1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I find it odd tbh that Kobe is so much mentioned after his heli crash and funeral, it is gotten to the point of being uncanny.

I would let the man rest for a while.

DreamShook likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. xaos

xaos Member

Bust

[/sarcasm]

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There was a time when a group on this forum used that word with 100% seriousness two games into the season.

5. xaos

xaos Member

Yup which is just silly

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I always found it weird that every basketball accomplishment since Kobe's death has been somehow Kobe's doing.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True. The Demise was very Lady Diana Spencer like.

The Game also passed him by, he was a career 32.9% very below average shooter from downtown.

He was the greatest last chucker, a great player but I doubt he would be known for his efficiency, Jalen is already better.

He was the Anti Christ in terms of shooting, the Anti Splash brother.

But Kobe's stamina, tenacity and willingness to play through gruesome injuries, that is unrivalled.

#1787 daywalker02, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

First 15 games were very bad and I was worried, but since he's come back from injury he's played so much better and has showed consistent flashes to where I am no longer worried about Green. I have a feeling that he will easily develop into a solid 20 PPG scorer, which means he's not a bust. Here are my predictions for him now

20 PPG scorer - 90% of getting there
    25 PPG scorer - 60% chance
    30 PPG scorer - 25% chance

For a #2 draft pick that is a good pick. Of course he might never be as good as Mobley but nothing you can do about it now. I'm happy with the selection.

roslolian, DaDakota and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Kobe was a good player not denying it. But on the court he was always someone I rooted against. Especially them games when Rockets played against Lakers. I get that when people make the comp of Green to Kobe is supposed to be a compliment, but for me (personally), it's like a negative association.

If I start making comp of Sengun to Karl Malone's accomplishments, the goonies will throw tomatoes at me. :D

10. dmoneybangbang

Jalen Green just admired and looked up to Kobe. That's pretty much where the relationship and comparison starts and ends.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

Kobe has the mid-ranger, in the modern 3 ball era, Green has a higher chance of being a better 3 ball shooter than Kobe.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh. He's also a shooting guard. Similar height and bounce coming into the league. A lot of the comparison comes from both having a fluidity in their movements that I can't really explain with text.

But what makes Kobe "Kobe" was his pathological work ethic. Kobe came into the league as a mid first round pick. If he didn't have that pathological work ethic then he would have the career of a mid first round pick.

Hence why I think a lot of people are triggered when someone compares Green to teenage Kobe. They are thinking of prime Kobe in their heads which is an all time great rather than teenage Kobe who without the hindsight of knowing his insane work ethic would be projected to be a mere top 10-15 player in the league rather than a perennial top 5 player.

So with a 19 year old rookie, it's really impossible to tell where they will eventually be because that is going to be determined by work ethic. From all things we've heard about Green so far, there have been zero concerns about that. We just don't know if his work ethic will reach psychotic levels.

Kobe without that psychotic work ethic is Andrew Wiggens. Jalen Green can be Andrew Wiggens or he can be greater or he can have set backs and injuries and be worse than Wiggens. It's just so damn early to know.

#1792 fchowd0311, Jan 19, 2022
    roslolian and xaos like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

This is why I'm optimistic and those numbers are in spite of the officiating changes that favors more physical play. Like I said earlier, Jalen is going to have to develop his game based around his burst/first step. Hopefully he will incrementally learn how to finish closer to the rim through a combination of skill and greater strength while developing passing ability out of the drive.

#1793 dmoneybangbang, Jan 19, 2022
    roslolian, xaos and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. conquistador#11

You guys are missing the point. It's that y'all won't allow a player to even have 41 games under him let alone the NBA experience of a season or two for a 19 year old to adapt to the league. Some players like Durant come in scoring 20 a game (on 17 shots) others take some seasoning to become what they will be.
    Wade 16 pts at age 22 . He gained 12 pounds from age 20 to draft night.

roslolian likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Would be nice if we didn't treat him like the 4th option half the time

slothy420 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dear GOD - maybe he should move and cut and go get the ball - nah, easier to blame everyone else.

DD

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

corey brewer lmao

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If it is fair to compare him to Kobe it is fair to compare him to Brewer.

Neither should be..but whatever.

DD

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I mean, to be fair, this offensive system really don't favor non-ball dominant guards. The James Harden and Luka Doncic of the world can run this offense because they're both a creator and a scorer. Tack on the fact that Porter's ability to be both a creator and a scorer appears to be one or three levels lower than Harden and Doncic it would be hard for Green (or anyone on the team) to score. This is not accounting for the pisspoor screens that our starting big man gives every night. Sounds like excuses but those are all true statements.

roslolian and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's fair to compare him to Kobe as Kobe didn't really come out of the gates like a super star, he wasn't Lebron, Hakeem or MJ who immediately lit the world on fire day 1. It took a couple of seasons for his superstardom to shine, stat wise 19 yr old Kobe and Green are very similar and comparable.

It's not fair to compare him to Corey Brewer because Brewer entred the league at age 21 and proceeded to average 5 ppg for the whole season. Even if you cryogenically froze Green now and only thawed him out 2 yrs later he would still be better than rookie Corey Brewer that's why the comparison makes zero sense.