1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn’t Jalen Green running the offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 15, 2022.

?

Is Silas a good coach?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2022.
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

He is a quick learner.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It would be like KPJ at the beginning of the year - KPJ has made big strides, but still has one or 2 too many....Green would be in the same boat and his FG% would dip as he takes on extra responsibilities....when to shoot, when to pass, etc..etc..etc...

He is doing fine where he is....as is KPJ for this year.

DD

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I want Jalen to run more of the offense. he is a rookie so of course he is raw, but he has definitely shown glimpses of competency running the show. Jalen already is naturally unselfish (unlike KPJ). Against the Kings, Green had 4 really good assists in the PnR to KPJ(x2), KJ and Tate. KPJ got 2 easy 3's off his passes.

Some of the TO's were bad, I really dont like to blame the squad for TO's, but some of Jalen's other TO's were just because Wood was in the way when not setting a screen.

Silas just has to put Jalen in a position to succeed. He won't.. I'm just saying.

#103 DreamShook, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    cheke64, Joe Rocket and xaos like this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I hate the idea that they arent about giving him a chance but KPJ gets the keys. Why did they decide that.

cheke64 likes this.
  5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't see why Green running combo guard would affect his FG%. Whether he runs the point position well is another question entirely but there has historically never been much known correlation between running point guard duties and FG%.

That seems like a bit of a roundabout way to justify KPJ's poor shooting.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jalen needs to run the point. He's an automatic blow-by machine.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Personally I dont even know why Green is tasked with running the offense.

All his life Green has been billed as a Kobe-Zach Lavine. If rookie Kobe was asked to play the point and create for everyone he would prob struggle even more than Green has this year. He is a scorer not a facilitator, the Rox should play Trevelin Queen/Nix or get some other pg to run the point. The point has been run by Green, KPJ, EG none of whom are actual playmakers and fscilitators.

It just makes it harder for a rookie to focus on both creation and scoring, he cant really focus on sciring buckets when he has to look out for the whole team. Plus, sciring is harder to since instead of getting set up he has to set people up.

D-rock, Verbal Christ and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What ever gets Jalen the ball more I'm fine with. If Jalen is having a good game it's in spite of Silas's coaching, Wood and his lack of screens, and KPJ as a PG.. There is nothing in the offense that makes stuff easier for Green.

Verbal Christ, cheke64 and roslolian like this.
  9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I really hate when someone tries to label a rookie even worse try to say Kobe would struggle being a play maker. That is a ridiculous statement. Just because he didnt average a lot of assists doesnt mean he couldnt if he wanted to. He played in a different time. I just dont understand the takes on the board sometimes and people like you are almost always wrong about these things. Houston doesnt deserve rookies with potential. Not only the coach but the FO and fans have no idea what to do with them. This rebuild is gonna suck just because we dont respect our rookies.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Probably someone that realized KPJ is up for an extension this off-season. They need to figure out what they have in KPJ sooner rather than later. They have plenty of time left to figure out Green.

jiggyfly, Plowman, Dobbizzle and 2 others like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rookie Kobe got 15 mins of pt he barely got on the court as a scorer how is he gonna flourish as a playmaker?

Kobe could get more assists if he wanted to but he didnt, thats the bottom line. Even when his usage rate was sky high and he had Derek Fisher as his pg Kobe didnt playmake a lot so I dunno what pint you are trying to make.

jiggyfly, Dobbizzle and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Being on a bad team with bad coaching with beyond mediocre GM decisions, that is not going to make it easy for Anyone!

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Jalen Green shouldn’t run the whole offense - but there should be more plays for him. He is elite at getting by his defender - even without a screen. So give him 10 PnRs per game. He needs to work on finishing through contact and he needs to work on passing to the open man once the help defense collapses on him.

There also needs to be more plays for him moving without the ball.

our main objective eighth now should be to improve our rookies. Right now we are not really helping them. green just stands in the corner, Sengun gets really limited minutes…

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd prefer to use Jalen in the Reggie Miller type of offense. Movement and open shots. Ability to get to the hoop from constant picks and rubs. Silas has little bro in the corner of close games just watching the game - waiting for passes that never come. Im not too sure having the ball in his hands 24/7 as a point is a good thing for his skill set. He needs to tighten up his handle and his vision isnt on par with NBA level PG play (obviously since he's never played PG).

Change of pace type of sets with Jalen initiating is cool. Let him run and get open in space. Catch lobs. Coast to coast. Shoot those 3's when he's feeling it. Having to keep the others involved would take away from his best as a player IMO. If Scooter isnt cut out to be the point for this team, then you slide him to 3 and find yourself a true point guard instead of trying to convert guys.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We need Daniel Theis to run the offense more.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Why arent you sugguesting the other young star guard mathews to run the offense instead. Surely someone u labeled young star deserves a shot

#116 DatRocketFan, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

All this running the team stuff is nonsense. The Rockets are best when running in transition. They need to be a fast break team ahead of all else. Unfortunately, you have to have missed buckets by the opposing teams to run. As long as Wood is our “rim protector” we are screwed. In the half-court we are currently an iso team. Sometimes its KPJ, sometimes Green, and sometimes Gordan, Wood, or Tate. It doesn’t really matter who is running the team in the half-court if you don’t have anyone that can set picks and actually roll with purpose to the rim.

PG and who gets the touches is not the problem with this team. The problem is a stagnant offense put in place by a crap head coach and a twiggy center who won’t play defense or set picks.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

While Lord knows I agree 100% regarding Silas & Wood, who both need to be gone when you get serious about winning, I think a lead guard with a brain would do wonders for the whole team. He doesn’t have to be a old school pure point, but a guy who can make the offense more efficient. A lot of the times our offense looks like summer AAU ball.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is basic human nature.

There are tons of cases of people in jobs just getting a lot more work dumped on them and it effecting other areas of their performance......but I guess Jalen is a Robot and not human so it won't effect him...good call.

;)

DD

#119 DaDakota, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Alperen Sengun?