1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] The Eternals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Watched it on Disney+.

Didn't think it was that bad, but the criticisms are there... stiff acting, meh plot and monsters, lines weren't light enough and more in tune with a Zack Snyder superhero flick.

It shows the difficulty of forming an ensemble cast like Justice League or Avengers. I do appreciate the characters being more realistic, which was a common complaint of Marvel movies. That this movie didn't do well helps show that what audiences really want are humanistic heroes with an aspirational journey they can escape into.

I guess expectations were lowered for a C+/B-, but I'd rather watch this again over Widow.

Jontro and Squirtle like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s out on the plus ?
    I’ll watch it but I heard it was boring that you can’t watch it all in one sitting.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Agreed. Finally saw it on Disney + last night with my wife. I'd give it like a B- as well. Still good though. Little long, but good.

Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Just saw it last night. Boy, it almost put me to sleep. One of the worst MCU movies to date, barely watchable.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

This movie was the definition of meh...

clos4life likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Has Angelina Jolie ever made a good movie?

(Not including Girl Interrupted)

clos4life and B-Bob like this.
  7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Kim, Squirtle and KingCheetah like this.
  8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Kung fu Panda. She was the tigress. You should know this "KingCheetah."

Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just finished. Not good. Writing was really bad. I hope Marvel just moves on and pretends this movie never happened.

clos4life, Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

Saw it on the plus too, and I liked. It has a lot of issues, but it took a difficult plot to get across to and they made it relatively easy for me to understand. It reminds me of how the first x-men movies had a lot of groundwork to lay and they were able to do it. But the monsters sucked. And the hero's kept backstabbing each other which did not always compute. Ironically, I liked the "suspicious" eternal the best. He came across as cool.

Squirtle and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think the length tried to show how much they loved humanity, but it still left out developing some of the characters. If there were two or three movies (thank god no) to show that, then this one wouldn't need that setup.

There wasn't anything particularly new or compelling with the monsters or heroes (what was Selma Hayek's power?). It's like they're just more characters to sell in the sandbox.

Thinking about it more, I'm not really sure why this movie exists other than to get around the Fox X-Men license from before they merged.

clos4life likes this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

robb stark was a horrible cast for ikaris, it was like he regressed and could only act with 1 emotion.

i would like to see a spinoff of bollywood kingo, seems like the only real character in the while movie. asian jennifer lawrence is pretty cute and athena is hot.

was anyone else underwhelmed by some of their powers? like jail bait's powers are pretty useless, as with ajax. I'm also surprised they survived for millions of years since they're not so indestructible

clos4life and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah their abilities were sometimes lame. Kingo doing pewpewpew with his hands like a toddler was dumb.

Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I thought the movie was decent. CGI monster/animal things just do nothing for me. They have done it so many times now just stop.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Yeah, I agree. He wasn't the best in this one.

Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I like all the concepts but not much of the execution with this movie.

I give it a C

Jontro likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m almost caught up on the Marvel stuff that’s been put out between Endgame and the latest Spiderman movie, I just have “What If…” and this left.

I’m wondering tho, is this something that absolutely needs to be seen, or can it be skipped? The short plot synopsis doesn’t excite me, and I see this got an absolute beatdown on Rotten Tomatoes. Is there anything significant in this movie?

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Personally, I think there are 2 or 3 things that might come back in the Marvel universe at some point.

If you wanted to skip it you could probably just see videos about the spoilers, mainly lingering thread at the end of the movie and what happens in the post credit sequence.

Everything else is kind of meh for me.....

Reeko likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Along with Girl Interrupted (which you mentioned), I through she was good in Mr. and Mrs. Smith with Brad Pitt, Pushing Tin (a underrated great movie with John Cusack and Billie Bob Thornton and Cate Blanchett) and The Bone Collector with Denzel.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Remains highly overrated as an actress.

GRENDEL likes this.