1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Fired Culley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 5, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My point was you don't know how much Caserio was in the headset, and the point has never been if Culley is a good coach.

Do you think it's a good idea that the GM is communicating with the head coach at all during a game?

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So wait, you think the reset is done?

If Caserio thinks the reset is done, you have much bigger problems than Culley.

Just reread your last sentence, you actually think you are on the other side of the bridge.

Wow just wow, it's amazing the delusions of some fans.

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

You disagreed with what you thought my point was and then completely changed the discussion. All I said was that the notion that Caserio being on the headset prevented us from evaluating Culley was false.

As for the GM discussing with the head coach during a game; I'm not an NFL head coach, so I would differ to the head coach and say its a personal case by case choice. If you have someone qualified in your ear giving advice that you appreciate then it's good, if you think that guy's an idiot then the answer is probably no.

As much as we say GM's shouldn't be on the headset, we have to understand, that in New England, Caserio was participating in practices and involved in game prep. So him offering advice during the game made some sense. Is it a normal situation, not at all, but I don't know if we can say 100% it's the wrong call either.

4. primtim24

The bridge I'm referring to isn't the bridge between trash and a super bowl. The bridge I'm referring to is being locked in with no QB, no salary cap, and no draft capital, to having at least a workable QB, Plenty of cap space, and draft capital. If this were Madden, this would be the season everybody would be looking forward to. The season that gives us all the options.

5. primtim24

Please explain to me how, short of trading Deshaun, we could've possibly been any further a long in our rebuild than we are right now? If you didn't like them hiring Culley fine, but to rip on the hire then fire because we didn't win a super bowl proves you just want to be mad.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U do know what coaching changes entail right? By hiring the wrong incompetent coach in the first place, now we have to clean house and start over again. Relearn the offense/defense, power hierarchy. It's not simple as plug in a new coach and we good to go. We literally wasted a year for nothing and our situation is no better.

By failing on purpose u deny any possible chance of succeeding and upper management has the gall to spin bullsht for incompetence.

Oh and don't forget chemistry.

#646 DatRocketFan, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    jiggyfly and charlieaustin like this.
  7. Major

Major Member

So you think a coach who's looking to build a career would pass up on one of 32 HC opportunities because the first year was known to suck? Nothing that happened this last year wouldn't have been true if Coach X had taken the job last year instead of this year. Except that coach would have have an extra year to develop his players, have input into the players he was getting, etc. It's not like this past season was some kind of miracle that changed the direction of the franchise and made the team way more appealing. They still don't have any certainty with Watson. They still don't know if they have a QB or not (sorry, a 3rd round Mills is not known to be the QB of the future). They still are void of any talent. At the time of last year's hiring, you'd have hoped Watson would have been traded before that draft and you'd have had your pick of what was universally considered a deep QB class then, so the coach could have started with an elite talent at the most important position (whether they kept Watson or not). Now, they have total uncertainty at that position and might have to reset again in a year or two.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

No sense of direction, no clear plan. All i know is we are on another most likely doomed attempt to b patriots of the South w/ davis mills as our starter.

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The 2021 draft gives us a glimpse of his talent evaluation, and the early returns are promising with less draft compensation than any other team.

raining threes likes this.
  10. raining threes

Care to explain how you know this?

Or is this just your opinion?

Personally I dont know the man. But I do know that he runs a great offense and is a great QB coach. He's also a very good play caller. Yep, dont need a guy like that down on Kirby.

11. raining threes

He hired a 65 year old guy as a placeholder for a couple of years while he assembled talent. The guy he wanted became available so Caserio moved on and is going to hire his long term guy. This happens in the corporate world all of the time. You make do until you can hire who you really want to hire. This is really pretty easy to understand.

12. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I didn't realize the Texans already hired someone. Who is it? Inquiring minds want to know.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. raining threes

After seeing Caserio's 1st draft, I'm liking his player evalutions and look forward to seeing what he can do with 4 picks in the top 80 and 5 picks in the top 115. Much better than having your top pick at #67. I've got a feeling that there's going to be some real talent added to this roster.

Nook likes this.
  14. raining threes

Yes, I believe he is.

The question is why?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. raining threes

This is the 1st I've heard of Easterby having a headset. Where did you hear this, or are you just making things up? This has been explained and it happens in the corporate world regularly.

16. raining threes

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Is going to hire his guy, doesn't mean he's hired his guy. I would think you would know the difference. Apparently not.

17. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

How do you know this? Who is the guy?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are just making up your bridge as you move along, got it.

So answer me this, what has changed on this team that it is time to hire the coach that is the future, and why could they not have hired them last year?

Your QB situation is not much different than last and what did hiring a coach for one do for your draft capital?

Whast options do you have this that you did not last year and why would that impact the coach you hired?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you like so much about his 1st draft?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Easterby was on the sideline beside him I never said he had a headset.

How deep in delusion can you be, arguing if he had headset or not, you probably think Easterby is a vital asset in the rebuild.

What the hell does the corporate world have to do with anything?

Just because you tell yourself something, so it makes sense to you, does not mean it's a good thing.

charlieaustin likes this.