1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

True, Simmons will work out better for Hawks.

Next season though.

I believe they still want to be competitive this season.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Nobody wants to take a contract that long on.

topfive, xiki, peleincubus and 2 others like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Many thought I had an obsession for Mobley too.

4. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

So hawks trade their 2nd best player in Collins, recent #6 pick Okongwu (has shut down Embiid & Giannis recently) & recent #20 pick Johnson + more for a package led by a 33 year old EG and taking on Tobias Harris terrible negative contract? Value looks horrible for Atlanta.

#1484 ball4life66, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Grizzlyshark likes this.
  5. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3078346/202...eration-factor-nba-trade-deadline-roundtable/

Sam Amick: As for sellers, keep an eye on Houston as we get closer to the deadline. There’s lots of chatter about the Rockets being even more open for business than we may have previously thought, with one rival executive indicating that Houston is still on the lookout for a franchise centerpiece-worthy player and thus open to all sorts of possibilities (translation: While Jalen Green is seen as a big part of their future, Harden’s old spot has yet to be truly filled). Christian Wood can be had, it seems, and John highlighted the Charlotte possibility in a piece with our Rockets beat writer, Kelly Iko.

There’s a fitting way to end this discussion here, too, guys: It’s been just 15 months since Morey resigned from the Rockets and Rafael Stone was elevated to the general manager role. The pressure, for him and for so many others this time of year, is quite palpable at the moment.

sirjesse, D-rock, mikol13 and 3 others like this.
  7. HeyBudLetsParty

cool but who’s the young franchise centerpiece on the market. Maybe Fox, can’t think of any team willing to part with a great player younger than Wood

topfive and xaos like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

9. Landry's Tooth

Crazy thought but i might do this...

To Lakers
    Eric Gordon
    Daniel Theiss
    DJ Augustin
    David Nwaba
    Usman Garuba

To Rockets
    Russell Westbrook
    Austin Reaves
    Unprotected 2026 #1 pick

Here me out...

Westbrook gets the Wall treatment and is put on ice the rest of the year. He plays good soldier and does a buyout in offseason or sooner.

Rockets save 2 years of Theis, 1 year of Nwaba, and 2 years of Garupa guaranteed money. This frees up more cap space for us after next season.

We then free up minutes and roster spots for younger players... Reaves is popular right now... he's their Gary Bird... worth a look in my opinion...

This deal gives the Lakers defense and shooting which is what they lost in the offseason...

Then by the time we're in good shape in 2026, here comes that unprotected pick from a rebuilding Lakers team.... would be like when the Warriors had the 2nd pick from Minnesota and wasted it on Wiseman...

Still leaves us with:
    Porter
    Green
    Mathews
    Tate
    Martin
    Wood
    Sengun
    Christopher
    Reaves

I would feel differently if Westbrook was going to step on the court... he's just a contract at this point... perhaps he takes 10% to 20% less on a buyout to have his choice to where he goes before the playoffs start?

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I always like out of the box thinking but my God how funny would it be to have the two worst contracts in the NBA on the same team? Would be interesting to see what you could do with those expirings or all that cap space when they do expire.

11. Landry's Tooth

Easiest out for any team needing to unload a star without taking on salary...

If another Anthony Davis situation happens the rockets have picks and expiring to make something happen...

They have that already... i like that lakers unprotected pick in 4 years... could be a nice pick right when we're good again and have limited cap space to add a star...

12. Landry's Tooth

Btw, the dream would be Baron Davis for Kyrie Irving...

Take advantage of the Lakers desperation to win now and clean up during their rebuild...

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

This trade is terrible. We just took Usman with a first round pick and Gordon can probably get another first on his own. Theis is a contract that shouldn't be too hard to trade. There is absolutely no way the Rockets should do this for a 26 first when AD will only be 32 and the Lakers will likely still be a playoff team at minimum with the players that can attract to play with him. I don't think I'd trade Garuba straight up for the Lakers 26 pick.

#1493 gmoney411, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You're either a Westbrook superfan or you really hate this franchise.

mikenm268, mikol13, jchu14 and 2 others like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

One guy I think we should consider targeting that we know is available in trade talks right now is John Collins. Why?

he is the prototype 4 in today’s nba. Yes he makes the max and yes he sounds disgruntled, but he’s a 20/10 6’9” PF who shoots the 3pt at 39% career (over 40% this year). He’s a good rebounder but can also pair well with a guy like Sengun because he can space the floor. He’s also only 24.

If the rockets are planning to shake things up, they should go after Collins. He would be a legit young franchise piece.

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

What do people think about this:

Rockets: De'Aron Fox, Troy Brown Jr.
    Kings: Christian Wood, KPJ, KJ Martin, Derrick Jones Jr, Milwaukee 1st from us, Bulls send protected 1st
    Bulls: Eric Gordon

If the Rockets are going for a "big piece," this is it. For the Kings, you'd make this alongside another trade to move Bagley for picks (or maybe trade him in the offseason) and plan your future with Halliburton and Mitchell as the cornerstones. They get Wood, KPJ, KJ Martin as a young player, two firsts, and an expiring contract in Derrick Jones Jr.

My guess is the Kings are open to trading Fox, but only for a player like Simmons, so they probably wouldn't go for this unless they're looking to rebuild, in which case this is a decent return.

17. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Houston In: Tobias Harris, Marvin Bagley, Future Sacramento 1st Rounder

Philadelphia In: De'Aaron Fox, Buddy Hield, Eric Gordon and Usman Garuba

Sacramento In: John Wall and Ben Simmons

Houston takes on Tobias Harris's contract in exchange to get rid of John Wall and picking up Sacramento's future first

Philadelphia retools and adds some really good players around Embiid and they get rid of Harris's contract

Sacramento gets their franchise piece in Ben Simmons for a pick and taking on John Wall's contract. (I know this is a stretch for Sacramento but you never know)

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know circumstance has a big impact on winning. And i know we all just saw Fox play pretty decent against the Rockets.
    But the Rockets defense sucks.
    And Fox can't play.
    Or defend.

Hard pass from me.

I'm not saying Stone has to be DM like and hold out on solid Simmons trade thinking he's going to get back Giannis or some ****. We have to be realistic. But at the same time, great players or TRULY interesting up and coming players come on the market every so often, and i'm not using assets to get Fox given that opportunity cost.

D-rock likes this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Kings-Rockets-76ers Trade

Kings: Wood, Simmons, Thybulle, Harris and Brooks

76ers: Gordon, Heild, Halliburton,

Rockets: Fox and Bagley

Houston and Sac should give up draft pick or two but this should work

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Fox is a very good player and he is from Houston. He is just having a off year he can come on strong later this year. I would trade for Fox if we can, we cannot be picky because we really do not have much talent