1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get Christian Wood the Hell outta here ASAP for AMAP!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Don't.

Don't you dare do that Charlotte.

You're my only escape from the dumpster fire that is the Rockets.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've been trying to figure out a deal that sends him to Washington, but I can't come up with anything that works for both teams and fits the salary and roster limit parameters.

I think the Wizards might be desperate enough to take that chance .... before Beal says: "I want out".

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He's not going to put up those same numbers on a good team -- hence the "bad team".

aaquaa likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’ll never understand this argument. His rebounding numbers won’t change. He’s taking like 13 shots a game, which isn’t a ton. The numbers wouldn’t change at all.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i'd rather keep wood than a washed pj washington and a g leaguer in smith...

Astrodome and Hank McDowell like this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not interested in PJ either.

Crashlanded19 and ipaman like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bryant/Rui works. I know Bryant just came back from the major injury he had last year.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He's going to rebound less because there will be other rebounders on a good team. And, yeah...he likely wouldn't get 13 shots a game on a contender like the bucks. Think what you like.

aaquaa likes this.
  9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Agreed. I know everyone is rightfully down on Wood right now, but you can’t sell low on a talent like that. He does offer a very marketable skill set on a currently very reasonable contract. He is worth more than PJ Washington (who I do like) and Ish Smith, unless they also threw in a good pick.

ipaman and NewAge like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Offensively, you look at a player's efficiency to determine whether a guy's stats are "empty." Wood has been quite efficient, meaning his points don't come from chucking bad shots. This is playing with the 26th offense in the league. Commonsense tells me that if he played with better teammates, his efficiency would likely be better, not worse.

Take the Bucks, for example. Their second and third offensive options (Middleton and Holiday) take about 15 fga a game, very similar to Wood's. The TS% of both Middleton and Holiday is around 57%. Wood's is 56% this season (59% last season). Very comparable. He would be a third offensive option on a good team.

His defense is another matter. I will not defend his defense. But I think people's hatred of his defense spills over to his offense. He is a very good offensive player that can help a lot of teams.

NewAge, jacoby and B-Bob like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yuck Washington and ish for wood. What a win for Charlotte

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

What do Middleton and Holiday have in common? They're guards. Please stop comparing apples to oranges.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You mentioned the Bucks. So I gave you the Bucks. Their starting center Portis is much more efficient than Wood but is their 4th option. I am sure if Wood was the 4th best offensive player on a team, he would have similar numbers.

I am trying think of a starting center on a good team who can shoot from the outside.

How about Vucevic? He is also the 3rd offensive option shooting 16 fga per game. His TS% is 50%, much worse than Wood.
    How about Porzingus? 15 fga per game. TS% 57%
    How about Miles Bridges? 4th option of his team. 15 fga per game. TS% 58%
    Embiid 18 fga per game. TS% 61% -- he's in MVP conversation
    Jokic 18 fga per game. TS% 65% -- MVP

So most scoring big men with comparable style and usage are on the same level of efficiency. These are considered good big men on good teams. There's a big jump to the elite bigs Embiid and Jokic. Nobody would compare Wood to those guys.

aaquaa likes this.
  14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Nah, you were cherry picking stats of guards to try and make your opinion more valid.

Ignoring that his TS is lower than all of those except Vucevic while playing on a trash team.
    All of those players play better defense. His stats are fool's gold. Even with his emptiness he's rated 16th at his position. And that doesn't factor in how **** his defense is.

If he was as irreplaceable as you claim there would be no talk of trading him. My last post on the subject.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

I like Wood, but these numbers are not very informative, IMO they both undervalue and overvalue him at the same time.
    1. The lack of effort on D often reflects in better O-efficiency and vice versa. If you conserve energy on one end you can perform better on the other end. Eric Gordon is another example; career year on offense, but not many people mention that he’s taking it waaaaay easier on D than usual. These things are related. So the offensive numbers are positively affected by the lack of defensive intensity, IMO.
    2. I think Wood will be way more efficient in a system, instead of trying to create so often out of nothing. This team here just doesn’t give him enough opportunities for easy baskets (lobs, open shots, etc). Garbage men like Capella or Tyson Chandler have very high efficiency numbers. Wood is a much better offensive player than those, if he can get some more garbage baskets that would help his metrics go up.

Easy likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would agree that he is a very good scorer, but he is just an ok offensive player. He does not make the guys around him better on offense. In fact, he makes them worse by not being able (or willing) to set a pick, not consistently playing with aggression, and is terrible with outlet passes that are critical to a high pace team.

Easy likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was replying to your claim that if he was playing on a good team, he wouldn't have the same offensive numbers. I pointed out these good bigs on good teams to compare their efficiency with Wood. You give no argument to refute that. Instead you are shifting to (1) his lower TS which is like 1% point that could be changed after one game, and (2) his defense which I specifically said I did not like. Playing with good teammates makes it easier to be efficient. Do you not agree?

I DON'T LIKE WOOD. But the "empty stats" thing is overblown by the hating.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think if he isn't relied on to create offense, he would be a better player on offense. I do agree that on a good team, he might be coming off the bench in a 6th man kind of role.

NewAge likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t the Rockets would rely on him to create his offense, if he could actually play in a PnR offensive set. He rarely presents himself as a good target for lobs and even when he sets a pick he does not aggressively roll to the basket. We are on the same page with him as a really good scorer off the bench as a second stream center.

Corrosion and Easy like this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

PJ Washington and a lotto protected 1st is a good deal for Wood and I hope Stone takes it

Aruba77 likes this.