1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cy-Fair ISD Trustee Racially Divisive Statements (A Deserves Own Thread Thread)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wtf is A.D.O.T.T??

@Os Trigonum, some compliance is in order!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The report says in general terms the district needs more black teachers because white teachers make it harder for blacks.

As a white teacher do you need to lose your job so black kids who get in trouble can perform better in your district?

#23 pgabriel, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You don't understand... the parents and the school district have the most power. Teachers have none. So, teachers can be blamed for short comings on all sides. That's all. Not something new. This has been happening for a long time.

Blaming teachers has saved many a failing school admin career and preserved the pride of shitty parents all across the world.

peleincubus likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Firing and replacing teachers was never part of anyone's plan. That wasn't suggested. That wasn't implied.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Do you think you should be eliminated as a candidate for a job because kids who get in trouble aren't comfortable with you?

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ah, refreshing to see "Stop playing the race card" @pgabriel playing the race card.

What did guy say was indeed racist. Using correlation to suggest that a teacher's skin color affects drop out rate and making an implicit case for not hiring black teachers is racist - plain and simple.

He shouldn't be on the board of a school district, but I do think it's unfortunate he lost his job. I'm in favor of giving a people a chance to understand why their position and thinking is racist because many times people don't realize they are in fact being racist. I think that's the case here.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There are no limits to what liberals are comfortable to not put any responsibility on black families helping their kids improve in education.

We need more black teachers just for comfort? That is ridiculous. A kid not being comfortable because you are different is not a disqualification for a job.

That's racism. I'm not anti affirmative action. The goal of affirmative action is to make up for historical wrongs.

A business can't discriminate against a race because it's customers are . It's the same thing

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's so ****in stupid when someone says you're playing the race cad when the entire issue is race.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Sweet Lou 4 2

So it's wrong for him to say that about black teachers but you're okay with the audit saying white teachers cause poor performance by being white? That is what he is challenging

Kids don't get a pass on responsibility because they are uncomfortable with someone's race.

If white kids were uncomfortable with black teachers it's okay to hire less black teachers?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can see the interpretation that he was saying if you get more black teachers, like HISD has, you'd get higher dropout rates, like HISD has. Or, I can see him trying to push back against an argument that more black teachers will reduce dropout rates given that they outperform HISD without having many black teachers.

If I can him the benefit of the doubt and understand it to be the latter, it's still a specious and dumb argument. It doesn't acknowledge that HISD has a different demographic profile and educates a large poor population and confronts urban problems that the folks of Cy Fair are somewhat insulated from. It's too simplistic to try to make a direct comparison of % of black teachers in the two districts. That's not nearly enough data to know anything. It is so dumb that I think it's probably willfully dumb - Henry doesn't want to accept the equity argument and will latch onto any counter-argument.

Consulting doesn't have accreditation. But the dude running that company (which is probably a one-man show) is a professor of education at Kentucky State. He's not a bum off the street.

Which speaks to the larger point of the anti-intellectualism of Henry's position. He won't accept expertise.

red, fchowd0311 and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is racist. The question is whether or not he realizes it is racist. You can say it's dumb, but let's be honest here - trying to connect a higher drop out rate to black teachers is certainly racist.

His argument is disingenuous at best. District A with a 4% dropout rate has more black teachers compared to District B with a 2% dropout rate and less black teachers. Therefore black teachers cause students to drop out. But just as you stated, we all know that the problem here is that District A and District B are not the same in terms of socioeconomics which is far more likely to account for the difference.

So you can conclude he is either utterly stupid and incompetent at analysis which is dangerous for a person in position of power, or that he is racist. He is either stupid or racist. Which is worse? Either should disqualify him despite @pgabriel trying to comprehend what's wrong with what he said.

subtomic, jiggyfly and Squirtle like this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Question is too simplistic and misunderstands the point. The point isn't that kids are too uncomfortable at least in its entirety. The problem is that there are differences in the way teachers might approach the students. By the way, it is good for students that are white and any other race to experience learning from diversified teachers as well. Everybody wins and nobody loses. However that's not always the case when there are so many teachers of the majority race. That doesn't mean that unqualified teachers should be hired. It means that we should encourage more minorities to go into education.

For an imaginary instance, in a second grade classroom 2 of the students happen to be a white a girl and a black boy. One day in class the students are assigned a project that elicits groans. With all of the wisdom that many second graders have, they don't understand why they have to do this more complex assignment in the beginning. The white girl asks why do they have to do the assignment? How will it help them in the future, in the real world, and what does it have to do with the things they've been learning?

The well-intentioned white teacher might explain that there are state standards and explain how this learning covers those standards, will help them with the state testing, and elaborate on the many real world applications in a way that makes sense. In the back of the teacher's mind, she makes a mental note to keep an eye on that girl... She's inquisitive, cares enough about her studies to ask relevant questions, and doesn't just follow along blindly. That girl may have future leadership capabilities.

The black student might ask Why do they have to do this assignment? The well-intentioned white teacher might explain that there are state standards and explain how this learning covers those standards, will help them with the state testing, and elaborate on the many real world applications in a way that makes sense.

So far so good. The teacher handled both situations the exact same way. But in the back of the white teacher's mind she thinks... "That poor child probably comes from a disadvantaged home, hasn't been taught the proper way to show respect. It's sad that he was so disrespectful to question out loud the assignment that I gave. It was totally brazen. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the student. He is definitely a potential trouble maker. Hopefully I can do something to help. Maybe that other young girl student that has such great leadership potential will help find ways to erase the achievement gap, and this student will end up teaching his children to have more respect than he's been taught. Just the same, I'll make sure and let other teachers and administration know to keep an eye out on this kid as a potential trouble maker.

The black student has no idea that's what the teacher thought. But all of a sudden the girl is given more leadership opportunities, directed toward student council. He is placed under a microscope and can feel it, but he isn't sure what he's done.

A black teacher is less likely to make those kinds of judgments which have long term lasting effects on students. It won't be all black teachers for every single classroom, and it shouldn't be.

Teaching about these things can help teachers of other races learn their hidden and subtle biases. The well-intentioned white teacher wouldn't be called racist. She only had the best desire for a good outcome. But there is subtle bias ingrained in her thought process. Teachers of all races should be taught how to be aware of these possible biases and many aren't.

subtomic and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

GOT EM.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Your long scenario is ridiculous. waste of my time to say white people are probably racist and we should assume that in every job

**** your imaginary teacher. Would you a white teacher assume that the Black kid?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So it's okay for the audit to say white teachers are harmful to black students?

And take note, I never defended what the guy said. Go and back read the op and with your comprehension skills this time which for some reason you selectively suspend, and see why I said the media treatment was unfair.

TIA

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is what he does at Eastern Kentucky University, Director of Faculty Diversity And Development

That just sounds like the company. It's not a class it's a position.

These are the classes he teaches.,Conditions of Learning, Field Experience Elective, Appalachian Issues In Multiculturalism

That gives no context if his "expertise"

No one in this forum knew anything of this subject. Multiculturalism in education institutions faculty and why it's an issue

I would assume most posters assume academia is one area that doesn't need much help in diversity training. Most people assume teachers don't have the time to discriminate. They are standing in front of 30 kids saying the same thing to all 30 kids

Some kids approach teachers for help. That maybe where some bias can seep in.

This guy is critical of white teachers' equity in handing out suspensions.

More black people getting unfair sentences. It starts in childhood I guess but no one is gonna address that the issue is dealing with problem kids

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You apparently didn't read or understand anything I posted. You can look at some of the academic approaches including the studies and things cited for it.

http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/implicit-bias-training/

I understand these are long and involved. One thing I will point out is that teachers that make the mistakes in the scenario I presented are culturally disconnected. It isn't that they mean to be doing the wrong thing. It's that they don't always understand the subtleties in the way students from different cultures communicate.

Just checking out any of these might help your misconceptions.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's a simple ass question. Do YOU, franchise blade, treat black students differently?

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I do my best to provide an equitable education to all of my students. I work hard to try and ensure that.