1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Culley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 5, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I already answered this, but it was probably spread across several threads.

Yes. Mills did better under worse circumstances than his peers. It's part of why I'm so bullish on him.

However, we're talking about 11 total starts here. We don't really know what we have, but it feels good to know we have something.

I think the chances of him being a total washout are very low, but there's a big difference between a career backup/journeyman and a franchise QB. Can't wait to see what happens.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

You heard the Texans Legend™!

#282 J.R., Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  3. raining threes

Thanks for the reply.

This helps put things in better context for me and gives me hope that the future could be very bright, despite what the numbers say about a 3rd rd picks chances of becoming a franchise QB.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not even counting his draft spot against him. Like I said, I don't put a ton of stock in what draft experts think.

Kid is punching above his weight. That's all that matters. We just need more data points.

My biggest worry is that Mills is going to play just well enough to retain plausible deniability that he can be a franchise QB since he's been saddled with this roster and Culley & Co.

You don't want your QB experiments dragging on for years and years, because opportunity cost is a real thing.

It's going to be really interesting seeing how Mills and Culley's fates will be decided next year. Are they linked together, or can one outlast the other?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Bob McNair's ghost still wants his money back Ed......

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

This is actually an extremely good and often understated point. Bill O'brien also did some good things with less than good at QB, but other than that, none of them had a decent QB to work with. Some of them tried to make it work, and some of those cases the GM failed them, I mean without A-aron, the Packers have been REALLY bad... but when you have a great one behind center, it can cover a MULTITUDE of problems!

#287 primtim24, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    raining threes and mario_v like this.
  8. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

This IS Easterby’s burner

charlieaustin and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

From Marco (@Marco_Mier1976): So if David Culley is gone, is the rest of the coaching staff gone too? Can you think of anyone not named Josh McDaniels that would be a fit?

(Breer): Marco, if Culley’s gone, I wouldn’t necessarily say the rest of the staff is—offensive coordinator Tim Kelly could certainly stick around if Nick Caserio were to hire McDaniels or Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo. Remember, Kelly was a holdover from the Bill O’Brien staff, so he’s a sort of cousin to that family and would likely match up philosophically with a New England–centric hire. Also, Kelly had a really good relationship with Deshaun Watson and has done a nice job coaching Davis Mills this year.

If Culley’s out and it’s not McDaniels? The two obvious names are Mayo and Josh McCown. Caserio and Houston EVP Jack Easterby know Mayo well from New England, and Easterby took a liking to McCown after the former quarterback spent 2020 as the team’s emergency quarterback. McCown was offered a spot on the Eagles’ coaching staff after spending a year-plus there, and interviewed for the Houston job last year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/12/mailbag-brian-flores-firing-deshaun-watson-trade

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I almost hope it’s McCown just so there’s no question who is actually calling the shots.

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Easterby?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Fiah

Fiah Member

Does Culley even have the authority to make changes?

raining threes, whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

John C Prepper 98...

John Carroll University. 98 as in 1998....the college and class of Nick Caserio. He played there from 95-98.

mikol13 and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

He has the authority to make one move.... fire himself.... I'll go on record as saying I think he should get one more year to complete the "agreement". But I would let him go for Brian Flores in a heartbeat. Flores has had success with what was a pretty bad roster, but he's kept them competitive.

As for Culley, he says so many things that I just can't help but laugh at how clueless he sounds.

Here he is telling the media he had nothing to do with how well they played in the 2nd half... "At halftime I didn't even know what to say".. Ha ha!

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/coach-david-culley-says-really-174740994.html

Fiah, Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. raining threes

You can say this about almost every QB not named Elway/Mannings.

I bet you would've felt this way early in Brady or Montana's 1st/2nd seasons. I'm just looking forward to seeing how all of this plays out. I choose to hope for a bright future, Mills certainly has the athletic ability and mind to be a very successful QB. The only thing he's missing is experience. IMHO

Rudyc281 likes this.