1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The importance of PnR and why Wood has to go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards likes this.
  4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's little things like this that don't show up on the stats sheet that make Wood a losing player. KPJ does similar stupid mistakes that make his terrible stat line overrate how he played.

aaquaa and clutchdabear like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't even know what the right fit for Wood is.

An all offense big man who doesn't create and doesn''t defend either big or small seems like a liability/luxury on a team that has a good perimeter threat - which is basically all good teams.

saleem and ElPigto like this.
  6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Where did you see that stone refused to resign Kelly?

saleem likes this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Sorry for my ignorance, maybe there were some news last summer about FA Kelly i missed…
    So?
    Its Kelly who dunt want to play for Rockets, leaving n sign with Detroit?!
    He is a much better defender n have better 3PCT in comparison w theis, also he never feel 'shame' of setting screen for mates while comparing w cwood.
    I followed his Twitter, i saw him showing tons of enthusiasm about playing for h-town, unless i missed something, i have felt zero double about his willingness.

aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes a great player just need a leader, perhaps a coach(?) who will motivate him and make him dedicated to details...

you think coaching is just a bs profession, just to have someone take photos and do press conferences?
    get yourself educated, wood is much better at playing bb then you are at analyzing it...
    you lack attention to details and a reality check...
    [​IMG]

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

An Olynyk / Wood front court means Wood is primarily defending 5's. Wood does not want to defend big men.

Twiggy wants to impersonate KD .... playing as a wing, not a big or even a stretch big.

That might work if you have the right players at the 4 & 5 but Tate & Theis aren't those guys. Theis has no gravity as a shooter or as a roll man. That's why he leads the team in # of open & wide open 3's & Tate doesn't hit a high enough percentage from outside.
    You can't have more than 1 non-shooter on the floor ... and it would help to have a real lead guard.

jcmoon likes this.
  11. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

w/o any double, cwood does not want do many little things on court except for putting up big numbers aw well as play iso ball.

Last season i was having high hopes of his joining in as much as d-rock does…but nobody could expect that his eq is so horrible low n so impatient to do those very little things, so eager to prove himself in order to draw great deal of attention from teams who got the potential to give him a fat contact.

Agree.
    That's why i think olynyk should have been the right person, also he could have been a good tutor to many young players esp sengun.

aaquaa and Corrosion like this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember that play! I was thinking OMG why is he just standing around off to the side instead of getting in there and double teaming Drummond and playing some defense or at least fighting to block a shot or grab the rebound.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You can't blame crap like this on coaching. He knows what to do, he simply refuses to do it.

But he's a great player .... great at getting his and leaving his team hung out to dry.

And you wonder why we don't want to pay this guy max money? Or why we want to trade him for whatever we can get in return?

The scarecrow had no brains, tin man had no heart, lion was a coward, and the wizard was a liar & Twiggy is all of the above.

14. futilman

futilman Member

Garuba can PnR

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ok I can see now that his shooting is dipping which explains the bbs whining so much about him. He's just a better shooter than 34%, that's going to go back up.

More importantly, for the first meaningful time in his life, he is averaging more assists than TO's. This is always something that happens before a big man "gets it" on offense, and it normally takes a few years with gifted post players you can see it in the box score stats of all time C's. That doesn't mean he will be amazing, but it means he is understanding winning-offense better and I would say more than half of bigs don't even make it to this point.

I've said with Wood before, someone will give him a winning culture and within 3-6months he will grow into a higher tier of player. That can be us, we can have the improved Wood if we develop him. That's certainly worth more than one 15ish pick.

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Where does that say he'll play defense, stop deliberately switching short guard on to them because he's scared to face them and learn to set picks? All of those things need to happen before he even sniffs being a higher tier player.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tate seems like a great glue guy. He may learn the 3 point shoot over time and he has a lot of PJ tucker-esque qualities. Why do you think he'll be gone?

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, something has to change for something to change. Also, not everything has to change. He can suck at several things and still be a top 3 player on a champion, it happens every year. Draymond Green can't shoot or score efficiently, and scoring is what the whole game is about. Klay Thompson can't create for people. Khris Middleton keeps settling for lazy shots. Kevin Love can't and couldn't ever guard the perimeter nor dominate the post.

Again, it's ridiculous to say he will never become something or the other. There's an organization out there that will do it. We can be the sore losers, dump him and say no one can do it, but that's a worse attitude than Wood displays.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wait wait wait....I thought we had the next coming of Larry Bird? It's curious how those die-hard Wood defenders last month, drooling over arbitrary stats, are pretty much quiet right now.

aaquaa likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There was a time when I defended Wood and wondered if his next contract might be a max one .... mainly based upon his stats and shooting splits - they are "unicorn-ish" when you realize only 5 players in the entire league posted 20 points , 10 boards and shot better than 37% from 3 last season - three of those dudes are making max money and the other two are Wood and Randle who's earning $117m over 4.

It's just been recently, since they went away from the 2 big lineup that Wood has clearly shown who he is and his selfishness.
    When it became obvious that he was refusing to defend big men was in the December 20 game against the Bulls where EG ended up defending Vucevic on 4 consecutive possessions.
    3 days later Myles Turner stars the game with 6 points and 5 boards in the first 3 minutes because Wood refused to rotate onto him.

There's the video from the 76ers game the other day where Christopher is stuck on Drummond with the ball on the opposite wing, Christopher telling Wood to switch - He refuses, Christopher returns to Drummond who gets the rebound and the put back. Drummond ended up with 13 and 10 in 17 minutes. Embiid had 31and 8. That's 44 & 18 from the center position ....

They signed Theis for that very reason - so Wood didn't have to defend those bigger players but the two big lineup has proven itself a disaster which leads to Wood now being the lone big man on the court most of the time. He should be taking on the challenge of defending those big men, not running from it like a b!tch.

Then there's the issue of refusing to set a screen on the offensive end - he slips the screen before contact damn near every time which essentially leaves the ball handler double teamed .... That's not team ball.

Without a doubt Wood has handcuffed Silas and the team on both ends of the court.