1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn’t Jalen Green running the offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 15, 2022.

?

Is Silas a good coach?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2022.
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Its not saying he cant shoot which is what I was referring to. As a matter of fact they almost all agreed he would at some point average 30 ppg. Shooting wasnt a knock it was his defense that was a concern.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

Are you telling me you're not with the JGreen experience? :p

My thing is, if the org picked him over Mobley for offense, then you have to give him the offensive attempts, whether he takes advantage of that is up to him. Since he's not the official PG, the PG should be setting him for shots.

As far last night, both KPJ and Jalen did score some, their 3 ball wasn't falling.

3. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

The example is staring clearly at you in the OP's post; still thinking that Green's shortcomings can be fixed if we run the offense through him at this point in his career. Nobody said anything about his value not growing as his career progresses. At this stage though, there are a lot of posters here that are incapable of seeing the truth about his performance and choose to be in denial.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm shocked! When DD has made up his mind about a player, pro or con, he becomes a Circle C boulder with his initials carved into it . . . deep.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Green is being force fed attempts every single game despite being kind of terrible for nearly the entire season thus far......he's taking nearly 13 shots a game....behind only Christian Wood. Which is insane when we're talking about someone shooting 39% and an eFG% of .468.

How much more should we be doing to push one of the worst offensive players on the team?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Why isn't Tate running the offense? Imagine if Tate got the developmental coddling KPJ has gotten.

Dobbizzle and Deckard like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a trippy idea. Bring KPJ off the bench as a wing. It would at least be entertaining. Get Green open looks.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm 99% sure Tate played backup PG last year (before we acquired KPj? Possibly afterwards as well?)

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Scoot Henderson is basically what I wish KPJ would become, but I'm not sure KPJ has that PG make-up to do it.
    As for Jalen Green running the offense. Uh. You want him to post up in the paint and get blocked shots, too? What other fantasy can we concoct. I don't mind him bringing the ball up, but right now he needs to focus on his shot and putting on some weight.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Not every guard can transition into point guard/run offense seamlessly like harden. And even then we had posters btching about his assist:turnover ratio.

I'm fine green not running offense/ b a point guard, he needs to improve other areas of the game. It's the folks that simp for kpj to b the one to run our 9ffens3 is delusional.

Just grab a real point guard instead of forcing kpj into doing something he clearly sucks at

#50 DatRocketFan, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  11. Milos

Milos Member

I wonder what it would take to get Spurs to part with Dejounte Murray?

They haven't really even begun a long-overdue rebuild, and we have future picks to jumpstart that effort

Either EGo or Wood could match salaries, but both would have to be shipped elsewhere as part of 3way, since they make as little sense on SAS rebuild as they do here

Murray would be a great fit here IMO

He's a better playmaker than anyone we have
    He's also an elite defender and solid shooter who can play on and off the ball, switch onto bigger players, and has the team-first mentality Pop demands

I just have no idea what the plan is over there
    I thought Pop would leave when Duncan retired
    Then I thought he was surely done when Kawhi bailed
    Now 4 years later, Pop is still there, signing C-level free agents, playing vets and winning just enough not to have a top-5 pick

Anybody have any insight as to the plan over there?
    Are they just going to let Pop continue lingering in limbo indefinitely?

xaos likes this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Surely that needs no explanation. If you have one of the all time greatest coaches in history and they want to keep coaching, it's a good idea to let them...

13. xaos

xaos Member

Agreed. He's one of maybe 20 players I'd consider trading for to accelerate a rebuild.

Milos likes this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lol welcome to an ashleyem thread

15. Milos

Milos Member

I may not have the timeline right, but as I remember it, Pop sadly lost his wife sometime around then, correct?

Perhaps coaching is the only thing keeping him going, and if so, that organization is the epitome of a 'family', so if any would sacrifice multiple seasons for personal reasons, it would be the Spurs

But eventually even Landry, Bowden and other legends were politely asked to 'retire' once the wins stopped coming

16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ehh, 47% eFG isn't that bad, not as bad as you're making it out to be. There are 23 rookies in the league who shoot 5 or more shots per game, and out of those 23, Jalen is 14th in eFG. Below the middle, but there are a lot of rookies who are worse. Cade is worse than Jalen at 15th, taking 14.8 shots per game (more than Jalen), and Suggs is dead last at 23rd, taking 12 shots per game. Josh Giddey is also below Jalen in eFG, taking 12 shots per game.

So yeah, you'd like for him to be higher, but it's not like he's the worst rookie in the league or anything. He's middle of the pack.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he already might have run a number of plays........his assists were sharp.

18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

The wins aren't coming because he doesn't have the players. Do you seriously think if Pop had all star caliber players on the squad they wouldn't be one of the top teams in the NBA? Sounds more like a need for a new GM than a new coach.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's a difference between "not the worst among rookies" and "not bad"

47% eFG% is pretty much Westbrook's career average and he's one of the worst chuckers ever.... he's like the gold standard for chuckers.

My point was that the team continues to force feed him touches despite poor results.... they aren't picking on him or treating him unfairly.

I expect improvement from both Green and KPJ moving forward, but as of right now they amount to the worst starting guard duo in the NBA.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thanks, btw wheres alpi at?
    asking for a friend

harold bingo likes this.