1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The filibuster is unconstitutional

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by subtomic, Jun 8, 2021.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that Trump's campaign also supplied data to Russian agents. The Russians leaked emails for Trump's campaign. Each gave the other something in exchange for what they got. We don't know for sure about what other promises were made or not made.

But we do know that each gave each other something. They each provided a service for the other in exchange for services they received or expected to receive.

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fair enough as well, to me that seems a long way from "collusion" but I understand your point better now

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there is proof of collusion beyond a reasonable doubt. Trump's campaign gave information to the Russians at a minimum (polling data). That is proven. Russia performed services in exchange (email releases). That is also proven.

There are reasons why that didn't mean that a crime was committed. But Russians officials and Trump's campaign were working together.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don’t understand. Is the suggestion here that Republicans work to make Republicans lose? :D

TheresTheDagger and basso like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m supporting your argument that both parties have used it and it has been used for than just to block civil rights legislation.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that It should be a talking filibuster and have said before that a Senator should have to hold the floor physically. I was pointing out that both parties have used it for more than just blocking civil rights legislation.

The Republicans when in majority have limited the Filibuster and have event threatened to do with it entirely themselves.

#129 rocketsjudoka, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    jiggyfly and mtbrays like this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm skeptical Schumer actually wants to eliminate the filibuster. He doesn't have 50 votes for most things, much less 60. And he is going to lose the Senate in a year, so why make the same mistake Harry Reid did?

If Schumer doesn't eliminate the filibuster, McConnell won't either.

basso likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

McConnell said no Supreme Court nominee in an election year and then pushed through one literally in the last few weeks of an election year. Only idiots would trust him.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Only shows you can go back in time and find something that contradicts a current position...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

What a two faced b****...she was voted in by being progressive and now she's pretty much been bought and paid for by big pharma and other major corporations. I hope with every fiber of my being that Sinema and Manchin get voted out EVEN IF a Republican takes their place.

She should also be ashamed of giving that speech with a cross necklace on...guess she forgot her flag pin.

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

She went from earning 32k in 2018 to having a net worth of a million dollars.

Scrimping on coupons and socking those savings into a 401k goes thaaaat far.

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

McConnell has already eliminated the filibuster. He did this to carve out getting a Supreme Court nominee through without 60 votes.

So by your standards you think it's appropriate to carve out a filibuster exception for a Supreme Court nominee who is so partisan that he/she cannot get 60 votes but not okay to carve out a filibuster in order to protect the very very basic right to vote???

Tell me again you are an autocratic hack without telling me you are an autocratic hack.

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

19. TheresTheDagger

This is my favorite D&D post in years.

Invisible Fan and Andre0087 like this.
  20. TheresTheDagger