what the ceiling is for Smith? I don't see a transcendent superstar, but a solid 20-10 guy who could play 4-5 all star games. His floor is pretty high though.

BigMaloe, Nook, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

he can create. He was the driving offensive initiator in crunch time vs. wenbanyama during the u19 finals. Put the team on his back during that stretch.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

But looked ineffective against a longer opponent, and then Wembeyama turned it up on the other end.

This is more an example of why Chet is a concern going forward, than a plus.

Having said that, if he was 3 inches broader across the shoulders, everyone says "he will fill out" and picks him first. Tough one due to the frame alone!

D-rock likes this.
  17. sydmill

sydmill Member

D-rock and Nook like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those are pretty much fast break baskets I know he could be deadly in transition.

Most of those were straight line drives and in transition, I already know he can do that, I would like to see him driving in a half court set or having plays run for him in the half set.

Also, against teams that would be gearing up to stop him.

Would like to see that but can he do it against teams designed to stop him?

So did he work Wembeyama or not?

are pretty much fast break baskets I know he could be deadly in transition.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The very first play is him finishing with a reverse after taking a guy off the dribble baseline. There’s multiple plays of him stop and pop or finishing at the rim in half court sets

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I acknowledge that, and it was a straight line drive by a guy who does not have good lateral ability, do you not know what a straight line drive is?

It seems you don't understand what I wrote in that original post or how these things translate to the NBA, you want to show him doing these things against college competition or higher level guys.

I never said he could not stop and pop or finish at the rim I have no idea what you think that proves or how it argues against what I am saying, my point has been he get you a bucket in crunch time when defenses are waiting on you or can he be the focal part of the offense, he has not shown that on this level.

I have continually said I don't know if has it in his game or not, I am just saying I would like to see it at this level, I would be happy to see plays run for him consistently he is being used currently as a glorified 3 and D guy and sorry everything else is projection.

I have a wait and see attitude concerning Holmgren, sorry if that ticks you off, and you feel you need to come to defense at every perceived slight.