1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Rogan destroying the D&D’s legacy cable news lovers, still king

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jan 12, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Anti vaxx is not the only thing he says politically, and he is definitely playing to a certain side of politics with his rhetoric.

I am not saying he actually leans one way or the other, but he is certainly catering to one side and mocking the other.

I don't think the most of the left actually has an opinion of him but he is certainly a hero to certain segment and the right will get in where they fit in.

That's why he is the modern day Rush he just does not have to claim he is coming down on a certain side of politics while all the while mainly catering to one side.

Maybe it changed when he stopped being stoner who just shoots the ****, its amazing that you want people to think that's all Rogan does.

Just a stoner shooting the ****?

Really?

VooDooPope and Nook like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

This is the dumbest damn thread in the history of this forum

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not a regular listener but he's been a great interviewer across a variety of topics. Women seem to have a bigger problem with Joe than men.

He's definitely got the fight club crowd, but I think it's bound to happen in this day and age.

I don't think men aren't victims, but men are dispossessed from a strong and consistent identity. This ranges from having a good paying job, dealing with a partner who earns more than you, living with society's expectations on how you should behave or having the emotional maturity to not **** every match on an app.

Bringing that up for conversation might open unintended wounds for what shouldn't be an emotional landmine, but there's a shitload of double standards our society imposes on men that are unspoken, and it's why we die sooner or are exposed to more mental illness (or drug abuse as a coping mechanism).

I haven't listened to him much lately but I suspect his libertarian rants are overplayed much like Chappelle's current drama. It gets him views and attention, and I don't thinking hiding from it would help him more than owning it.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No he didn't. Someone from his entourage did though. Not him.

Also, that's not a good standard to set for people. I mean, so many of American's founders have done horrible things and are used as authority's too.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't really listen to his show other than MMA content. Because every time I tuned into his content for non-MMA related contents he is always on and on about Alpha Brain, **** Fitness advice, Ape, monkeys and conspiracy theories. I am not into that stuff, so I just stopped listening to his non-MMA stuff. He also used to always have Eddie Bravo, Joey Diaz and Brendan Shaub and I don't like their sense of humor and find them annoying.

I have never listened to Rush, but did his podcast revolve around Weed, DMT, fitness, low level humor with idiots like Joey Diaz, Conspiracy, UFC etc. ?

Maybe you listen to Joe rogan more religiously than I do, because I used to get his contents in random clips on Youtube, and other than MMA it's just really repetitive with DMT, Apes and Elk meat which I have no interest in.

No Worries likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All facts there, can't argue with any of that.

tinman likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, sorry.... was (and still am a huge Tupac fan) but he was stupid, dropped his gun and it killed a kid. He tried to blame a relative, but I have looked into it quite a bit, and Tupac is who did it...... and he is the one that paid a large settlement with the family.

That also isn't the only issue Tupac had, he was a rapist as well.

If someone wants to look to Tupac for artistic inspiration or is a large fan of his music, or even cultural relavance, I get it..... however anyone thinking that he has anything more than that is being foolish.

As far as American Founders, we are talking about a different time period and people that accomplished things outside of that in government, philosophy, etc. I am not going to go to Mozart and look to him for guidance for anything outside of music.

apollo33 and Blatz like this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No, just the liberal conspiracy against hard working American and their right to be dicks to everyone.

Nook likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

My thing is this, no one is saying that he was a perfect person or anything close to it, but I think it's wrong to invalidate him for that. I can agree with him being 'stupid' in that moment but not overall. What he said in that video is mirrored by entire economic principles we debate on here and other places all year long. I mean in that video, what did he say that was stupid? If Chomsky said the same thing (and he has basically) is he also stupid? I don't see anything in that video as being stupid. Debatable, maybe, but stupid?

As for the founders. They (at least some) knew what they did was wrong. Jefferson had slaves AND raped them. He knew it was wrong. The Founders even recognized slavery was wrong. Jefferson knew it was wrong but he enjoyed owning people, especially the women. It is what it is. Jefferson even argued that it was wrong and against nature, yet still did it. He knew. But Jefferson believing in liberty for all people is something I can agree on despite knowing that he owned slaves and also raped them.

If you're going to make an argument that they were a product of their environment then make the same point for Tupac. He was a product of his environment as much as anyone else was. He was surrounded by murderers that (likely) ended up murdering him. He was also a poet before ever being a musician and a thespian. But, being from that kind of environment, knowing gang members, I do empathize that it's not easy for people to break away from that. You don't just get to walk away from it, especially when you're as big as he became. He definitely got caught up in a lifestyle that would be his downfall...but again I'd argue that at his heart he was that poet that found a form of music that he could inject his rhyme into and was taken advantage of by the gang he had sworn himself to who he likely felt a debt to because they had made his career.

I don't think it's fair to just throw aside the opinions of artists especially when their philosophy, beliefs, and reality (which then reflects the world) is blended into their art. That was definitely the case of Tupac. So it would be hard for me to say their art was great but we shouldn't listen to anything else they have to say about the world when the world itself influences their art. I think Tupac said a lot of things outside of music that should definitely be listened to and a lot of the good things he's said is in his music too.

At the end of the day, his opinions on the world I feel are as valid as anyone else's, his profession shouldn't invalidate them. We can look at what he's said and go "This thing he said was dumb" or "Actually he's spot on about this." but I don't think he was a dumb or an idiot.

I guess this holds true for Rogan. Joe Rogan says some dumb stuff sometimes and sometimes he says some smart things. That's everyone...or...well...we do have some people that more consistently say stupid things too...although I think Rogan is just your average dude that says dumb things and smart things. I know I've said dumb things sometimes. Live and learn.

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I am not saying Tupac was stupid or not capable of being insightful, he obviously was and the duality of him is a large part of why he is still relevant. He was incredibly smart and talented. However, over time we forget that the same person that would take principles that he learned from his family (black panthers) that were positive (eating better, personal responsibility, empathy) is the same person that constantly was involved in violence, dropped a gun that killed a kid, raped women and ultimately screwed with the wrong person and died from it. So when I see someone hold him up as virtuous and an authority on how to live, I have to slap it down... because if you or I did the things he did, we wouldn't be viewed positively.

As for the forefathers, and especially in the case of Jefferson I DO think that we have to point out the fact that the man did terrible unethical things and his case it is WORSE because he knew they were wrong and he clearly felt guilt for them but still did them. Look at Washington, He had slaves and he would refer to them as property is official documents and he did not champion the ideal of all men being equal. Washington didn't even think all white men were equal... yet there is no evidence of Washington ever raping his slaves, there is no evidence of Washington abusing his slaves and he made sure he financially could free them when his wife died. Who was really worse?

As for Tupac, he wasn't dumb but he was an idiot... there is a difference. I think he is like John Lennon, he said many progressive and inspiring and altruistic things, but their inability to live their life like they discussed makes their message less impactful to me.

As for Joe Rogan, I admire his hard work and how strongly he believes in himself, but that doesn't mean I think his opinions are worth a damn.

jiggyfly, Patience and JayGoogle like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Just wait another 12 hours.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cable news lovers are mad
    Their team is in last place
    @Os Trigonum

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

TL;DR

Tupac wasn't a great role model, but what about the founders?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

@Space Ghost
    These Legacy News lovers
    Still use coax cable in the back of their CRTs

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did anyone tell you yet you aren't as funny as you think you are? But props to dedicating a full quarter of your existence to this shtick. Some people want to have a family and retire spending time with grandchildren and some people want to repeat the same jokes for 20+ years on a NBA team fan message board.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

First of all, how many of you know what Podcasts are?
    I'm talking to you who posts Fox News all day here

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Excellent question.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

There’s this thing called an iPod
    And they had shows you can download to it
    They called it a podcast

I know the D&D Bernie Sanders fans like their Comcast cable tv on their rca tv , but the cool thing about the iPod is that you can bring it with you

the D&D legacy news people can bring it to Luby’s or when they return videos at Blockbuster

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I still record the Bernie rallies on VHS in my VCR.

FranchiseBlade and tinman like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sony-original-walkman-tps-l2.0.1406747932.0.jpg

tinman likes this.