1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets @TANKATHON - 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Holmgren can play the 4 or 5, but I believe he will be a 5 unless he goes to a team with an existing 5. His value is higher as 5 IMO.

As far as his ability to guard on the perimeter, I think he is a very good perimeter defender for the 5 spot. There are very few 5's that can do a better job. He can be beaten by quick guards, but so can everyone else. He also is very good at recovering when he is beaten. He isn't Draymond Green, in that he isn't going to be able to just flat out guard a guard from one side of the court to the other for possessions at a time - but if he is switched, he handles guards well. He also is a legitimate big, and not a player playing the spot in a small line up.

It will be interesting to see what happens but I think he has a very good chance to be one of the 5 most important defenders in the NBA from a team perspective because he impacts that side of the ball in so many ways... his length (7'5" wingspan), his ability to call out screens and get around them, his ability to block shots at an elite level, his ability to come over and switch inside and outside, his ability to read the offense and anticipate, his hustle.

BallaDoc, jcmoon, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Let's hope so. There are some teams that will be gutted and try to get a high lottery pick.

Honestly we just need one of the top 4 picks and we will be in good shape..... Smith/Holmgren/Banchero/Griffin/Ivey all have very high upside and should start immediately for the Rockets.

BallaDoc, jcmoon, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  3. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

From your analysis I don’t want us becoming the Houston Jazz (dominant defensive Center, scoring SG, scrubs elsewhere)

daywalker02, saleem and BigShasta like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone who is crying about Silas and how bad we are playing forget that this team is 5 wins away from potentially not even getting a top 10 pick in the draft.

There are so may teams within 2-4 games in wins from the Rockets. Orlando seems secure as having the worst record. Detroit seems in good position for a top 3 pick. The Rockets have a lot of pressure to lose in order to secure a top 5 pick, and hopefully top 4.

As ugly as it is to lose to teams like Sactown by many points, those are the games we need to lose to get that top pick. With less than 40 games less, I don't see a lot of value in learning how to win for these guys vs getting a great talent to go along with what we have.

cheke64, jcmoon, withmustard and 10 others like this.
  5. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

This I have a fear, This team is going to play itself out of a Top 5 Pick(hope for a Top 2 at least if the team can't get the number 1 pick).

jcmoon likes this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not gonna happen. Chill, the vets will get dealt, and we'll sink like a lead balloon.

7. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

Anyone else excited about tankathon 2023? Scoot Henderson might be the best prospect in the world, even over jabari, chet and Paulo right now. I am so so glad that the Rockets own their 2023 pick

BallaDoc and jcmoon like this.
  8. clos4life

clos4life Member

You can want the team to lose and yet still recognize Silas is an awful coach. That being said, I agree with everything else.

Little Bit likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Your two best players are stat stuffing so they can get traded off the team ASAP
    2. The rest of your team consists of journey men, rethreads, and 19 year old rookies outside of Tate, probably your third best player right now.
    3. The brass want you to lose to get a better pick, and they force you to make specific rotation decisions

Maybe he is an awful coach, but how do you tell given all he has to deal with?

#109 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Corrosion and jcmoon like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

How would you rank these 5 players?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Holmgren is an aesthetically unpleasant dude but if he ever develops a game on Offense he is no Rudy Gobert.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

That would belong to Victor Wembanyama.

13. Vivid

Vivid Member

You forget the key ingredient, which is Sengun! A playmaking offensive minded PF matched with a versatile defensive C makes for a fantastic young frontcourt pairing. Taking the playmaking load off of our guards, this will allow KPJ and Jalen to do what they do well, which is be aggressive and score/make the one-read plays (drive and dish to corner 3). We won't have a traditional point, but will have a lineup with some playmakers and multiple scoring threats. I can see Christopher taking over Gordon's spot. I also like Holmgren's ability to make up for the gambling defensive nature of our guards, which have been funneling drives to an almost welcoming Wood.

KPJ
    Green
    Christopher
    Sengun
    Holmgren

14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I rather get Victor Wembanyama

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

Nah, we getting top 3 guaranteed

16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I am giving up hope the team has to much talent to get a Top 3 pick this year going to fall out the Top 3 might end up with a top 10 pick.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

We need to start trading away our vets, starting with Gordon who is winning us too many games. The worst thing that can happen is to start winning games now and get a lottery pick outside the top 3-5.

Little Bit, KingSamJack and J.R. like this.
  18. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Holmgrwn has much higher offensive potential than Gobert. He hasn’t displayed his shot, passing, and handle at all in college yet.

19. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Scoot is the truth

20. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Nook has a great big board he posted in the draft forum.