1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duran Duran or Depeche Mode. Poll

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jan 14, 2022.

?

Which band was better?

1. Duran Duran

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Depeche Mode

54 vote(s)
    80.6%
  1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Family was into a variety of music growing up, likely due to musicians/vocalists in the family.

Great music on both camps and HOF caliber artists, I would lean heavier in Depeche Mode on this one though.

They're in the current playlist now, timeless stuff.

VanityHalfBlack and boomboom like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, John Taylor is an incredible bass player. Original recording of Rio seems to almost mute him some.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

power station >>>> duran duran

andy taylor shreds.

"What we really wanted to do was put this drummer out there in a way that we felt he deserved, so that song particularly was sort of designed to really showcase Tony," said bassist John Taylor. "I flew to Nassau in the Bahamas, which was where Robert Palmer lived at the time, and played him the demo that Andy and I had written and said, 'We’ve got this idea that we’re calling "Some Like It Hot."' And he just looked at me and said, 'And some sweat when the heat is on.' I was, like, 'Yes! That’ll do…'"

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Depeche Mode by far was better because they were the more consistent band. Duran Duran released a string of albums after Seven and the Ragged Tiger (4 of them) that were mediocre at best and then they had the great comeback album, "The Wedding Album" and they followed that up with the bomb, "Thank You". So I will take Depeche Mode every day of the week and twice on Sunday here.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to progress from genre to genre as I aged. I went from country to r&b/soul to top-40, but I always made fun of my friends that listened to "new wave" music. I always said it sounded like people banging on pots and pans and calling it music. Of course, eventually I succumbed around the time New Order really started gaining popularity in the 80s. After that, it was stuff like New Order, Depeche Mode, The Church, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc. before I jumped over to industrial music. lol.

The best thing about Substance was that it was one of the first times I listened to an album and have more than just 1 or 2 hits or songs that sounded really good. So many awesome songs on there... Bizarre Love Triangle, Blue Monday, and True Faith get all the hype, but Temptation, Confusion, The Perfect Kiss (frogs!), Subculture, Shellshock, and the B-sides/re-mixes are ridiculously good. Talk about value for the buck. lol.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The answer is...

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Duran Duran definitely had some of the best videos of all time.

8. KingCheetah

This is all after Joy Division as well.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah. I was going to say "are we including their time as Joy Division?" :D They lose their front-man genius to suicide and then say "wth... let's form this other band with a bit of a different sound" and still manage to be one of the greatest bands of that genre.

10. VanityHalfBlack

Was looking up the wedding album on vinyl and it was like $400? Damn records be expensive as hell these days. I might as well stick to CDs

11. VanityHalfBlack

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not to nitpick too much, but isn't Substance a compilation of all their singles pre-1987? I think they may have re-recorded/remixed/edited some of the singles, but it's still basically has the advantage of being a "greatest hits" record unless I'm missing some nuance.

By my measurements it is New Order > Depeche Mode > Duran Duran. But all are great. All five proper New Order albums in the 80s are essential in my opinion.

#72 DCkid, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  13. Buck Turgidson

Lips Like Sugar is easily a top-10 song from that era. Club-tastic.

gifford1967 likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No, you're right, but what I'm saying is that for me, that was my initial exposure to basically an entire album being good. For example, you could take the greatest hits of anybody at the time and I'll probably just skip through a lot of the stuff. For example, even groups like Depeche Mode's and U2's greatest hits, I'll just flick through and play the stuff I really like. With Substance, New Order had only been around about 5 or so years at the time, I think, and there usually wasn't a song I'd skip past. It's still one of my favorite albums ever.

jo mama and DCkid like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

KMFDM

16. KingCheetah

It is just like The Cure - Standing on a Beach -- people forget these bands formed in the late 70s.

17. Buck Turgidson

Talking Heads also.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, New Order's newer stuff from a few years ago is similar in style to their older stuff. But Depeche Mode, New Order, The Cure, Duran Duran, etc. all formed around the same time from what I recall. Or at least within a couple of years of each other. The one that always cracks me up is Kraftwerk. I think they were formed in the 1760s and fought in the American Revolution.

19. CrazyJoeDavola

Devo shouldn't even be in the same conversation as Mark Knopfler. Dude is a seriously underrated legend.

Buck Turgidson and FrontRunner like this.
  20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I could not agree more on the content of Substance. The hits are what they are, but the rest is brilliant and makes the record what it is.