1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Learning Spanish

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My guess is that she can!

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They are empty? I opened the link in a logged out window and they came up just fine.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  3. Aware

Aware Member

it really shouldn't be a problem with the amount of media and native Spanish speakers in the states

picking the right gender for nouns might be a pain tho
    thank god i'm a native speaker lmao

Just think how an entire continent will open up to you if you get spanish down

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The problem is more with how languages are traditionally taught all thru school. They are taught completely incorrectly and that creates major problems with learning. People don't learn languages by repeating vocab or running thru conjugations of verbs. You learn it by listening to phrases, repeating them, and drilling it. This helps to create more automatic and more natural responses rather than struggling to remember how to conjugate a verb. It also helps to create a bit more confidence when you subconsciously spit out a phrase in Spanish without thinking because you've practiced the right way.

I didn't learn about this style of language learning until I was in my 4th year of college and poorly trying to minor in French. The last class I took before I switched minors was done in this sort of conversational immersion and drilling style. I couldn't really handle it back then because I wasn't prepared for the amount of time I needed to put in. When I stumbled on these Pimsleur lessons I realized they were done in the same style and they dramatically helped me with getting more comfortable in conversational Spanish. ...But it takes time and practice...

Aware and Deckard like this.
  5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Not sure what happened initially on mobile, but got it working. Thanks again.;)

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am hearing Puta a lot these days.

Nook likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Watch the La Risa en Vacaciones nonology. Learn Mexican Spanish and high culture at the same time.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The long-term relationship I had before my wife was with a first-generation Mexican. She said she didn't like me learning Spanish because she liked be able to talk **** in Spanish without me knowing what she was saying.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah the best way to learn Spanish is to get a Hispanic girlfriend or side piece.... you will learn a lot of Spanish during sex and also when she is pissed at you.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

@Deckard my son a few years ago picked Japanese as the language he wanted to learn. Has the hirigana down now and a ton of words (nouns).

He goes to Kealing a magnet school. Which has Japanese in 7th.

Just recently we looked into him going to Japan for a month in the summer. Probably early high school or so.

Did knowing the language well help her down the road at all?

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

She's a lead software developer, who got dragged into management for a while, but has escaped it for now. Knowing Japanese isn't something she has used in her career, at least not yet. It's more of an interest she has. Wish I could be more helpful. It sounds like a great opportunity for your son, although the world is incredibly complicated right now.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

A good friend's son got into Japanese in middle school. They got him lessons and he spent a year going to school in Japan and then got a Japanese major from UT. By that point, he was learning some other Asian languages. He now works for an agency in the federal government.

14. Buck Turgidson

It's not for everybody, but...

4 yrs HS Spanish (learned the basics, I was also a terrible student) then
    travel extensively South of the Border while
    working for a few years in Houston with native speakers while
    living with a bilingual woman for 3 years then
    live in South America for a year then
    move to the Texas country and
    hire a worker or 2 who speak minimal English
    profit, fluently