1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Glad you posted this. Vecenie badly wants the Rockets to move Wood. He views Wood as a major impediment to developing our young players. Pretty much all of them, not just Sengun. Something to consider for those ready to lynch the guy (certainly not you) because he said that there are aspects of Alpi's game that need work, particularly defense. That shouldn't be surprising, since Sengun came from what is often considered the 3rd toughest European league, to the toughest professional basketball league on the planet.

"I’m totally in on him offensively to the point that I would move Wood at the first chance possible — then again, I’ve been pretty clear about saying I’d do that since the preseason — in order to get as many minutes into Sengun as possible as a developmental project."

That sounds reasonable to me. I've wanted Wood to be another team's problem for a long time. Not quite the way Vencenie put it, but how I view Wood. A flawed player who should be better than he is, and who's a terrible fit on the Rockets. Like so many others here, I want Sengun to get more minutes. Send Wood on his way and a lot of minutes are there for there taking.

2. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Mr. Jason Williams himself gave my man Alpi for his behind the back assist vs the Celtics.

#622 aaquaa, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alpi:
    [​IMG]

DreamShook, Mathloom and clos4life like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Imagine if Silas was willing to give the kid some burn.

AroundTheWorld and aaquaa like this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Rookie of the year without a doubt and in a year or two league MVP... He is that good, some teams go 20 years without landing a true franchise player. Rockets got one in their first try and Silas wont play him...

AroundTheWorld, Ankara1923 and aaquaa like this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah... I agree with ROY... But MVP? I would say that is far off. Let's get past the first year and then think about that.

clos4life, AroundTheWorld and 18pbr like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How about giving the Rockets fans all the votes in the ROY contest?

Rockets ROY every year during the rebuild.

Sengün is pretty good.

Salvy likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lmao. White Chocolate was by far not the best passer.

You have to differentiate between passing that leads to tons of points versus flashy passes that make the highlight reels.

I hope Sengün learns from practical passers.

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

It seems far off but Sengun was already Turkish League MVP, no that league is not The NBA but its still one of the top leagues in the world. He won that at 19 yrs old.... At 23-24 I can see him being one of the top players in The NBA. If Westbrick can get one then Sengun can too...

AroundTheWorld, aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  11. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Oh I don't care, flashy assists still count & they're fun to watch too.
    9/10 baybeee... Champion of my heart. :D

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. vator

vator Contributing Member

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

ROY is based more heavily on scoring and he doesn't have enough minutes for people to vote for him on it. Plus, very few people would consider him the best rookie. I doubt most would even rank him in the top 5 outside of his groupie of fanatics on this board. As for MVP, Jesus... can we pump the brakes?

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

15. Milos

Milos Member

And he doesn't even have a jumpshot yet ...

I'd set his ceiling around what Sabonis is now for IND
    Less scoring but greater DEF impact

That's not really a #1 type of player for a title squad
    But a solid #2
    And hopefully an outstanding #3 with a little luck on Green and the draft

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The biggest challenge for Sengun to overcome is his general lack of vertical burst. Even when he dunks, it's like he barely made it over the rim. Being crafty in the NBA can only get you so far and the NBA is really good on adjusting to one's usual bag of tricks. A reliable jumper will definitely greatly expand his arsenal. At the same time, in addition to working with Hakeem, I really hope our development coaches park his ass in front of a TV and play videos of Scola and McHale 24/7.

aaquaa, Milos and jiggyfly like this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

When I read posts like this, I wonder if people understand what "ceiling" means.

Sabonis only averaged 5 PPG his rookie season despite spending two years in college. Sengun is averaging nearly double that despite playing FEWER minutes than Sabonis did his rookie season -- a rookie season, again, when he was older than Sengun is now. Sengun is also averaging more rebounds and assists per game than Sabonis's rookie season.

harold bingo and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You want to go and look at who sabonis was playing with his rookie year as opposed to what Sengun is playing with.

Context matters, and what Sabonis did in his rookie year has nothing to do with what Sengun is doing currently or what his ceiling is.

What do you think ceiling has to do with this, why do you think what their stats their rookie year has to do with anything?

Milos likes this.
  19. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

In terms of stat comparison, maybe second year Sabonis would be more appropriate, since Sengun comes from a pro league compared to Sabonis coming from college. Especially for a center, that could make a difference. Sengun however, is younger and more skilled and have the potential to be much better. I think his average trajectory is Sabonis.

20. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

[​IMG]
    Best player & comes from a good family too.

dmoneybangbang and hakeem94 like this.