1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire David Culley as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 27, 2021.

?

Do you like the hire of David Culley?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2023.
  1. YES

10.9%
  2. NO

89.1%
  1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

What's frustrating is that Cal McNair, Nick Caserio and Pep Hamilton (new QB coach) have all reached out to Deshaun Watson trying to communicate. They can't resolve the issue because Watson won't return their calls. What Watson is doing is very wrong.

raining threes likes this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Would you return calls to your ex after telling them in the words of Taylor Swift "WE ARE NEVER EVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER" after all the wrongs they have done?

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Can’t agree with what he’s doing but if you look back at his comments about needing a culture shift, needing leadership and all but calling Easterby out by name. Not to mention things Cal publicly said about the GM search, Easterby etc...things have seemingly not changed at all and can argue that it’s gotten worse.

Not only do you still have Easterby in the building, he is seemingly still calling a lot of the shots. He "reportedly" talked Cal into hiring Caserio despite Cal saying he wouldn't be part of the search. On the other end, DW4 feels like he wasn’t actually part of it despite being told he would be. Cal never put in a request for EB despite requesting and interviewing other candidates prior to Caserio. And Saleh never even got an interview despite interviewing for every other opening.

Like I said, I can't condone what he's doing but from his standpoint, it's gonna be lip service. Cal's actions since taking over speak louder than anything he can say.

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

From a managerial perspective, surely all can see the problem with a player demanding that a front office executive be fired...

Again, it's hard to discern the exact problem because Watson is playing the silent game and won't return calls, but he seems to want Easterby fired... and that's apparently the source of the standoff. If the Texans fire Easterby, who is the next front office executive that a disgruntled player demands to be fired? What happens then? Soon you have a complete breakdown in management and chain of command. From a strictly managerial perspective, the Texans are doing what they must do right now. Many reading this have zero leadership experience, so they won't understand... but some will.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Watson is hurting his reputation a little, but I don't really blame him. Everyone can see that the Texans are falling apart at the seams, and he has obviously had enough. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't lost any respect for him, because the way he is handling this looks childish as hell, but at the same time I don't blame him any at all for wanting the hell out of Houston by any means possible.

6. Major

Major Member

This whole thread is a fun read to look back on.

raining threes and mario_v like this.
  7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess that was supposed to be some huge burn but you’ll have to explain how. Or not; either way works.

8. macho87

macho87 Member

Grand opening, grand closing

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member