1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

$100k budget for a car

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Butterfingers, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Aww RUBBER BAND MAN! WILD AS THE TALIBAN!

Nook, IBTL, ramotadab and 1 other person like this.
  2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Something like this:

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Taycan for electric

For gas, all the American sports cars are studs for the dollar. Corvette, Camaro ZL1, Mustang GT500. I know someone spending 100k might be turned off that they are common cars with much cheaper options, but they seriously kick-ass performance-wise, they are as good as many of the 200k+ sports.

Nook likes this.
  4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

If you want electric, Taycan for sure. Porsche here in Houston even has a subscription service now that really isn’t cost prohibitive when you put pencil to paper, and it lets you pick from a stable of very nice vehicles to drive. Get tired of one, just sign up for another. Your price point though really screams M5 to me. Classy, comfortable and sporty.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I hadn't heard of the porsche subscription before so I had to look into it. $3,100 a month + tax if you want the ability to switch between models. ouch seems like a huge waste of money when at the end of the service you wouldn't own anything.

If I was looking to spend 100K I'd buy 2 different cars. I'd look at a used M3 or M5 for daily driving and a restro mod of something from the muscle care era for days when I felt like I needed some HP therapy. Cars are like music though. Everyone has different tastes.

Nook and ramotadab like this.
  6. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I'd rather pay for entry level Taycan versus fully loaded 5 series. Never really cared about getting the bigger or faster engine in a car when the exterior and interior is effectively the same. E350 versus E63 AMG for example.

7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

The human race sure is an interesting species.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

never have to worry about maintenance…..even tires. insurance is included. A clean new car is as easy as getting your owned vehicle washed….but without any cost. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not standing in line to do it, but my best bud has, and he shows up all the time in a pretty new Porsche. If I was considering a lease (which I NEVER have), I’d be hard pressed not to compare the two.

ramotadab and VooDooPope like this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

With technology being so integral, I don't think this is the case anymore. The upgrades to the interior are in large part tech now, not just materials and quality.

Taycan for performance, Tesla for swag and probably resale value.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

What's the difference in the cost of auto insurance between the two?

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you're paying for a Taycan, the problem is that the base model isn't really about performance as much as "show" and "hey, I'm electric!". It's got performance, but not "electric performance" that most people are used to. You'd need to bump up to something like 4S or Turbo to get that, and then the pricetag goes way over $100k by the time you start adding any options to it (just like most Porsches). By options, I mean stuff that's probably standard on cars half its cost.

From an "I don't care, I just want something that isn't an every day car", I'd take the Taycan. I actually like their interior But if I were going to spend $100k on a car, I'd buy something else. It's like you're paying the premium for the Porsche name without much of the Porsche performance. As a comparison, the Mustang Mach-E would probably keep up with a base Taycan for less than half the price. Of course, I'd rather have that Taycan interior and exterior.... by far. The other issue is if the range is enough. I think it only gets around 250 miles of range. If that's not a problem, then you can ignore that.

If you're just looking for exclusivity, I guess the Taycan would be the choice, too, since you don't see too many of them. The problem is that you don't get much exclusivity in the $75-$100k range. There are tons of those cars around town. So I guess it comes down to what you're looking for in the vehicle.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Base Taycan has regen roll up windows to help recharge the battery.

Pole likes this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

OP I like the taycan more but the sister (identical car) is the Audi E TRON GT

if you haven’t checked it out definitely do

ramotadab likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

85K for a tolerable diesel pickup, I priced them the other day and was a bit shocked

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

buy a new camry. it's dependable and it's toyota. then you can send me some of the huge savings you made from the purchase.

Invisible Fan, Squirtle and ElPigto like this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

My brother owns several cars. Mostly Dodge, but he's bought Jags and Ferrari's before. He's never spent 100k on one. He has sold them for that amount.

Cars are a depreciating asset. Never pay top dollar. Like my brother, look at them as value options.

17. KingCheetah

I wouldn't trust the boy who ruined Christmas.

Nook, jiggyfly and IBTL like this.
  18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Different brother. One's a millionaire & one's a moron.

I'm in between.

19. SunsRocketsfan

20. KingCheetah