1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Milos

Milos Member

As others mentioned, I think context matters

For one, OKC was the sixth seed, so rookie development was nowhere near as important to 16-17 OKC as it is to these Rockets

Secondly, this was also the Westbrick breakout season, his first out from under Durant's shadow
    His first averaging a triple-double, when his Usage ballooned to an absurd 42%

So in addition to actually trying to win games for playoffs seeding, they were entirely designed to highlight Russ and pad his stats to obscene levels

In his best year to date, Sabonis peaked at about 22 PPG, 12 RPG, 7 APG
    He is also 13th among active players with his 16 career triple-doubles, already good for 36th all-time

That's pretty much where I see Sengun peaking in his prime if everything goes well with his personal / the team's development
    More steals/blocks, a little less scoring playing next to Green, but more or less the same production overall

That would see him become one of the top 5-7 Centers in the NBA, and among the top 20-30 players overall

That's a pretty high ceiling
    You think I'm undervaluing his potential?

In the current season, Sabonis is top-10 overall in WS (5th) and VORP (8th), as well as 16th overall in PER

Maybe Sengun does ascend to top3 among Centers, or even the best, but I don't see him evolving into an MVP like Embiid or Jokic
    I'm hoping for something approaching Bam Adebayo level

#641 Milos, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    aaquaa likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

senguns floor is yanis
    his average trajectory is goat
    his ceiling unimaginable

only one person in this universe can stop him...

harold bingo and aaquaa like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm having an Abe Simpson moment, Boys getting perms seems anti-god.

aaquaa likes this.
  5. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

[​IMG]
    This meanie? :D
    (Actually Yurt7's averages for the last 10 are 10.6 pt.s - 14.4 reb.s - 2.0 asst.s. Yay Turk!)

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Again, the "context" argument is defeated by the fact that Sengun is PLAYING FEWER MINUTES than Sabonis did as a rookie. Sengun is doing more while playing less and taking a similar number of shots as Sabonis. And, again, Sabonis was 20 whereas Sengun is 19. If anything, the "context" is that Sabonis should have had better stats in certain areas, such as assists, since he had better talent around him, and less focus on him from the other team.

aaquaa likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

love him, but he doesnt have to play against silus every night

silus would take a good care of him and make him look a like a real scrub

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

11. hakeemthagreat

But is he our best player still? Lol

12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The Legend will be back Friday. He will have no mercy on the Kings

clos4life and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Turkish League MVP doesn't mean much other than he is NBA worthy. So many NBA players today could be its MVP handily. He is a great player for his age, but the suggest that is any indication he could be the NBA MVP is kind of getting into really different territory. Do I think it is possible he becomes MVP? Yes for sure because his potential and aptitude look nice. Likely? Who the hell knows! It's one rookie and one season. Let's see if he plateaus or not.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

To be specific, it is just about half a season which makes things even more ridiculous.

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I can make a case he's our best player. With a team this bad all the players are pretty equal. We literally lost by 20 plus in 4 games without him.

aaquaa likes this.
  16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He is definitely our best facilitator, meaning the offense will generally run a lot smoother when he is on the court. As for being the best, which is an individual thing, I would put Ego, non-apathetic Wood, and post-injury Green above him. Ego and non-apathetic Wood are both explosive scorers, Ego especially. That's not to say Sengun won't end up better, just that the former are much more polished from a scoring perspective due to years of playing and refining. Green post injury has been fantastic at scoring as well, but I need more than a few games to call any degree of consistency. Now, if we are talking about the 19 year old version of all the players, only Ego and Green have a case of being better. People sometimes forget that Ego was looking to break into stardom before injuries brought him back to earth early on.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes.

aaquaa likes this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

per 36

C Wood 20.1 pts on 15.6 field goal attempts
    E Gordon 18.3 pts on 12.7 attempts
    A Sengun 17.6 on 12.3 attempts

Statistically, Gordon is a ahead. Wood and Sengun are similar. Of course Sengun does it on limited time but it is still 20 minutes per game, not too little by any means. And he is not the focus of the team in scoring.

That matches my eye test too. I would put Gordon as the best player and a number of players from the rest of the pack can be argued to be the best depending on perspective.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if only he needed to play vs kings... he first need to beat Silus

aaquaa and clos4life like this.
  20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Agree, otherwise he will have no mercy for 12-15 minutes and watch the rest of the game from the bench.

aaquaa likes this.