1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the best Eric Gordon trade proposal you can come up with?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. We need a big that can anchor the defense and can be competent in switching whenever necessary. I rather pay (even overpay) for a defensive big at this point than to pay/overpay for Wood.

raining threes, Deckard and Dobbizzle like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

As much as I believe Turner is the ideal
    center in today's NBA. I would prefer only
    giving up one first round pick.

Turner offers defense, scoring, experience, mobile, versatility. I expect Eric Gordon
    to bring in one first and offers the same as
    Turner....exception is Eric is shorter and older.

Contract control of Turner not being long enough.
    At least with Nets Harden was joining a team
    ready made to win now. Rockets with Turner are
    not.

burlesk likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. steddinotayto

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Turner injured.

D-rock, Nook, Dobbizzle and 1 other person like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I would need to see the construct of the deal
    with Pacers getting back two first round picks.

Is John Wall going out to a team?

7. steddinotayto

If you're referring to my scenario it would be the 2023 pick we got from the Bucks and the incoming pick from Cleveland in a hypothetical Gordon for Rubio/1st trade. Both are low end 1sts if we're looking at the standings right now and where the Bucks and Cavs are.

As for Wall, he's the immovable object right now.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is case in point why EG needs to be sat down immediately. The Kings game made the point, and if they aren't sold on him yet they'll never be. Wood should be sat too, but I think Wood would not take well to that. Especially if a trade did not work out and he had to suit back up after the break.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Turner OUT PAST the trade deadline

Deckard, D-rock and Nook like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t want any of LA’s crap players or 2nd round picks. These proposals, while enticing to those LA teams, aren’t very good for Houston.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Turner is a much better basketball player than Wood. Frankly if his attitude was better there’d be more nba teams falling over themselves to get him. With the injury now, who knows what his market is, but he’s an excellent player on both sides of the ball; twice as good as Wood.

i dont think 26 is too far outside our rebuilding timeline but there’s really no mutual benefit to trading for Turner. He’d likely bolt in free agency anyway given that we suck.

#311 Aruba77, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    burlesk and theDude like this.
  12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I wish to draw your attention to the fact that the Rockets are looking for players in a trade
    who will fit in the rebuilding of the team, that match the age requirement of the team,
    They do not need to swap older players for old players.

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Turner is literally always hurt. No thanks. Stay as far away as possible

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think he's only being brought up because him being out of the picture for trades means there's less supply of solid players available for a contender to trade for. Namely Wood, but I guess a contender could be just as willing to trade for EG with their assets and dead weight contracts than they would Turner given multiple needs on the court.

D-rock likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Are the Pacers just giving up on the season and more importantly given up on the current roster?

I keep seeing Myles Turner in trade after trade ..... Why does Indiana move Turner at all or instead of some others?

I don't know that Turner's more valuable an asset than Wood but if he is, he's not Wood plus TWO #1's IMO.

I like the idea of getting rid of Wood but not sold swapping him and picks for Turner is the way to go.

It's a 50-50 proposition that we land in the top 3 of the draft and should that happen we'll likely pick one of Smith / Holmgren / Banchero. In that scenario we have no use for Turner and gave away two #1's plus Wood who is a quality asset to get him here.

I'd rather collect assets in exchange for Wood & EG ....

I'd do Rubio & a #1 for EG and immediately cut Rubio to create a roster spot.

I'd send Wood just about anywhere I could make salary work for a #1.

If those picks fell in this draft, I'd be looking to either move up with them OR push them into later years.

17. steddinotayto

I'm not trying to be rude but Indy's had Turner, Sabonis, Brogdon...pretty much their entire team in the trade rumor mill for most of the season so to answer your question, yea, they're "giving up" or retooling their roster that's underperforming. As to why Turner keeps getting mentioned, for me it's because 1. he's available 2. he's a very good defender and 3. he fits in better (defense, low maintenance in that he's not looking for his own numbers like Christian) with the two rookies we're trying to rebuild with.

My hypothetical trade is dealing picks that are both low end and don't really impact the picks that matter (e.g. our own and the future Brooklyn picks). The Bucks' 2023 pick, as it stands right now, should be in the late 20s unless something catastrophic happens between now and then. The incoming pick from a hypothetical Gordon for Rubio/1st swap would be in the 20s as it stands right now with Cleveland near the top of the East. That's not a lot to give up when you're getting a very good player in return. Of course things changed since my post as Turner has a foot injury but the reasoning this morning wasn't egregious.

As for how Turner impacts our draft selection, I don't see how it would considering he brings to the table what Banchero and Smith (elite shot blocking) would not and if there's a Turner/Holmgren/Sengun clog in the front court...I mean is that really a bad problem to have?

burlesk and Corrosion like this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I would want to pare Wood with Turner. Cleveland has multiple bigs and I think moving forward with Wood, Turner and Sengun is solid.

Wood has shown he can defend the parameter, Turner can defend the paint, as well as Sengun.

19. steddinotayto

I can see that though being a big Sengun fan I can't see him being on the bench beyond this season. Also, both Turner and Wood are set for a new contract and I doubt Tilman will want to pay for both.

raining threes and Corrosion like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe Pacers should be the team to give up FRP + Turner for Wood now?

And a strong defensive team like Raptors should value a 5 like Wood.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.