1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jaden Ivey

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by xaos, Nov 21, 2021.

1. xaos

xaos Member

@Nook if we landed the #1 pick, would you choose Ivey?

2. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I agree that the league has changed, I do not agree that there are few PGs left; Paul, Lowry, Young, Conley, Wall (he's out by mutual agreement with the Rockets), Rubio ...
    Anyway thanks for the answer. I still have serious doubts that Ivey is what the Rockets need. I think the ideal complement for Green is a PG whose main qualities are passing and defending, not attacking the rim or shooting.
    I agree that the league has changed, I do not agree that there are few PGs left; Paul, Lowry, Young, Conley, Wall (he's out by a mutual agreement with the Rockets), Rubio ... Yes, we don't see styles like John Stockton or Steve Nash very often anymore, but the floor generals keep "saying present” in this league.
    Anyway thanks for the answer. I still have serious doubts that Ivey is what the Rockets need. I think the ideal complement for Green is a PG whose main qualities are passing and defending, not attacking the rim or shooting.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I know you didn't ask me but at this point in time I'm taking Chet Holmgren number 1 and Banchero number 2. I like Jaden Ivey at 4 or 5, but he is missing aspects of need. Same with Jabari Smith. Chet is too skinny by the looks of it but looks aren't everything. He's effective. Banchero is effective too and has few exploitable holes in his game.

xaos likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

"But Chets too skinny". They still have to shoot over him, whether he gets bumped off or not.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think Ty Ty Washington is a sleeper guard in this draft.

6. xaos

xaos Member

D-rock and jcmoon like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Not feeling this pick

8. sydmill

sydmill Member

I could easily see Orlando having Ivey as their #1 guy given the makeup of their team. Wishful thinking maybe but Suggs-Ivey-Wagner- Isaac-Bamba is a pretty nice young lineup to build around and all the pieces seem to fit. I do think Suggs would push for Holmgren though.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I LOVE IVEY!!!

I'd trade Jalen Green for Jaden Ivey right now. No hesitation. Love his mentality and toughness as much as I love his game and skillset.

Ivey is uber explosive 2 way combo guard always playing at 1000 mph but still under control.

And his sticky defense would be great next to KPJ imo.

I envision a Rockets team filled with 2 way positionless players, all with elite verticality and length.

Then use Rockets top 5 FRP to draft Chet Holmgren or AJ Griffin, whichever of 2 is available.

Milos likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How would you trade up to get Ivey? Green and 2023 pick?

11. vator

vator Contributing Member

Anybody else watching this Ohio State vs. Purdue game?

Edit: No? Well you missed a good one. It ended with a bang. Ivey didn’t play particularly well down the stretch. Missed some shots and had a bad turnover as Ohio State overcame a double digit deficit. He wasn’t featured offensively down the stretch either which I found interesting. Then he splashed a game winner.

Weird…sounds like the announcer had an orgasmic experience there at the end. He REALLY enjoyed that shot.

#31 vator, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green for Ivey OR Griffin straight up.

Both Ivey and Griffin will not be in top 3, maybe not even top 5.

Green was 2nd overall in a better draft.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Got to see if Daishan is real first.

DD

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'll save you some time, Ivey is better.

No Worries, Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can't remember the last time somebody has actually packaged picks to move into that range, this is not the NFL and teams don't covet middle 1st round picks in the NBA.

No team is gonna trade a top 10 pick just to get a late lottery pick, the talent is just not that deep.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would we be picking because of what is best for Green?

What if the guy we pick is just flat better than Green?

You just admitted yourself that most teams have combo guards in the back court,
    so why would we not just pick the best guy and have 2 combo guards like what most of the NBA is doing.

There is zero reason we need to be picking to complement Green, we don't even know if he is a high caliber player at this point.

What do you think Smith is missing that Chet is not?

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Interior defense. Smith is not a rim protector nor does he force the offense to abandon parts of their attack to accommodate him.

That being said, if Chet and Banchero were gone, I'd be really happy with Jabari Smith. I love his defense on the perimeter and pretty much all of his offense. His energy is contagious but so was Green's... in another league that wasn't the NBA. It's much harder to bring that kind of energy that Jabari does when you're no where near being the best player on the court as he would be in the NBA. I'd love to be wrong. Maybe he's got a little Jaygup and Scotty Barnes in him and he doesn't care about the competition.

Still, Chet compliments Sengun more than anything and fills a role we haven't seen in quite a while: rim protector.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I will be very comfortable if the Rockets select Ivey.

He has all of the physical attributes to be a high level player in the NBA, he is an improved shooter and developing playmaker.

His numbers are lower than they would be on another team because the spacing around him is terrible.

Really important that the Rockets finish as bad as possible so that they get locked into the top 4-5 picks in this draft.

Holmgren/Smith/Banchero/Ivey all should be able to start and contribute right away.

Sharpe/Griffin have very high upside but may need a few seasons to hit their stride.

The drop off after that is fairly steep. Someone like Johnny Davis or Bennedict Mathurin or Kendall Brown may surprise and become an all star, but you are looking at like a 25% chance of any of those guys being an all star in the next 4-5 years.

I would be comfortable with an Ivey/Green backcourt..... high upside as shooters from the perimeter, both excellent athletically and Ivey has a very high upside defensively and with a nearly 7'0" wingspan he can always cover the harder defensive assignment.

Milos, jiggyfly and don grahamleone like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Getting a top 10 pick would be very hard without including Green or Sengun. Teams picking top 10 usually are rebuilding for the future and want the drafted player. The Rockets may be able to get in the 11-14 range by including a NETS pick or a younger player other teams may covet.

The Rockets really would need to see someone like Griffin (not likely) or Mathurin or Washington fall into that range and decide they want to swoop in. Maybe they look at Murray as that type of player?

So theoretically the Rockets could pick in the top 3 and end up with Holmgren or Smith or Banchero....... and then watch Washington fall and decide that they want Washington as their future point guard and trade a future Brooklyn pick and another protected #1 for Him......... or another possibility is that the Rockets decide that Chet is a special player, and they take him and decide they don't like the combo of Sengun and Holmgren.... so they move Sengun for a pick in 11-14 and take a guard or forward.

What I can tell you is that I have had two people I know that are in league front offices say that the Rockets have made it clear they will move the NETS picks now if it is for something that they want.... they don't plan on being rebuilding for a really long time, and want to fill multiple holes in each draft if possible (very ambitious for sure).

Deuce and jiggyfly like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I am not as big on Banchero as you, I really have questions about his defense long term. However I agree with you on Smith. He is going to be good, if not very good defensively but he isn't likely to be a player that makes the defensive difference that someone like Holmgren will. If the Rockets end up with Smith I will be very happy, same with Chet.

Don't be shocked if the Rockets take Sharpe if we end up in the 4-6 range of the draft. Sharpe has superstar upside, and that is something that will appeal to the Rockets. The reports on his court vision are good as well so he could play the combo guard role next to Green.... and is even long enough and athletic enough to play some 3 if needed.... he just will take some time to develop.