1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get Christian Wood the Hell outta here ASAP for AMAP!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

Well what else can you do with a development coach?

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Picks can be used to acquire other players. The idea is to build up a war chest of assets that you can use in the future. There is zero reason for us to try to compete this year. We are going to be a lottery team, might as well focus on development and getting the highest pick we possibly can.

John Wall is expiring next year, and although his $47M will be hard to trade (which I actually thought it would be nearly impossible in the past), may actually be useful to use for a team that may look to head in a new direction next year. Think of the Pacers current situation, a few decent players Brogdon/Sabonis/Turner. Pacers are currently looking for picks and potential young players. They may want to shed salary as well. John Wall's contract along with the picks gives us the ability to provide a team like the Pacers what they want, not to mention, the young players we are developing, not all of them are going to stay Rockets, so those guys will also (hopefully) become more valuable in the next couple of seasons.

Our goal should be to continue competing, hire a better coach, and hoard assets while also attempting to evaluate which players will be our future. Currently Green/Alp/Christopher are showing a lot of promise. We aren't going to get a new star to sign here, so it will be best to grow from within and look to poach when the opportunity arises. We can't hold on to players like Wood and Gordon knowing these are not going to get us anywhere in the next couple of years.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is chess, not checkers

it’s like people thinking Presti is really planning on using all these picks to draft a bunch of young players…nah, he’s hoping to build enough of a young core with these high lotto picks and then use the rest of the picks in a trade for a star that can elevate the young core of Shai, Giddey, whoever they’re drafting this year

that should be the Rockets same game plan because this ain’t the Lakers where if you’re mediocre and have cap space plus a few assets, you’ll get the attention of stars

don’t forget how we were getting swiped left by every star out there before we acquired our 1st star in Harden via trade

if 1st round picks are available for Wood, u take it and call it a day

4. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Legalize it.

aaquaa likes this.
  5. vator

vator Contributing Member

Hopefully building that trade value up.

seclusion and Plowman like this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

god i hate watching this man play basketball.

Richie_Rich, aaquaa and Corrosion like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

great now move him.

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, Bo6 and 5 others like this.
  8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Still wants max contract, not in timeline = trade this man as he’s performing like an AS at this moment.

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Just like KPJ, for whatever reason, some just have a grudge against Wood. I'll never understand it. He is keeping us from being all-time bad. I don't know if he'll be apart of our future, but he is very, very good.

abaker28 and RoadWarrior like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think we saw CWood defend Gobert for about 3 possessions last night, the rest of the time it was Tate, Mathews or KPJ defending a 7'1 dude while Wood pranced around on the perimeter.

Richie_Rich, Bo6, aaquaa and 7 others like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Loving posts #329 and #330 back to back. LOL.

aaquaa, clutchdabear and Corrosion like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Do you think it's reasonable to call him out for his all but refusal to defend opposing big men??

What about the high percentage of times he slips screens leaving a ballhandler double teamed ... but he's able to get his?

Or do I have an unreasonable grudge?

B-Bob, aaquaa and xaos like this.
  13. Houston77

Supporting Member

It's fair to criticize any player. It's not fair, however, to pretend that a center who recently has averaged 20 and 10 on a .4 3 point shot doesn't have a major impact on games.

RoadWarrior and Easy like this.
  14. sogood.

sogood. Member

King of empty stats.

Can't defend his own shadow. Dude made Bagley looked like an all-star.

Ship his ass out.

aaquaa and Aruba77 like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

King? I got this

[​IMG]

aaquaa likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

On offense he is pretty good, on D....well......let's just say Christian Woo is an ok player......

DD

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He's not "very, very good". Very, very good is an all-star. He's having a good stretch but let's be real here, he's above average.

17.5ppg 10.2 rbg 48% fg / 36% 3 / 62% ft

On a really bad team. That is extremely replaceable.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

He is an offensive 5 but a maybe defensive 3. Tate is the defacto cover for Wood but Tate is 6'4". I like Tate, but he's not Barkley.

If Tate ends up stealing opposing big, with his thiccness, and when a shot miss, opposing bigs just uses their long arms to snatch the rebound. I cringed a few times last night when KPJ or Garrison had to do wrap around fouls on Rudy. Where was our 6'10 center, Waldo Wood.

Last year there was DJ Wilson or Olynyk. This year, any pairing of a big (Theis/Sengun) with Wood are either bad or off limits.

Silas was Wood's old coach. 2016-2017 hornets. Scrolled through basketball-reference: Steve Clifford head coach, Wood on roster, and Silas, an assistant coach.

Familiarity met with cronyism, Silas does little to hold him accountable. The system is more or less built around Wood, with defensive flaws and all.

If Stone is ready to trade Wood and consults with Silas I've no doubt Silas say, NO, keep him if you can. But being tight with the #1 player on the team is not the main/only way to control a locker room.

#338 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Bo6 and aaquaa like this.
  19. Houston77

Supporting Member

For one, his numbers have been skewed due to our early two-big experiment.

Second, even those deflated numbers are not "easily" replaceable. He's top 5 in scoring, top 5 in 3% percentage, and top 10 in rebounding among centers.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You know it wasn't long ago that I was saying the same things about Wood -

There are only 5 players in the entire league who average 20points10rebounds and 37% from 3.

He's statistically better than AD (offensively) and doesn't play with Lebron's gravity getting him open looks or one on one post opportunities ....

By the offensive statistics, he's all you can ask for in a modern center.

And then you watch him play and realize he is a huge part of why this team is 18 games under .500 at the mid-point of the season.

If he sets a pick 9 times out of 10, he slips it before contact & the ball handler is left with few choices.

He refuses to defend big men. He'd rather leave a Guard defending a 7-footer in the paint. Time and again we see EG, Tate, KPJ, Mathews, Christopher and Brooks defending Vucevic, Myles Turner, Embiid or Gobert on the blocks and in pick and roll situations where those big men are downhill towards the bucket.

This team sucks defensively and that starts with CWood. That's the biggest reason this team is sub .500 .... They are dead last in opponents points per game 2 full points per game worse than the 29th and 4 points worse than the 27th ranked team and finally 8.2 points per game worse than the 15th ranked (middle of the pack) team.
    You watch the rest of this team and they put in effort on defense .... while Wood thinks he's Kevin Durant .... but he's really the empty stat tank commander.

#340 Corrosion, Jan 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    aaquaa, BigMaloe, B-Bob and 6 others like this.